autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

marine 31 products and appropriate pads to remove swirls

Hey mike,

I would like to try the marine 31 products. Can you give me an idea of the compound and polishes as well as the corresponding pads that you would use to remove swirls from gel coat using a rotary polisher only.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips

Re: marine 31 products and appropriate pads to remove swirls

Quote Originally Posted by aplus View Post

Hey mike,

I would like to try the marine 31 products. Can you give me an idea of the compound and polishes as well as the corresponding pads that you would use to remove swirls from gel coat using a rotary polisher only.

Thank you.

Sure. Do yourself a HUGE favor and forget about the other compounds and polishes in the Marine 31 line and just get this,

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

The other products are good, just as good as any competing product in the same categories - BUT this product ROCKS!

Then for heavy cutting use a wool pad on your rotary and for polishing?

I guess a foam "polishing" pad - rotary buffers always leave holograms in everything so I never finish out with them. Thus don't have a great recommendation for you. But a basic foam "polishing" pad should remove the holograms by the FIBERS left by the wool cutting pad.

The Captain's Compound is the ONLY abrasive product I use or show in my boat classes and it never fails. I created this thread to document all my boat classes. To date, there's really no other boat detailing classes in the market. And for sure, none that are as photo-documented as mine. There's also no PICTURES for any boat class showing people on their FEET actualy working on and TRAINING on actual BOATS.

If you click this link, in it are MORE LINKS to the full write-ups from my classes and except for a few where we used cleaner/waxes, all the rest show boats that were compounded and polished with the Captain's Compound.

Boat Detailing Training - Before & After Pictures - The MOST DOCUMENTED HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Classes - Autogeek - Stuart, Florida

In my boat detailing book - The Autogeek store says it's discontinued? I had planned to update it? Anyways.... in it, I say throughout the book when it comes to my time, I'm only using the Captain's Compound. It's that good.

When I detail boats or teach detailing boats, we START with rotary buffers but finish out with the BEAST. But any orbital will leave a nicer finish than a rotary on gel-coat.

Mike Phillips

Also, sorry for the late reply, I was a tick busy actually walking the talk.

I don't think anything I type on this forum or anywhere would mean squat if I didn't actually do the the thing I type about.

Started on this at 6:30am, finished at 12:30pm

And I've been sharing lots of "technique" videos from this project on my Facebook page

Mike Phillips - Home | Facebook

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Sure. Do yourself a HUGE favor and forget about the other compounds and polishes in the Marine 31 line and just get this,

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

The other products are good, just as good as any competing product in the same categories - BUT this product ROCKS!

Then for heavy cutting use a wool pad on your rotary and for polishing?

I guess a foam "polishing" pad - rotary buffers always leave holograms in everything so I never finish out with them. Thus don't have a great recommendation for you. But a basic foam "polishing" pad should remove the holograms by the FIBERS left by the wool cutting pad.

The Captain's Compound is the ONLY abrasive product I use or show in my boat classes and it never fails. I created this thread to document all my boat classes. To date, there's really no other boat detailing classes in the market. And for sure, none that are as photo-documented as mine. There's also no PICTURES for any boat class showing people on their FEET actualy working on and TRAINING on actual BOATS.

If you click this link, in it are MORE LINKS to the full write-ups from my classes and except for a few where we used cleaner/waxes, all the rest show boats that were compounded and polished with the Captain's Compound.

Boat Detailing Training - Before & After Pictures - The MOST DOCUMENTED HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Classes - Autogeek - Stuart, Florida

In my boat detailing book - The Autogeek store says it's discontinued? I had planned to update it? Anyways.... in it, I say throughout the book when it comes to my time, I'm only using the Captain's Compound. It's that good.

When I detail boats or teach detailing boats, we START with rotary buffers but finish out with the BEAST. But any orbital will leave a nicer finish than a rotary on gel-coat.

Thanks mike I just ordered the captains compound. I will try it out this week.

Mike Phillips

Thanks mike I just ordered the captains compound. I will try it out this week.

Remember, anytime you're using a wool pad on a rotary and especially when removing oxidized gel-coat - clean your pad often.

Besides giving a cleaner cut, the residue left behind will be easier to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished working on my Cobalt 242. Used Marine 31 compound n polish with wool ( only had the LC pads lambs wool with blue foam backing) using the XCE 8 cordless, followed by Marine 31 polish n wax using Rupes coarse blue pads on XCE cordless, seems to work pretty nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marine 31 products and appropriate pads to remove swirls-baac7bb5-1a1b-4bf8-bc51-da9c69a66bdb-jpg  
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

One more pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marine 31 products and appropriate pads to remove swirls-4dc0b3bc-dbbd-4181-8915-12ac151462cf-jpg  
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember, anytime you're using a wool pad on a rotary and especially when removing oxidized gel-coat - clean your pad often.

Besides giving a cleaner cut, the residue left behind will be easier to remove.

Hey mike,

When working on bigger boats, 50 + what is the best / fastest way to remove the sealer. I see some people removing by hand which seems to be very time consuming, and I have seen others using a yellow wool pad on a rotary. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Hey mike,

When working on bigger boats, 50 + what is the best / fastest way to remove the sealer.

I see some people removing by hand which seems to be very time consuming, and I have seen others using a yellow wool pad on a rotary.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

What do you mean by sealer?

Do you mean a previous applied wax or sealant?

If so - if you're going to "buff" out the boat - the buffing process will OBLITERATE any previously applied sealer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by sealer?

Do you mean a previous applied wax or sealant?

If so - if you're going to "buff" out the boat - the buffing process will OBLITERATE any previously applied sealer.

Sorry, I meant after you have done your polishing and are applying your final coat of wax or polymer sealer.