autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Marine 31 Captains Coating problems

Just curious to see if anyone else has had any issues applying Marine 31's Captains Coating.

I tried this stuff out on my father in laws boat last year, and it was a real son of a.......to work with. I don't recall how hot it was, but their boat was in the shade when I used it. Applied with a foam applicator and worked in small sections. The applicator would get sticky almost instantly when wiping it across the surface and I had to wipe incredibly hard with a microfiber towel to buff it out. Chalked it up to user error......

Fast forward to last night doing my own boat finally. I compounded and polished using Marine 31's heavy cut and final polish (which are both a treat to work with), and then wiped the whole boat down twice with Eraser to make sure I got any remaining oils off. Tried using a suede cloth instead of a pad this time, boat has been in the garage all week, and temps have been in the 70's. Application sucked just as bad as the first time. I initially went to work on 1' x 1' sections using minimal product. I applied it by wiping on the whole section going one direction, then turning 90 degrees and wiping up and down, and then one more time going side to side. It started getting sticky after literally one swipe across the section and by the time I got to the end of applying it to a section I could hardly get the applicator to move along the surface it was so sticky. Then the fun part of buffing it out with a microfiber towel.....it was literally like trying to buff out sticker adhesive. I had to wipe insanely hard all the while the towel just wanted to ball up because it didn't want to move across the surface.

I've applied a few different brands of coatings to several cars, so I'm not foreign to the process. I tried smaller sections, bigger sections, very little product, a moderate amount of product, buffing out instantly, buffing out after waiting a minute......I'm honestly not sure what else I could've tried.

Is there any chance I could've gotten a bad bottle? I had kind of a similar experience with a bottle of 3D Compound and sure enough I did get a bottle out of a bad batch.....they sent out a new one and it worked great. Doing some quick searching last night I came across a guys review that talked about how big of sections he could do and how gently and easy it wiped off after applying to a section. My experience on 2 different boats was completely opposite.

I've got at least half the bottle left, but it's headed for the garbage. It is literally the most miserable detailing product of any kind that I've ever dealt with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marine 31 Captains Coating problems

I've used it before and it applied fairly easy for me. This was a couple of years ago when it first came out.

Maybe you got a bad bottle or perhaps the shelf life was close to expiration.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had trouble doing my boat also and it was in the 60 degree weather

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

same experience .....after i managed to get one side buffed out it looks awesome....but i ran out of time on the other side of the boat....the next morning its impossible to get off....what do i do...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
    same experience .....after i managed to get one side buffed out it looks awesome....but i ran out of time on the other side of the boat....the next morning its impossible to get off....what do i do...
    You applied the coating to the whole other side? And did not remove?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes....im so pissed....i don't know where to begin

Post Thanks / Like

You can try to reapply the coating to see if it'll reactivate the dried coating, please work in small sections like 2'x2'. If that doesn't work you'll need to polish it off. Just curious what do the directions say on application?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I applied it I did about a 2x3 area waited about 30 seconds and had a hard time wiping it off. I believe the only way to get off is to polish it off. This year I switched to Gyeon gelcoat coating and It was easier to work with. Still the same process a 2x3 area and then wipe off just it seems as it was not a sticky as the Marine 31 coating when wiping off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

directions say apply coating with foam applicator pad in back and forth and side to side motion, gently level excess product and move on to the next section.

directions should add "buff off immediately" !

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

spent the day with 3M extra cut and white pads getting the streaking off...if its that tuff when put on correctly it should last....anyone doing this put on a small section at a time and buff there after