autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on new large boat protection

I recently sold my 2000 houseboat that I was always working to stay on top of the previous owners neglect. Using a shurhold orbital and 3m cleaner wax.

I have a new boat on the way and am looking to buy a new polisher and wax. I was leaning towards the higher end long stroke orbitals and Meguiars flagship.

I’m wondering does the long stroke speed up the process or just work harder at applying products?

I have a lot of area to cover and would like recommendations on polishers and product to apply to a new gel coat surface.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on new large boat protection-2034c8f4-42ac-4dce-a46e-0886e8ec9ad9-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on new large boat protection

I'd go with a gear driven polisher like the Flex XC3401 VRG Polisher or the Rupes LK 900E Mille Polisher. If the boat was neglected I would use a rotary polisher, but since this houseboat is brand new the gear driven polishers would be perfect. I would recommend getting a bunch of pads and towels since this is a large boat. You can use the Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax to polish and protect the get coat surfaces and maintain it with the Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus. Marine 31 offers a full line of boat care products.

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer
    RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille Gear Driven Polisher
    Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish and Wax, all in one boat polish wax, boat cleaner wax
    Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus, marine spray wax, boat spray wax

Mike Phillips

Because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Here's the full size version of the picture you shared.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rushrush1 View Post

I recently sold my 2000 houseboat that I was always working to stay on top of the previous owners neglect.

Using a shurhold orbital and 3m cleaner wax.
    Wow!

That's a lot of work. Last time I used a Shurhold, at least the free spinning random orbital polisher, it was one of the weakest tools in this category. So trying to buff out an entire boat with it would have been time consuming and ugh...

I have a new boat on the way and am looking to buy a new polisher and wax. I was leaning towards the higher end long stroke orbitals and Meguiars flagship.

I’m wondering does the long stroke speed up the process or just work harder at applying products?

I have a lot of area to cover and would like recommendations on polishers and product to apply to a new gel coat surface.

If the boat is in good condition then I'd recommend a short stroke polisher but one with some power. The Griot's G9

If the condition is in bad or neglected condition then I'd get the FLEX SUPA BEAST or the RUPES Mille. I have to be honest though, I've buffed out a lot of boats with the FLEX but only a few sections with the RUPES Mille. It will cost a lot more money for either of these tools, but you can get the job done the fastest with a gear-driven orbital.

Long strokes are great for large, flat panels but it's easier to maintain pad rotation with a short stroke all things being equal.

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Mike Phillips

I teach a boat class once a year, you'll get to use all the cool tools and then figure out which one you like before buying one.

I have people that fly in from around the country and the world to take this class. I'd say half of them just want to learn how to work on their own boat and the other half either have a business or are starting a business.

2020 Boat Detailing Class - Dates and Info

Mike Phillips

You can see the before and after pictures of the two boats from this years class,

Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

The classes are a lot of work as they are all hands-on but hey are also a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I'd go with a gear driven polisher like the Flex XC3401 VRG Polisher or the Rupes LK 900E Mille Polisher. If the boat was neglected I would use a rotary polisher, but since this houseboat is brand new the gear driven polishers would be perfect. I would recommend getting a bunch of pads and towels since this is a large boat. You can use the Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax to polish and protect the get coat surfaces and maintain it with the Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus. Marine 31 offers a full line of boat care products.

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer
    RUPES BigFoot LK 900E Mille Gear Driven Polisher
    Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish and Wax, all in one boat polish wax, boat cleaner wax
    Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus, marine spray wax, boat spray wax
    Looking at the 3401, is the longer cord the only difference in the HD version. Working on boats in the water it helps to have the longer cord. Also what pads do you recommend for this polisher for use with the marine 31 all in one? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the 3401, is the longer cord the only difference in the HD version. Working on boats in the water it helps to have the longer cord. Also what pads do you recommend for this polisher for use with the marine 31 all in one? Thanks
    Yes, the only difference with the HD model is the longer cord. Just be careful with the power cord around water. I like to use the Lake Country Force Hybrid Pads with the gear driven polishers. You can use either the Orange Light Cutting Pads or the White Polishing pads.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads