autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New-ish boat combo?: Flex 3401 + Rupes Blue Coarse Foam pad + Captain’s One-Step + Captain's Boat Coating?

Hello Mike (and others)!

I am looking to polish a 1-year old 30ft. Grady White with light-blue colored gelcoat. As the boat is only a year old, the gelcoat is in visibly great shape and doesn't need heavy cutting. There are a few superficial bumper/buoy scuffs, but nothing major at all. I was looking to use my Flex 3401 with a Rupes Blue Coarse Foam pad and the Marine 31 Captain's One-Step to do the polish.

I have a few questions:

1. Does this seem like a good combo for a relatively new boat?
    2. Is the Rupes Blue Foam pad too aggressive for this to be a one-step process and will I have to follow it up with a softer pad?
    3. What sealer would you recommend? I'm looking at the Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating with UV50. Will I need to wipe the boat down to remove oils from the Captain's One-Step prior to using the Boat Coating?

The boat sits in the water from April - October in New Jersey so I'm looking for a durable sealer that will last as long.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pbalias; 03-21-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: accidentally submitted before finishing post

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 + Rupes Blue Coarse Foam pad + Captain’s One-Step + Captain's Boat Coating?

Mike?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 + Rupes Blue Coarse Foam pad + Captain’s One-Step + Captain's Boat Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by pbalias View Post
    Mike?
    You should definitely get Mike's boat detailing book. It has a ton of detail, photos and options for exterior & interior work.

I'm planning on a similar combo (flex 3401 + blue coarse rupes pads) on my boat, less than a year old and minimal oxidation after first summer on the water in Maryland.

Going to try the All in One polish & wax from Marine 31 at the start of our season, and use the wax + sealant to keep it protected.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New-ish boat combo?: Flex 3401 + Rupes Blue Coarse Foam pad + Captain’s One-Step + Captain's Boat Coating?

I had in my notes that GTechniq (?) makes a good marine coating. Think they used this in the boat class.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Sorry I missed your first post - I’m not behind my computer so hard to type but “yes” that’s one of the combos I find works great and I show on my class.

FKEX 3401 - RUPES Coarse Blue Fosm Pad - Captains Compound

Then seal.

Not too aggressive - gel coats don’t like soft foam pads when abrading.

Will type more tomorrow.

Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response Mike and the link...answers some questions. Sounds like BigMikeMD and I are in the same situation.

Question: Will the Flex 3401 with the Rupes blue foam cutting pad + the Marine 31 Captain's One-Step have enough cutting power to get rid of mild-light oxidation on a 1-year old boat, or will it only take out the holograms from a rotary? I wan't planning on using a rotary and was hoping the Flex 3401 had the cutting power.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pbalias View Post

Question: Will the Flex 3401 with the Rupes blue foam cutting pad + the Marine 31 Captain's One-Step have enough cutting power to get rid of mild-light oxidation on a 1-year old boat, or will it only take out the holograms from a rotary?

I wan't planning on using a rotary and was hoping the Flex 3401 had the cutting power.
    Great question and it shows me you actually read the section instead of scanning it, thank you.

I hate to give fluffy answers but you won’t know until you do a Test Spot. I’ve experienced super hard gel-coats and super soft gel-coats. Pigment can affect hardness but so can the resin a particular boat manufacturer uses, so you won’t know until you do some testing.

Mike Phillips

Still can’t type much, on my phone as were driving to Orlando.

Car Detailing Tech Session & Demo at the Ace Café in Orlando!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Great question and it shows me you actually read the section instead of scanning it, thank you.

I hate to give fluffy answers but you won’t know until you do a Test Spot. I’ve experienced super hard gel-coats and super soft gel-coats. Pigment can affect hardness but so can the resin a particular boat manufacturer uses, so you won’t know until you do some testing.

That's a fair reply Mike and totally makes sense, thank you. I'm going to make an attempt with the 3401 and a Purple Foamed Wool pad and see what happens. If it cuts like I need it to, I'll follow it up with a Rupes blue foam then seal. Hopefully that's all it takes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast