autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings on gelcoat?

It's getting to be that time of year again. Getting all the boats out of storage. I have a friend/customer with a 42' Fountain and I'm going to ask him if he'd like a ceramic coating this year.

Has anyone used ceramic coatings on gelcoat? If so, which one do you like the most? And what is the process of applying, pads/machine, panel wipe, etc?

Side note, what are the benefits of a ceramic coating versus a sealant or wax on gelcoat? That way I have an understanding in case the customer wants more information about the coating.

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings on gelcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    It's getting to be that time of year again. Getting all the boats out of storage. I have a friend/customer with a 42' Fountain and I'm going to ask him if he'd like a ceramic coating this year.

Has anyone used ceramic coatings on gelcoat? If so, which one do you like the most? And what is the process of applying, pads/machine, panel wipe, etc?

Side note, what are the benefits of a ceramic coating versus a sealant or wax on gelcoat? That way I have an understanding in case the customer wants more information about the coating.

Thanks

Don't know much about gelcoat than the basics. But I have seen Gyeon has released a ceramic coating for gelcoat called Q2R GelCoat. Could be interesting to try out. Seems a bit pricey but it's 100ml so no big difference to the car ceramic coatings.

As for prep I think that the most important is to get the oxidized gelcoat off and get a finish you like. More in the product description I think.

GYEON Q2R GelCoat

I don't know how long waxes and sealants last on boats. But a ceramic coating and it would last a whole season would be much worth it for the well cared boats.

/ Tony

Mike Phillips

I've taught this in our boat detailing class for the last 3 years in a row. Had a couple from California that attended the class this year with a black 42 Fountain. After taking the class they are going to do the correction work to their boat and then apply a ceramic coating.

Pictures & Comments 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Pictures: 2017 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console - Wetsand, Cut & Buff

Pictures and comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 6th, 2016

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Best approach in my experience.

I think if someone were to look online for any other documentation for boat detailing classes for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 - I'm kind of remembering you won't find any. And certainly you won't find any documenting how to put ceramic coatings on older boats with extreme oxidation after machine wetsanding, compounding, polishing and chemically stripping. It is a new "thing" in the boat industry and to date we're the only game in town or in the USA and possibly the world.

For what it's worth...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Don't know much about gelcoat than the basics. But I have seen Gyeon has released a ceramic coating for gelcoat called Q2R GelCoat.

/ Tony

Correct and this is what we used in this year's class.

Before

After

Before

After

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And what is the process of applying, pads/machine, panel wipe, etc?

I could type up the process I show in my classes but if you read through the thread for the class for 2018 I shared what we did and there's OVER 200 pictures.

Also - not for you but for everyone that will read this thread into the future, the date for our very hands-on boat classes, (see the pictures in the 2018 thread), is the same time every year and we only teach it once a year, (so far)

For 2020 it will be,

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 8th & 9th, 2020

$950.00 for the 2 day class and $100.00 store credit if you sign-up early.

And I always bring in the real-deal for the class to train on, that is HORRIBLE condition boats so you can learn the most about everything.

7. Dislikes swervin disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Don't know much about gelcoat than the basics. But I have seen Gyeon has released a ceramic coating for gelcoat called Q2R GelCoat. Could be interesting to try out. Seems a bit pricey but it's 100ml so no big difference to the car ceramic coatings.

As for prep I think that the most important is to get the oxidized gelcoat off and get a finish you like. More in the product description I think.

GYEON Q2R GelCoat

I don't know how long waxes and sealants last on boats. But a ceramic coating and it would last a whole season would be much worth it for the well cared boats.

/ Tony
    I have seen this on autogeek. I just may have to bite the bullet and do a test spot and get the feel for it. Definitely have to prep first though.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've taught this in our boat detailing class for the last 3 years in a row. Had a couple from California that attended the class this year with a black 42 Fountain. After taking the class they are going to do the correction work to their boat and then apply a ceramic coating.

Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Pictures: 2017 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console - Wetsand, Cut & Buff

Pictures and comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 6th, 2016

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Best approach in my experience.

I think if someone were to look online for any other documentation for boat detailing classes for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 - I'm kind of remembering you won't find any. And certainly you won't find any documenting how to put ceramic coatings on older boats with extreme oxidation after machine wetsanding, compounding, polishing and chemically stripping. It is a new "thing" in the boat industry and to date we're the only game in town or in the USA and possibly the world.

For what it's worth...

Thanks Mike! I think I will just end up trying it out for myself before I apply a coating on a customer's boat. I've read that some ceramic coatings turn gelcoat yellow but I don't know if that's from bad prep or the conditions the boat was exposed to. Who knows? Have you had any experience using the Gyeon gelcoat coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I think I will just end up trying it out for myself before I apply a coating on a customer's boat. I've read that some ceramic coatings turn gelcoat yellow but I don't know if that's from bad prep or the conditions the boat was exposed to. Who knows? Have you had any experience using the Gyeon gelcoat coating?

My bad just saw your other post.

Post Thanks / Like

And how about retail automotive ceramic coatings on gelcoat Mike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    And how about retail automotive ceramic coatings on gelcoat Mike?
    I was also wondering this. I have some leftover McKee's 37 paint coating. Maybe I could try it out???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast