autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

28’ Parker Boat: How much would you charge?

Hi guys!

What is the going rate to have a boat this big washed and waxed?

I was looking into using Collinite 925 along with the Collinite Boat cleaner.

Are these two Collinite products a good combo for something simple?

How long can I expect to take for this project?

Since I’m at it, he wants the inside cleaned too.

How much for that if this was your project?

The boat is about a year and a half new.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: 28’ Parker Boat: How much would you charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post

The boat is about a year and a half new.

If all you have to do to the hull is machine apply a wax that would fairly quick, a couple of hours not including washing it somewhere first.... but if there's any amount of oxidation and the owner wants the oxidation removed a 2 hour wax job just went to 8 to 10 hours for just the blue gel-coat hull.

Have you seen the gel-coat in person? Up close with a swirl finder light on it?

Post Thanks / Like

28’ Parker Boat: How much would you charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If all you have to do to the hull is machine apply a wax that would fairly quick, a couple of hours not including washing it somewhere first.... but if there's any amount of oxidation and the owner wants the oxidation removed a 2 hour wax job just went to 8 to 10 hours for just the blue gel-coat hull.

Have you seen the gel-coat in person? Up close with a swirl finder light on it?

As far as I was able to tell, this boat looked pretty good in person with none to little oxidation.

Unfortunately for me, my mistake was not shining a light on it. I was more concerned with the chilling rain slamming down on me. Oops.

As for the pricing...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Don't know if you saw all the pictures I posted from our recent boat detailing class but as the saying goes...

A picture tells a thousand words...

Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Here's one of the boats we used for the class. Most people would look at this picture and say and "think" that the boat was in VERY GOOD condition.

Here's the SAME boat with a SCANGRIP Sunmatch lighting her up...

We machine sanded this boat starting at #1000 Mirka Abralon and progressed all the way through to #4000 then rotary buffer to cut out the sanding marks and then the FLEX 3401 to remove the holograms. Then we applied a ceramic coating.

Mike Phillips

IF the gel-coat is in truly great condition then you can machine wax the outside hull about as fast as you can walk around it. I'd be thinking about doing using the SONAX Cleaner/Wax followed by SONAX Polymer Net Shield. The cleaner/wax would clean the gel-coat and seal it in one step and the SONAX Polymer Net Shield would give some pretty hearty protection for the marine environment.

Nether of the above are "marine" products but I'm pretty confident they would both work on gel-coat. This process would take you about 5-6 hours minimum for a boat that size assuming you knocked out 2' x 2' sections at a time and make 6-8 section passes to each section. These are just guesstimates.

If you started by washing the boat you would have an easy 8 hour day on just the outside.

IF there is ZERO oxidation or any type of water scum staining on the outside of the hull I would be surprised unless it's been out of the water most of it's life. Even still.... you're going to want to use something that offers some cleaning action to "insure" the surface is clean and protected. I'd also recommend the Blackfire One Step. It's a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO for car paint but it should work pretty good on newer gel-coat.

Million ways to skin a cat (sorry PETA, no harm meant).

Doing the inside of the boat, starting with washing her from top to bottom would take a couple of hours minimum. Then polishing the Isinglass, treating the canvas enclosure and "detailing" i.e. machine polishing the inside gel-coat plus cleaning and detailing the electronics, etc, would take 4 to 5 hours or more. Just depends on how complicated everything is...

I'd figure out what you want to make per hour and then estimate the hours and add some cushion then give him a price.

For example, if you want to make around $75.00 per hour, guestimate the number of hours for the outside and give him a prices. Then estimate the number of hours for the inside and give him a price. There's no way you can do this boat in one day by yourself so you NEED to break it down by the day, not the job.

Off the top of my head I would say a low of $800.00 for the outside. In order to figure the inside price you need more information. For example does he want the canvas cleaned and protected with a product like RaggTopp?

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also - I moved this out of Off Topic and into a marine detailing forum group.

8. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a minimum of $30.00 per foot.

For those really tall RV's. $40.00 per foot.

That way the customer knows up front of the charge and you know what your making.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com