autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Pricing question!? Need help!

Business has been booming, word of mouth has gotten me more business than I can handle and I recently did a detail for a radio talk show host and he gave me free advertising on the radio which made it worse. I have 4 boats coming up from a 23ft century with heavy oxidation to a 28 footer with the same heavy oxidation. I need help with pricing because I feel like I'm cutting myself short with the quality work I put into these things. I've been charging 30 dollars a foot, I divide that by 2 if I'm only doing exterior details. Now keep in mind every boat I've done has been highly oxidized. Some I've had to wet sand because it was just so bad, and some nothing that a aggressive compound couldn't handle. Last boat i did (a day ago) I charged 400 exterior only highly oxidized and took me 15 hours straight to get her finished. Its a lot of work and I'm wondering if I'm charging too low? I charge even cheaper per foot depending on condition. I have 4 boats this week I need to price out and really need to know if I've been shorting myself? Please help! Below I attached some images of the boats I've been detailing and how oxidized they have been. Not to mention once I'm finally done getting the oxidation off I polish, seal and wax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pricing question!? Need help!-img_20170512_095905_459-jpg   Pricing question!? Need help!-img_20170514_004548_006-jpg   Pricing question!? Need help!-img_20170512_095905_449-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing question!? Need help!

Depending on where they live, most detailers are getting $50-100 per hour. Some people will say you are not making enough per hour. Some people will say $400 is $400 no matter how long it takes you. It all depends on how YOU feel about that hourly rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I provide my services in panama city Florida and surrounding areas. I was thinking the hourly rate but thought it may scare people off... I don't want to charge to high and scare them off but i don't want to charge so cheap either, I put a lot of hard work and passion into these boats and make them look brand new if not better. Reason I'm even asking is my last client said he felt that I undercharged and gave me a 100 tip lmao. I've also have been told I've been the only detailer around who would even touch dark colors so I'm assuming not a lot of detailers here know much or just don't want to do it? I just want my clients happy, but at the same time I feel like I should charge more. Just having a pricing issue lol I didn't know if charging by foot only was a mistake...

Post Thanks / Like

You don't tell the customer your hourly rate.

That's what most detailers are trying to make per hour. I try to make $75/hour. A two step polish job on a coupe takes me about 4 hours, so I charge $300.

Post Thanks / Like

You made $26/hour on the boat. That's about what I charge friends and family. If that's cool with you, great! Get busy! There's a balance point to how much you can increase your price and still have all the business you can handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no I never tell customer how I price, I just price it in my head somewhere between 20 to 30 per foot. Just a flat rate I didn't even think of hourly which if I did the math I guess I'd only be making somewhere around 28 a hour for a 15 hour job that I did last... I appreciate the info I think I may do a hourly rate for my pricing instead of a flat rate. I do believe my work is worth a bit more than what I've been charging

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed! Thanks brother I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comicartist27 View Post
    Business has been booming, word of mouth has gotten me more business than I can handle and I recently did a detail for a radio talk show host and he gave me free advertising on the radio which made it worse. I have 4 boats coming up from a 23ft century with heavy oxidation to a 28 footer with the same heavy oxidation. I need help with pricing because I feel like I'm cutting myself short with the quality work I put into these things. I've been charging 30 dollars a foot, I divide that by 2 if I'm only doing exterior details. Now keep in mind every boat I've done has been highly oxidized. Some I've had to wet sand because it was just so bad, and some nothing that a aggressive compound couldn't handle. Last boat i did (a day ago) I charged 400 exterior only highly oxidized and took me 15 hours straight to get her finished. Its a lot of work and I'm wondering if I'm charging too low? I charge even cheaper per foot depending on condition. I have 4 boats this week I need to price out and really need to know if I've been shorting myself? Please help! Below I attached some images of the boats I've been detailing and how oxidized they have been. Not to mention once I'm finally done getting the oxidation off I polish, seal and wax.
    The best feeling is when your services are in demand from word of mouth.At this point name your price if not walk. That is way to low and much work for that cheap price.Personally I hate doing boats period.The last one I did 4 months ago was 1000.00.Nobody knows your finances so taking a little hit below the belt is not that bad.But when you factor in sanding it changes the dynamics.you should stick to cars and aviation. what compound are you using.pm me and I will get you some info on compounds that work with out sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguairs 301 sand and scuff works awesome.pm I will try to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not 301.its in mytruck pm if you want to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast