autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Rub Marks from Boat Cover

Hey guys, I recently got back from a trip and noticed my boat cover was in contact with the bow of my bass boat and created these rub marks. Sorry for the picture quality, it was hard to capture and this was the best I was able to do.

I was able to reduce them significantly with some elbow grease, a microfiber towel, and 3d one polish. The time it took wasn't really effective though so I'm looking for an alternative.

I do have a GG long throw polisher, but my pads are 5-6" and I'm not sure they would work on that area. I've got my eye on the Marine 31 Captain polish and UV50 coating.

Would you recommend a machine with smaller pads for these areas? I figure I can use the bigger machine for the larger areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Rub Marks from Boat Cover

Yes I’d get smaller pads, I use mine on most of the cap, consoles and there’s a lot of small areas to use it. Make sure you tape off the rub rail before you polish. I used to have a black ChampioN and learned to never tow with the cover on, overtime the cap gets really messed up

I like the Meguiar 3” Cutting microfiber pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Yes I’d get smaller pads, I use mine on most of the cap, consoles and there’s a lot of small areas to use it. Make sure you tape off the rub rail before you polish. I used to have a black ChampioN and learned to never tow with the cover on, overtime the cap gets really messed up

I like the Meguiar 3” Cutting microfiber pads
    Thanks for the reply! I have a Charger, it's about as close as you can get to a champ IMO. They're even remaking some of their older hull designs.

Hm, I've got the Griots g21 polisher right now. I don't think any of the 3in backing plates from griots are designed to work with that? Is anyone aware if there is a backing plate that will work? Or would you recommend a different machine designed for that and what would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

You’ll need a different machine like the small Griots Garage and you’ll need the smaller backing plate. You’ll have a lot of uses for the smaller machine so it’ll help you with your truck or other parts of the boat.
    I have a Legend so that makes the last 2 boats I’ve owned the companies closed! I’ve driven in the Charger version of the 210 and it was nice. My next one will be a Phoenix depending on how the economy rebounds

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    You’ll need a different machine like the small Griots Garage and you’ll need the smaller backing plate. You’ll have a lot of uses for the smaller machine so it’ll help you with your truck or other parts of the boat.
    I have a Legend so that makes the last 2 boats I’ve owned the companies closed! I’ve driven in the Charger version of the 210 and it was nice. My next one will be a Phoenix depending on how the economy rebounds
    You think the small griots will be powerful enough? I see flex and rupes both have a smaller version... At a significantly higher cost.

I'd love a new boat, but for the type of fishing I do this one fits perfectly. Only thing I wish I had was a GPS enabled trolling motor... I can't believe they're 3 grand!

Mike Phillips

I think your Griot's Garage BOSS polisher would tackle this area, just keep the middle of the pad centered on it and you should have no problem maintaining pad rotation.

Also - the Marine 31 Captain's Compound/Polish is the real deal. By this I mean, it uses GREAT abrasive technology. Everything I've ever used it on including car paint has come out perfect.