autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!

Thanks Aaryn, beginners luck perhaps?

No that's not fair... Its all the great advice I have been given! Yes feeling the cold up here too! Funnily enough, in the event I lost my job my wife actually suggested we could move to Florida and I could start a boat building apprenticeship! We visited there a few years ago, starting in Fort Lauderdale and working our way north to Daytona Beach and back down through Orlando. We had an amazing time and I would love to do another trip there, and particularly to watch a SpaceX rocket turn money into low frequency sound and smoke!

Back on topic, I managed to finish the starboard side of the hull today (compound and wax), along with wet sanding the top sides of the cabin for another polishing mission tomorrow. It was slightly harder going in the cold southerly which was blasting the starboard side of the boat. I have a funny feeling the cold blast was working against me, drying the compound faster than a couple of days before, which then created more friction and thus more heat... Kind of ironic! I also threw caution to said wind and dialed it up to 11 (I mean 6 on the flex)! Aside from nearly falling off the ladder when the Beast decided to go for a walk, things certainly seemed to polish out a little glossier. I could feel some heat in the gel at speed 6, can't say I noticed any at speed 5. I guess getting some heat into the cut is good? Or am I running before I can walk?

I can't imagine you need a gym membership! Working the polisher at chest height is ok, but once you start polishing above shoulder height and slightly upside down (like under the flare of the bow), your core and upper body really go to work! Not complaining though, I am getting faster results that I saw at the gym (well, on the boat anyway!). And as for results, I will pop a few more picture in as they are the only evidence of any progress, the finished hull side:

Help! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!-polish-side-jpg

And this is a before and after showing the increased clarity and depth that has come back to the bow, an area that really didn't look that bad at first glance. I got a little more technical and made sure these images were taken with the same exposure, though not quite at the same time of the day obviously!

Help! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!-polish-bow-jpgHelp! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!-polish-bow-2-jpg

And last but not least, a courier arrived just as I was tidying up for the afternoon. What did he have? A care package from Aaryn NZ. Aaryn buddy... I was expecting a little Ziploc bag with some compound to test, not TWO WHOLE FULL BOTTLES of polish to try out!?! WAY WAY WAY above and beyond, and I am a little lost for words on how kindly you have helped a stranger. I am really excited to try these out, and to compare the results using two steps (two compounds) and will do so on Friday when I take on the port side of the hull. The decals are bonus too! I feel somewhat of a fraud for having an Autogeek decal after just a few weeks on the forum! I look forward to adding your decal to something shiny too. Please extend my thanks to your wife as well!

Help! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!-package-jpg

That's enough from me... Beer and snacks are calling!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan NZ View Post
    Thanks Aaryn, beginners luck perhaps?

No that's not fair... Its all the great advice I have been given! Yes feeling the cold up here too! Funnily enough, in the event I lost my job my wife actually suggested we could move to Florida and I could start a boat building apprenticeship! We visited there a few years ago, starting in Fort Lauderdale and working our way north to Daytona Beach and back down through Orlando. We had an amazing time and I would love to do another trip there, and particularly to watch a SpaceX rocket turn money into low frequency sound and smoke!
    Yeah mate, I think you nailed it - Great advice & you’ve taken it on board. (pardon the pun) You’re doing a fantastic job for sure.

Awh man, I would love to live in Florida - If I was younger I’d be all over it. We have only seen a tiny bit of it in total but something about Florida makes us feel good. We love being in Stuart (Where Autogeek is) & we are sure thanking our lucky stars we had our family vacation over the Christmas break in Orlando, Stuart & West Palm Beach, who knows when we will be able to get back. I guess any travel restrictions just gives us more time to save to go back.

Funny you mention SpaceX - we could see a SpaceX launch from the parking lot of the Marriott Hotel in Stuart when we were there - fellow Autogeek, Jerry O’Brian put us onto it, told us where to look etc! Very cool.

I had a customer come into the shop not that long after our first trip to Stuart for one of Mikes Boot Camp Classes back in 2015, & she was having the family vehicle detailed for sale because they had purchased a boat in Florida & Alan, (the Husband) was over there working on it & they were going to live on it for a couple of years & sail around Florida & the Caribbean. Turns out the boat was in Stuart & we struck up a conversation, became FB friends & I followed the families journey ... sadly last year while they were preparing to travel through the Panama Canal, they were boarded by three men trying to steal the outboard of their tender ... Alan locked his Wife & two children below & went to try & scare them away. Alan was fatally shot, a truely sad ending to an incredible journey.

And last but not least, a courier arrived just as I was tidying up for the afternoon. What did he have? A care package from Aaryn NZ. Aaryn buddy... I was expecting a little Ziploc bag with some compound to test, not TWO WHOLE FULL BOTTLES of polish to try out!?! WAY WAY WAY above and beyond, and I am a little lost for words on how kindly you have helped a stranger. I am really excited to try these out, and to compare the results using two steps (two compounds) and will do so on Friday when I take on the port side of the hull. The decals are bonus too! I feel somewhat of a fraud for having an Autogeek decal after just a few weeks on the forum! I look forward to adding your decal to something shiny too. Please extend my thanks to your wife as well!

You’re more than welcome Dan. Enjoy the beer & snacks buddy. Keep up the good work.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Back on topic, I managed to finish the starboard side of the hull today (compound and wax), along with wet sanding the top sides of the cabin for another polishing mission tomorrow.

And this is a before and after showing the increased clarity and depth that has come back to the bow, an area that really didn't look that bad at first glance. I got a little more technical and made sure these images were taken with the same exposure, though not quite at the same time of the day obviously!

Looks Great! And capturing reflections and clarity in white gel-coat is tricky!

BEFORE

AFTER

And last but not least, a courier arrived just as I was tidying up for the afternoon. What did he have? A care package from Aaryn NZ. Aaryn buddy... I was expecting a little Ziploc bag with some compound to test, not TWO WHOLE FULL BOTTLES of polish to try out!?! WAY WAY WAY above and beyond, and I am a little lost for words on how kindly you have helped a stranger.

I am really excited to try these out, and to compare the results using two steps (two compounds) and will do so on Friday when I take on the port side of the hull. The decals are bonus too! I feel somewhat of a fraud for having an Autogeek decal after just a few weeks on the forum! I look forward to adding your decal to something shiny too. Please extend my thanks to your wife as well!

I told you he was a great guy and a great resource.

Try to coordinate a trip to Aaryn's shop some weekend. I'm sure it would be a blast and you'll learn a TON!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

And getting GREAT results ALWAYS starts with GREAT abrasive technology. So many guys think it's all about THEIR technique. That thinking is EGO-DRIVEN. Sorry to disappoint whole lot of Alpha Male detailers but YOU are NOT touching the surface - the abrasives are.

If you ever need proof of this (and I know you don't), then all I can say is look at me. I have almost zero technique having only logged only about 3 hours on the buffer, however the results I have obtained by following the formula have exceeded what I thought possible.

Thanks for sharing this. I tell people all the time - great results START with the stuff touching the surface, be it gel-coat or paint. It's all about the abrasive technology.

Now for a question! This was the condition of the pad after about 2 hours of intermittent polishing (with a couple of dabs of new polish added). I polished one more section with it, then put a new pad on. Have I gone past the point where I should have swapped the pad out? (I have 6 pads).

Attachment 69497Attachment 69496

In my opinion, it's time to switch to a clean, dry pad.

Here's a real simple test, run your hand over a clean dry RUPES Blue Coarse Foam Pad and feel how SHARP the foam feels.

Now feel these wet pads? Very little sharpness left.

You will get better results faster by swapping out to clean, dry pads as you work around the boat. And yeah, that means having a lot of pads. But the nice thing about these pads is because of the very large, open pore design - they wash out really well.

I just throw them in the washing machine and then the dryer and they come out looking just as clean as when they were new. You will see them wear-out. This style of foam tends to shred or tear easy. That's goes with the "type" of foam they are but it's this "type" of foam that works so well to create gloss on gel-coat.

I use these pads until they are completely chewed up. I don't waste anything here at the AG garage. Of course BRAND NEW pads are the best but you can squeeze a LOT of use out of these pads regardless.

Nice work on the boat and I really appreciate you taking the time to stop working - take pictures of your project and then sharing them on this forum for the world to see.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Also - it's kind of tricky to get pictures into the gallery, but in-case you want to try, here's the link to your free gallery here on AGO where I put your pictures so they can be "inserted" using the [img] tags as then they show up full size.

Dan NZ Gallery - AutogeekOnline Gallery

Mike Phillips

Need fresh stats for a screenshot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234