autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amateur hour help needed

Alright guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

2014 blue wave pure bay. Payed to have it compounded/polished/ceramic coated (ceramic pro) and it came out awesome...for a week. About 7 days after the job was completed the boat looked horrible again. Brought it back, company re polished and coated the boat. A week later, same problem. Bring it back again, and this time they polish it but not coat it. I don’t know if any of this makes a difference, but here’s where I’m at now.

Ive started the process of compounding the boat myself, using my old faithful dewalt rotary (14years old now) 3m wool pads and presta compound (I like to shop local and nobody carries 31 marine)

so far the results are awesome. I’ve done the gunwales all the way around and started on the casting decks. The issues I’m now having is on the non skid surfaces, the non skid consists of little tiny waves the essentially create grooves. I’m having a very hard time getting compound down into these”grooves”, and an even harder time getting the dried compound back out. I am able to get the residue out with a microfiber and Meguiar detail spray, but it’s taking forever having to do each little wave with my fingernail. And there’s thousands of them.

Please throw some suggestions my way, I’m all ears. I’m well versed with a rotary and da, just haven’t ever dealt with a non skid like this. I’m also worried that I may have gelcoat issues from the manufacturer since this boat won’t hold a shine for more than a week

Mike Phillips

Re: Amateur hour help needed

You don’t normally machine Compound molded-in non-skid for the 2 reasons you stated.

In my boat classes I teach machine Scrubbing. You can use an APC or Marine 31 Mildew Remover or even Comet.