autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What to use in small area's?

Hi,
    I have DeWalt 849x and a GG6. I and thinking about the small area's of fiberglass inside the boat and hard to reach area's to get that are too small for my rotary. Can anyone recommend a pad for my GG6 to use with a compound that breaks down to a Polish for fiberglass? I was starting to look at the foamed wool or should I use a regular foam pad? Or just a regular wool pad for the GG6? If a regular foam pad, what kind/color? Is lake country orange good or something stiffer?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use in small area's?

There are smaller backing plates to both polishers. The GG6 you have the 3" backing plate kit and an 2" backing plate kit. Think that I have read that the 2" backing plate works great with the GG6 but where more for the 3" GG mini polisher. The rotary you have the extension bars kit. Then you can attach the backing plate of choice. AGO offers down to 3" backing plates but I know there is 1" and 2" backing plates too. The problem with that small backing plates is you need a high rpm on rotary polisher. And with a DA polisher you need to slow down the than useally. Otherwise you have the Rupes ibrid nano polisher that has both 1" and 2" backing plates you can switch between. And they come as either a short neck or long neck polishers.

Don't have experience with fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying... I was starting to think nobody would!
    I already have the 3" backing plate for the GG6. I don't think I need anything lower/smaller than that. I guess what I was getting at or to put it in better perspective for size is a 3" or 4" tall cowl hood. The side/vertical part of the cowl hood is about the size I would need to work on. I assumed my GG6 with the 3" would be the right size but wasn't sure how foam pads would work on the fiberglass of the boat? That's why I was also wondering about foam vs wool?

4. Likes Indiglofish61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read with polish on fiberglass. They seem to like open cell compound foam pads like the Rupes blue foam pad. Think it's to trapp the amount of the oxidized fiberglass in the pad better. Then it's about the heat with foam vs wool pads. As foam generates more heat you don't want to overwork the compound or polish with it. So if you on heavy oxidized fiberglass the wool pads seems to be the way to go. Or do the sections a couple of times instead with the foam pads if needed. Work 4-6 sections before you go back to the first section so it have time to cool of. And switch the foam pads more regualar than useally so they holds up better and not breaks down on you.

I link to some pads I think would suit to polish on fiberglass both wool and foam pads that also suits your GG6 DA polisher.

Lake Country Low Lint Lambswool Pads

Rupes 100mm (4 Inch) Foam Pads

Buff and Shine Uro-Wool Pads

3 inch Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

And maybe others shime in with there experience.