autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Help with boat hull process and materials

    Not feeling the love over on the marine31 forums, sort of like talking to yourself in a cemetery at 2am so I thought I'd come in over here and try.

    Looking to get some info on using my PE-14 and 3401 on my 42' trawler. Both have 6" backing plates and I have a 3" as well. Have a little experience with both but nothing more than amateur skill levels. My hull is in pretty good shape. No visible oxidation, pretty good shine. Am pulling it for a bottom job next week so getting prepared to detail the hull. Have decided to use the Captains One Step Compound and Polish followed by Marine31 Carnauba. Hoping to keep this at two times around the boat instead of three. Not sure if that is the best way (actually am sure it is NOT the best way but hoping it is adequate) and if I need to throw in a third around the world buff-a-palooza in-between with a finish polish I will. Also seems like using the rotary with anything would force another trip around as well but would certainly allow me to build a good finish from there. As the picture shows the hull has bow to stern indentations to give it the wood hull look so I have to deal with them as well. Use the edge of the pad or better to do them by hand first?

    Questions. Pads for the Captains One Step? Mike doesn't like pads on gelcoat but I am leery of using a wool pad with it as it would seem to force me into that intermediate final polish step. I see the Rupes Coarse blue is recommended for polish but how about my situation and the Captains One Step with compound and polish? I have 2 CSS Orange (also 2 white and 2 gray) which I originally planned on using but not sure now. What process and pads, wool/foamed wool or just foam, would you all recommend?

    Second is how much product to buy? 42' as shown in pics. Would two 32 oz bottles of the Captains be enough? I am not doing the superstructure yet just the hull. However, will be doing topsides later so if I have extra that is fine.


    Any comments on the proper process and materials/buffer to use appreciated!

    Help with boat hull process and materials-aaaam31a-jpgHelp with boat hull process and materials-aaaam31b-jpg

  2. #2
    Super Member hoyt66's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lake Orion Mi.
    Posts
    2,360
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Well only so you won’t feel like you’re in a cemetery I’ll reply with pretty ZERO experience . I only have one boat correction to my name. But I can say my foam pads ( the only pads I have) loaded up like crazy on the gel coat . Researching I see wool pads are recommended . I also use my 3401 and felt like a rotary would be way better. Everything I read seems to back that up as well. Nice boat! Good luck


    Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

  3. #3
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Thanks! My family really appreciates you coming to the funeral.... If the hull had some oxidation that I could see I would just bite the bullet and go round and round...and then round starting with the rotary and wool. I have a feeling I will end up doing that anyway. It should go reasonably fast given that I am not working on "corrections" and looking for perfection but will have to be done on a combo of ladders and scaffolding of some sort. Trying to get some customer support from Marine31 on what they suggest for buffer/pads and whether or not a final polish before wax will be needed. I don't think so but..back to my original questions. Advice seems to say use wool not foam. As far as I have read it seems no way around a finer polish in-between wool and wax.

  4. #4
    Super Member RTexasF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    2,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    First off if you are going to use foam pads you are way short on quantity. I've used up to ten on a Suburban much less a 42' Trawler hull.
    Folks that do boats for a living strictly use rotary machines and wool for the grunt work.
    Rick....now in North Texas

  5. #5
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    50,924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    I’m not behind a computer and it’s really difficult to type out in-depth detailed replies and info with my finger on a cell phone.

    If you can be patient I’m glad to help next time I’m behind a computer.


  6. #6
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    First off if you are going to use foam pads you are way short on quantity. I've used up to ten on a Suburban much less a 42' Trawler hull.
    Folks that do boats for a living strictly use rotary machines and wool for the grunt work.
    Yes,understand the quantity part although not sure on exactly how many I will use. That's why I am trying to get the info, so I can order what I think I need. Getting close to time to do the work and want to order things. Just relating what I do have at this point which, as you point out, is not much. If I was sure this was going to be grunt work I would most certainly use the rotary. Just don't know if "grunt work" qualifies on this one if you know what I mean? Hull is in good shape but...using the Captains One Step. Haven't used it before so not sure if I should consider it a heavy compound, light compound, is there something a pad would do better when it broke down from compound to polish? Other thing is wondering if I should go ahead and pop for the pad washing system. Why do I know I know the answer to that already?!?!

  7. #7
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I’m not behind a computer and it’s really difficult to type out in-depth detailed replies and info with my finger on a cell phone.

    If you can be patient I’m glad to help next time I’m behind a computer.

    Thanks Mike.

  8. #8
    Super Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Eastern L.I. NY
    Posts
    9,232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Nice trawler.

    Whatever protection you chose, I would make sure it is applied thickly. I say this because you mentioned she is getting a bottom job.

    I assume this means bead-blasting the old bottom paint off.

    This process is ugly. No matter how well you think you have "sealed off" the hull, that residue always finds its way onto the hull/superstructure somehow. I have seen boats with porous (un-cared for) hulls get bottom jobs and have the bottom paint color embedded in the hull permanently.

    Just a friendly word from a guy who has spent over 30 years in the marina game.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    Quote Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
    Not feeling the love over on the marine31 forums, sort of like talking to yourself in a cemetery at 2am so I thought I'd come in over here and try.

    Looking to get some info on using my PE-14 and 3401 on my 42' trawler. Both have 6" backing plates and I have a 3" as well. Have a little experience with both but nothing more than amateur skill levels. My hull is in pretty good shape. No visible oxidation, pretty good shine. Am pulling it for a bottom job next week so getting prepared to detail the hull. Have decided to use the Captains One Step Compound and Polish followed by Marine31 Carnauba. Hoping to keep this at two times around the boat instead of three. Not sure if that is the best way (actually am sure it is NOT the best way but hoping it is adequate) and if I need to throw in a third around the world buff-a-palooza in-between with a finish polish I will. Also seems like using the rotary with anything would force another trip around as well but would certainly allow me to build a good finish from there. As the picture shows the hull has bow to stern indentations to give it the wood hull look so I have to deal with them as well. Use the edge of the pad or better to do them by hand first?

    Questions. Pads for the Captains One Step? Mike doesn't like pads on gelcoat but I am leery of using a wool pad with it as it would seem to force me into that intermediate final polish step. I see the Rupes Coarse blue is recommended for polish but how about my situation and the Captains One Step with compound and polish? I have 2 CSS Orange (also 2 white and 2 gray) which I originally planned on using but not sure now. What process and pads, wool/foamed wool or just foam, would you all recommend?

    Second is how much product to buy? 42' as shown in pics. Would two 32 oz bottles of the Captains be enough? I am not doing the superstructure yet just the hull. However, will be doing topsides later so if I have extra that is fine.


    Any comments on the proper process and materials/buffer to use appreciated!

    Help with boat hull process and materials-aaaam31a-jpgHelp with boat hull process and materials-aaaam31b-jpg
    Try some test spots and decide your process.Only you can determine what course of polishing process.Thats a pretty big boat might want to look into using a aio product 3D 505 or optimum products.

  10. #10
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help with boat hull process and materials

    I've always used wool pads and a rotary on my boats. Here's a couple pics of mine after last weekend, I used marine 31 products and a rotary.

    Sorry they're sideways, don't know why that's happening
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with boat hull process and materials-img_1128-jpg   Help with boat hull process and materials-img_1130-jpg   Help with boat hull process and materials-img_1129-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boat Video Project - Restoring the Gel-coat on a 21' Cougar MTR Tunnel Hull
    By Mike Phillips in forum Wednesday Night Detailing Classes - Info & Dates
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-23-2019, 09:53 PM
  2. Cleaning a boat hull with a steamer?
    By Kyle@PrecisionPolish in forum Boat & Marine Craft Detailing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 12:55 AM
  4. Dark Gelcoat Boat Hull UV Protection
    By seacups in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
  5. Boat hull - prep and seal question
    By julian in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» January 2022

S M T W T F S
262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 12345