autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

What should I use for salt

I have a smaller boat that I had repainted this winter and want to know what would be good to put on it now. I use it in saltwater so every time I get back to the house I always spray it down, but not every time I have enough time to actually wash it with soap.
    Is there anything I should apply, like a wax, overtop to help from the salt sitting on the paint?
    the paint is Rustoleum topcoat, oil based. It is nothing fancy and used for fishing and hunting so it’s no garage queen. But I still would like to put a little effort into it. I don’t care about swirls or gloss, I just want it protected from sitting salt that I have missed when washing. And since this is not a garage queen boat , I would prefer longevity as well. I don’t want to be waxing every month. Is there something that would last 6months+ ?

Mike Phillips

Re: What should I use for salt

How strong do your arms feel?

Here's my suggestion, wash the boat really well and the apply the SONAX Polymer Net Shield. This stuff is as close to a ceramic coating there is without actually being a ceramic coating. IN FACT - I have an article by this title.

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

It is a tick on the sticky side to wipe-off. This is why you only apply a thin coat.

Mike Phillips

Here's another option I think would do the trick and the product is a lot easier to wipe-off and it is an actual Si02 product.

It's also 50% off RIGHT NOW.

Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating

It's for car paint but I'm sure it would work on any paint.

Also - if it were me and you have the ability, do a light machine polishing of the paint first as this will remove any previously apply wax or any other substance off the paint. Then use a panel wipe like I show in the above article to wipe the paint before applying the spray coating.

This is a really nice and super easy to use Si02 coating. I think it would be a great option for what you're trying to accomplish.

Mike Phillips

And one more....

We have another new product launching I think this week, not sure, Yancy is editing the video. I already have my review done and it's ready to share once I get the green flag.

This new product is also an Si02 products and also very easy to use. In my opinion and experience it is best applied by machine using any brand of simple free spinning random orbital polisher like a Porter Cable etc. BUT you can apply it by hand.

What for my review in this forum group.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...mike-phillips/

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And one more....

We have another new product launching I think this week, not sure, Yancy is editing the video. I already have my review done and it's ready to share once I get the green flag.

This new product is also an Si02 products and also very easy to use. In my opinion and experience it is best applied by machine using any brand of simple free spinning random orbital polisher like a Porter Cable etc. BUT you can apply it by hand.

What for my review in this forum group.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...mike-phillips/

Hope that helps...

And the product I was talking about is now public,

Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

Prep the paint accordingly and then machine apply a light or thin coat. Allow it to fully dry and then wipe-off excess.

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Salt away boat rinse for when you don't have time to wash. Not knowing how much time you are willing to invest on protecting, Mike's recommendation of the spray would be the easiest of all options. If you are willing to give it a good detail once a season before launch you can't go wrong with one of the synthetic based polymers that works for your budget. These will give you some longevity.