autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Next step up from Meguiar's Flaghsip Cleaner wax with CCS Green polishing pad

Good Morning Guys and Gals.

I recently purchased a black and white 2012 Nautic Star 210 Coastal. The boat had numerous stickers and decals that I removed. Overall, the boat had what appeared to be mild oxidation, black still dark but with mild chalky appearance, overall no reflections found on boats, and the area behind decals very noticeable after being removed. After watching the autogeek boat detailing video on YouTube, I decided to go with Maguire's Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax, as it had a little more polishing capability than their other cleaner wax. I used a light green polishing pad on my PC and did half the boat. It did an ok job with removing noticeable oxidation on the black and white with a noticeable reflection now visible, however still not mirror-like. Lastly, while it is improved, the area where the decals were is still noticeable and for this reason I believe I need to go to the next level of cutting/polishing.

I am looking for suggestions of any brand of polish/compound and corresponding CCS pad. Additionally, any suggestions on additional products to follow cutting since I am no longer using an all-in-one product like a cleaner wax i.e finishing sealers or waxes. I also have areas of fiber glass that seem to a rust like substance near metal that is not coming off with amazing roll-off(not impressed with this product).

V/R,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next step up from Meguiar's Flaghsip Cleaner wax with CCS Green polishing pad

I had some oxidation and orange peel on my 99 Skeeter and tried everything I could think of. I was just hitting the peaks of the orange peel and the valleys were still oxidized. I finally went with Marine 31 Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner with a wool pad on my DA and that worked great. You might try it on a foam cutting pad first.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next step up from Meguiar's Flaghsip Cleaner wax with CCS Green polishing pad

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    I finally went with Marine 31 Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner with a wool pad on my DA and that worked great. You might try it on a foam cutting pad first.
    I had disappointing results with that product.^ But then again I was only using it with foam pads, the wool pad probably works much better...

I’d suggest Griots Fast Correcting Cream. I’ve had my best results using that to cut through oxidation on gelcoat using the Griots Boss 21 and Lake Country HD Orbital foam cutting pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars M67 works pretty good too, but you’ll be going through alot of pads if it’s heavily oxidized. I finally decided to quit running through pads and just get rid of the top layer of oxidation working by hand using a cotton terry towel and then finishing off with the Griots Boss Cream. Lots of work but it turned out great. I probably should’ve just sanded but oh well.

If it’s not too bad this will work just fine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Having had the good fortune of attending the boat detailing class with Mike - would recommend the Marine 31 Captains Compound. The product works as advertised and we used to put a "show class" shine on a heavily oxidized gel coat. It worked so well that I bought it for use on my own boat and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Meguiars M67 works pretty good too, but you’ll be going through alot of pads if it’s heavily oxidized. I finally decided to quit running through pads and just get rid of the top layer of oxidation working by hand using a cotton terry towel and then finishing off with the Griots Boss Cream. Lots of work but it turned out great. I probably should’ve just sanded but oh well.

If it’s not too bad this will work just fine.

Any suggestions on what you’d use as a pad with this stuff?

I just picked some up based on a recommendation for what my boat should need, but I’m lost on a pad.

I’ll be using a HF DA with a CG 5” backing plate.

Should I be looking at a yellow foam pad or a wool pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Next step up from Meguiar's Flaghsip Cleaner wax with CCS Green polishing pad

Quote Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
    Any suggestions on what you’d use as a pad with this stuff?

I just picked some up based on a recommendation for what my boat should need, but I’m lost on a pad.

I’ll be using a HF DA with a CG 5” backing plate.

Should I be looking at a yellow foam pad or a wool pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It all depends on the current condition of the gelcoat that you’re going to work on. If it’s badly oxidized you could be in for a firm and lengthy task and you could also experience foam pads which load up rather quickly with the residue that’s coming off as you’re buffing.

When I decided to attack the 1st boat I polished with the Megs M67 it was badly oxidized. Up close it looked like it had never been properly cared for in any way, certainly had never been polished or waxed.

I had the same polisher you currently have... And it took alot of elbow grease to gradually make a dent.

I went through a bunch of pads...

Until finally respectable clarity was achieved.

I mostly used foam cutting pads like this Megs burgundy foam cutting disc [on the left]. But once I upgraded polishers to the Griots Boss 21 w/LC Orbital Blue Foam Cutting pads [on the right] I was able to get much better results without nearly as much work.

[I’ve never used those foamed wool pads so I can’t comment on them]

In case you’re dealing with that level of oxidation I would consider knocking down the top layer of it manually using a clean cotton terry towel with a liberal amount of the M67 One Step Conpound before using a foam pad on your polisher and having it quickly load up with residue. It may sound crazy but it helped my pads last longer and be able to work better.

I hope your boat is in better condition because I wouldn’t wish that hard work on anyone. But it’s not bad at all in the end, because once you restore the gelcoat maintenance becomes relatively easy. Use the M67 for the initial grunt work and switch to finer abrasives from here on out [i.e. maintenance marine cleaner waxes, Marine finishing lsp’s, etc] You’ll be so glad at the difference you made. Good luck!Next step up from Meguiar's Flaghsip Cleaner wax with CCS Green polishing pad

8. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!

Lakeland -Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater - Sarasota
    Boats / Auto / Trucks / RVs
    863-738-8336 Follow us on Instagram