autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 15 enough?

Ive got a rupes 15. My boat is 32’ long with a Carolina flared hull that is dark blue, it has a 2’x2’ area of holograms. I want to correct the holograms. No hull oxidation. I plan to keep it waxed so I don’t have future oxidation.
    Top side, everything is oxidized and lost it’s bright white luster.
    The rupes 15 has worked fine for my cars, but it causes me problems on uneven surfaces even after the washer mod.
    Can someone give me a list of stuff I need to buy to correct the holograms, remove oxidation and polish and then wax?
    Im overwhelmed with all the pads, rotaries, products and choices.
    Thanks in advance.
    2012 cls550
    2016 g550
    Carolina Classic 32

Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes 15 enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Julesh View Post

Ive got a rupes 15. My boat is 32’ long with a Carolina flared hull that is dark blue, it has a 2’x2’ area of holograms. I want to correct the holograms. No hull oxidation. I plan to keep it waxed so I don’t have future oxidation.
    Top side, everything is oxidized and lost it’s bright white luster.
    The rupes 15 has worked fine for my cars, but it causes me problems on uneven surfaces even after the washer mod.
    Can someone give me a list of stuff I need to buy to correct the holograms, remove oxidation and polish and then wax?
    Im overwhelmed with all the pads, rotaries, products and choices.
    Thanks in advance.

I'll be training a class of people to do all of this and more next weekend.

2019 HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Class - February 9th and 10th

Me? I would use and I'm going to show how to use the BEAST aka the FLEX 3401 how to remove holograms in both boats used in this class. Any free spinning tool "might" do the job but it will take longer than a gear-driven orbital.

One factor when it comes to removing holograms is how DEEP the hologram scratches are and this is decided by,

1: How hard the person inflicting the holograms is pushing the rotary against the gel-coat.

2: The type of abrasive technology they are using, there's good and there's crap.

3: The condition of the wool pad they are using and how often they are cleaning it as they inflict holograms around the boat hull.

Here's the boats the class will be training on... as you can see, the 26' Searay has holograms thoughtout and is dark in color.

Training Boats for the February 2019 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek in Stuart Florida

26' SeaRay Center Console

To the untrained eye this may look like only oxidation but to the trained eye - those be holograms in the gel-coat PLUS extreme oxidation.

24 Edgewater Center Console

Mike Phillips

Also...

For everyone that will read this thread into the future... if you're not sure what hologram scratches are, here's the only article I know of on the topic...

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Julesh View Post

Here you go, take my word for it, been there done that, I ain't no fake detailer.

The ONLY chance you have to remove the holograms with ANY free spinning orbital is to get these and be prepared to buff for hours and probably days.

Don't skimp on abrasive technology. I type more about abrasive technology than any other topic besides the word "touch" as in how you touch things like car paint.

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

Incredible pad. In my boat detailing how-to book, I share that gel-coats DON'T LIKE SOFT FOAM PADS FOR POLISHING - they do like this pad however.

Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad

RUPES is supposed to be all capital letters by the way.

Then only tackle small areas at a time. Press the pad flat against the gel-coat but be sure to ALWAYS maintain pad rotation otherwise you're not doing anything.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips? How To Detail Boats With Marine 31

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here you go, take my word for it, been there done that, I ain't no fake detailer.

The ONLY chance you have to remove the holograms with ANY free spinning orbital is to get these and be prepared to buff for hours and probably days.

Don't skimp on abrasive technology. I type more about abrasive technology than any other topic besides the word "touch" as in how you touch things like car paint.

Marine 31 Captain’s One-Step Compound & Polish

Incredible pad. In my boat detailing how-to book, I share that gel-coats DON'T LIKE SOFT FOAM PADS FOR POLISHING - they do like this pad however.

Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Blue Coarse Foam Pad

RUPES is supposed to be all capital letters by the way.

Then only tackle small areas at a time. Press the pad flat against the gel-coat but be sure to ALWAYS maintain pad rotation otherwise you're not doing anything.

Hope that helps...

Mike Phillips? How To Detail Boats With Marine 31

Thanks Mike, I put this on the backburner until the weather improved. It sounds like the RUPES 15 is going to take forever to correct the holograms and topside oxydation.

I am thinking of taking your advice and getting the flex 3401 with the autogeek 15% off sale along with your book.
    My plan is to use Captain's one step with a blue rupes pad as a test. Then on to a more aggressive lake country purple foamed wool pad as needed. Finishing up with the blue pad.
    Wax with collinite fleetwax or possibly a sealant.
    2012 cls550
    2016 g550
    Carolina Classic 32