autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Horse Trailer Washing

Not sure this is the exact correct forum but the fiberglass and galvanized steel are the parts I need advice on.

I own a 2000 Brenderup Horse Trailer. Looking for tips and techniques on care.

Specifically the roof is fiberglass. The outer shell is smooth but the inner is basically rough fiberglass strands. What type of sponge/towel to use on that? I feel like anything would drag.... I have ONR W&W. Just use that or something more fiberglass specific.

Second the walls are SPC Solid Phenolic Resin. Which just feels like plastic.... I have a plethora of car wash products besides the ONR. Assuming just hit that like I would paint on a car?

Finally the frame of the trailer is galvanized steel. Any thing special to do here? It kind of has an exoskeleton so it would be difficult to wash the wall lets say without washing the frame... If that makes sense... I'm not actually trying to scrub down the frame but the wheel wells for example could use protection...

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Horse Trailer Washing

For projects like this, you can really treat it like anything else.

Galvanized steel tends to be ugly and rough and nothing you do can help it or hurt it. If it's grimy, use an APC pre-wet before washing.

Gel-coat tends to be porous, especially as it gets older. Keep this in mind and use quality washes versus detergent washes.

As for mitts, I like the microfiber chenille wash mitts and for the "pretty" parts just make sure the mitts are clean and not contaminated.

How about a picture?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    For projects like this, you can really treat it like anything else.

Galvanized steel tends to be ugly and rough and nothing you do can help it or hurt it. If it's grimy, use an APC pre-wet before washing.

Gel-coat tends to be porous, especially as it gets older. Keep this in mind and use quality washes versus detergent washes.

As for mitts, I like the microfiber chenille wash mitts and for the "pretty" parts just make sure the mitts are clean and not contaminated.

How about a picture?

Thanks. I was going to try rinseless ONR W&W. Mostly for the ease and price. Bad idea? Your suggestion of the mitt makes me think that bucket wash is preferable? I have a ton of Duragloss 901/902...

Last edited by honda99ex; 03-02-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Pic

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

How about a picture?

Fixed it.
    Excuse the dirty truck (it's a work horse) and the upturned ramp (I was experimenting). The fiberglass roof needs a good wash, maybe a sealant but getting up there is also a conundrum. Let me know. Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably go straight to a diluted APC or add couple ounces in with your wash soap.

I did a horse trailer last year that had a fiberglass shell and had sort of a rough textured finish on the inside.

I did a acid wash followed up by an APC wash on the exterior. On the inside I sprayed it down with APC and went over it with a softer brush.

I’m not positive the acid wash was needed, but it may have helped with the stains on or from the roof.

Something different: Horse Trailer Detail

If using either acid or stronger APC, work from the bottom up.

If you start spraying up high the cleaner will run down and create lighter colored streaks where the cleaner has basically etched the dry area that it has ran down on to.

Edit: looking at the pic yours doesn’t seem to be stained up much, you may get by with just a wash soap.

Post Thanks / Like

For a prewash and to clean the inside of the trailer I would use 3D orange 88 degreaser or Optimum Power Clean. As said above work from bottom up. For the inside I would get a large brush with split bristles and maybe a water run thrue. There is attachements to pressure washes with brush on them. And to apply the degreaser get a pressure bottle from either kwazar or griots garage. That makes it alot easier on the hands to not need to trigger spray it. Get a decent detailing brush to when the degreaser dwells brush the rubber seals thoroughly. And to them get 303 aerospace protectant to protect the rubber seals around the windows and the roof and what else of rubber and plastic you can find.

3D Orange 88 Citrus Degreaser 128 oz.

When it comes to lsp I would recommend to use a spray on rinse off product as McKees 37 Hydro Blue or carpro hydro2 or gyeon wet coat. Then you get all of the outside easy to protect even the galvanised steel. An other way to go is to use a WOWA as Ultima paint guard plus or Optimum opti-seal. And if use the Ultima PGP do 2 coats to get a good longevity out of it. The problem with the WOWA would be the galvanised steel. Maybe AGO has some non abrasive metall polish/protection. But I would go with the spray on rinse off protection as it's easy to use and you protect all in it's way.

For the inside maybe the spray on rinse off protection would work also. Do a little test spot to the floor first and see so it's not getting slippery. You don't want to see the horses upside down after transportation. If it's what you are going to use the trailer for. Otherwise the degreaser and brush and pressure wash will keep it clean. Then to the outside if you go with the spray on rinse off I would use a coating friendly car soap that don't leave any glossenhancer or protection behind. If you use a mf mitt or towel stay away from the galvanised steel as it will destroy them. Buy another brush for them or cheap sponges without car soap in them. If going with the WOWA maybe your duragloss car soap would work. You can test it to a small area if you use spray on rinse off and see if it's alter the sheeting of water in a bad way. Coating friendly car soap here are some examples carpro reset or gyeon bathe essence or gyeon bathe or McKees 37 sio2 wash. To dry it first start with a dry rinse from the top and follow the water sheeting down as you rinse. Use a hose with a low water pressure from the hose and no spray gun attached to it. The rest of the water with a leafblower or a blower of some kind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    When it comes to lsp I would recommend to use a spray on rinse off product as McKees 37 Hydro Blue or carpro hydro2 or gyeon wet coat. Then you get all of the outside easy to protect even the galvanised steel. The problem with the WOWA would be the galvanised steel. But I would go with the spray on rinse off protection as it's easy to use and you protect all in it's way.

For the inside maybe the spray on rinse off protection would work also. Do a little test spot to the floor first and see so it's not getting slippery. You don't want to see the horses upside down after transportation. If it's what you are going to use the trailer for. Otherwise the degreaser and brush and pressure wash will keep it clean. Then to the outside if you go with the spray on rinse off I would use a coating friendly car soap that don't leave any glossenhancer or protection behind. If you use a mf mitt or towel stay away from the galvanised steel as it will destroy them. Buy another brush for them or cheap sponges without car soap in them. Coating friendly car soap here are some examples carpro reset or gyeon bathe essence or gyeon bathe or McKees 37 sio2 wash. To dry it first start with a dry rinse from the top and follow the water sheeting down as you rinse. Use a hose with a low water pressure from the hose and no spray gun attached to it. The rest of the water with a leafblower or a blower of some kind.

Thank you Mantilgh and SWETM for the tips!!!!

Mantilgh that was a great job on that trailer. These things get beat up so I know how much work that was!

SWETM I do in fact use it to transport horses. And I'm sure my wife would literally kill me if I show up with damaged goods... the rubber mats come out leaving a thin vinyl over wood sitting on galvanized frame. I totally forgot about the spray on rinse off products. Given the height I think that's what I'll opt for over the WOWA!!! So coating friendly car soap, then spray on rinse off product. Can you just clarify the part on the galvanized steel? So I should use a dedicated brush or sponge for that part because car soap residue is abrasive or the actual microfiber is bad?

Now for some autogeek shopping!!!