autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moderate Boat Oxidation. Wetsand or Buff?

I just did an 87 FourWinns 195 that was white, light blue, and darker blue. I would say it was probably somewhere near what you are describing 6-8 bad. Flex and yellow cutting pad with McKees RV heavy cut wouldnt touch it, Wool pad on HF rotary and same compound did a pretty decent job (maybe 70-75%) and still took me some good time. If you have the sanding ability and equipment I would suggest it. Make sure you charge plenty too lol.

"Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Boat looks good. Luckily the Cobalt is my boat(6 years old n a. BIt neglected so now in recovery mode. The interior seating n top fiberglass are in excellent shape Been buffing cars now tackling boats so use mine to practice. Hooefully i can take one if Mikes classes in the future on gel coat work

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PursuitDT View Post

Hey guys/gals,

I inspected a 22ft Four Whinns H210 today for a new client of mine. It has moderate oxidation on the upper portion of the black paint. It's black with a white top. Wish I had photos to share, but that was my mistake. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to go about doing this.

Scale 1-10 (10 being really bad)
    I would say its a 6-7.

1. Do I wetsand the gel coat down to eliminate the oxidation?

Or

2. Do I buff out the gel coat with my D/A and MF pads? (Keep in mind I do not own a rotary)

I'd like to see if I can get Mike's input on this!
    Hope for some feedback.
    Thanks.

Not that you can't bring an old thread back to life, but the above was posted,

05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post

Very useful. I have Cobalt 242 that is 6 years old and has moderate oxid (6/7 out of 10)Tried using my flex 3401 with compound/ wool pad test spot (result = it will take me until Christmas 2019 to get it done).

Looks like I either wet sand it or get a rotary n hit with wool/compound.

Will do a wet sand with 3000 grit (least aggressive) using my 3401 and see what happens. Been reading Mikes book n am leaning toward sanding

Here's the deal.... oxidation tends to go INTO the gel-coat so when gel-coat has visible oxidation buffing the surface will restore the shine but it will tend to revert back fairly quickly. Machine sanding will remove all of the oxidation and the results will last longer.

If it's not to bad, then possible Mirka Abralon with #3000 followed by #4000 and then Captain's Compound with a rotary buffer and wool pad. Follow this with the RUPES blue foam coarse pad and the same compound. Then chemically strip and apply Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer.

See picture here,

BEFORE & AFTER - EXTREME Gelcoat Oxidation Removal + Ceramic Coating

See how we did it here,

Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Next class is February, 9th and 10th 2019 and it's already filling up.

Post Thanks / Like

Learned my lesson not hitting my boat with more passes during wet sanding with 3000 grit thinking I could get the remaining with wool n Captains one step compound n polish. May try 2000 grit followed by 3000, then wool, then polish (test spot). So wanted to take Mike,s class this past winter but my job sent me To China at the same time as his class( the trip was well worth it as I work on developing Oncology drugs). Maybe 2020 I can make the class
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up going down to 2000 grit, followed by 3000 then wool then foam pad , wow what a work out and still have another side of the boat to do. Just for fun I hit a section with 1000, then 2000, then 3000 then wool then foam pad, but that’s a lot of work. Thanks for the input
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Not that you can't bring an old thread back to life, but the above was posted,

05-06-2017, 04:54 PM

Here's the deal.... oxidation tends to go INTO the gel-coat so when gel-coat has visible oxidation buffing the surface will restore the shine but it will tend to revert back fairly quickly. Machine sanding will remove all of the oxidation and the results will last longer.

If it's not to bad, then possible Mirka Abralon with #3000 followed by #4000 and then Captain's Compound with a rotary buffer and wool pad. Follow this with the RUPES blue foam coarse pad and the same compound. Then chemically strip and apply Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer.

Any suggestions for a non skid gel coat surface that is oxidized? It could definitely use some sanding, but the “non skid” is gel coat in the shape of little waves (blue wave pure bay 2400) so sanding would actually damage the non skid. I’ve had amazing results using presta compound, but I’m worried about long term correction and I definitely don’t want to keep going through this.

Mike Phillips

See my reply to your thread.

There’s 3 commonly used types of non-skid

1: Molded-in = gel-coat

2: Painted.

3: Sundeck (could be wrong on this word, I don’t have my book in front of me)

You can machine scrub molded-in as this is gel-coat and it’s tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12