autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member InnovativeAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Marine 31 Products?

It looks like to me that in boat detailing, Marine 31 is the way to go.

I am wondering if things like Optimum's vinyl cleaner and protectant will do as well as Marine 31's on a boat.

I do understand that all of the compounds and polishes are different because of the gel-coat. I use mostly Optimum products and it would be awesome to be able to use the same interior cleaners as I do in cars and whatnot?

As for washing, I use ONR for everything. Would it be a smart move to continue with ONR or go to ONR Wash & Wax or a Marine 31 boat specific shampoo?

I like things fast and efficient, while doing the job right with the best products to please the customer!

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana
    ben@innovativeautodetailing.com
    864-398-7167
    Active Duty USAF Meteorologist
    #1312 2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302/1998 Mustang GT
    Business: 2016 Transit Connect 2.5L LWB XL
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marine 31 Products?

As for using marine specific shampoos, I am not sure I see much difference. I have used various boat soaps and car soaps washing our boats, to relatively equal results. Right now, I am using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red with decent luck. Our boats sit in the water all summer and get a little grungy on the bottoms, so in the fall when I pull them out of the water, I use MaryKate On&Off first to get the heavy stuff, then I have been following with the CG to wash and neutralize the acid.

In the spring, I will wash them with the CG again, and then polish and wax them prior to hitting the water. I just acquired some Marine 31 All-In-One Gelcoat Polish and Wax and some Final Step Polish to add to my arsenal to try. After the polish, hit them with Collinite and they are ready to go!

Just for reference, our boats are MasterCrafts from 1989 and 1981, so they are far from new. I have had the 89 since 2004, and my father just picked up the 81 last summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marine 31 Products?-mc1-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by InnovativeAutoDetail View Post

I am wondering if things like Optimum's vinyl cleaner and protectant will do as well as Marine 31's on a boat.

Optimum makes top notch products. I'd say stick with what you know and trust.

The Marine 31 line is also top notch so if you ever want to venture out then give them a try.

One difference I would note between automotive formulas and marine formulas when it comes to vinyl products.

A quality marine vinyl product is formulated to NOT make vinyl slippery when it's wet and marine vinyl gets wet. That's not usually a factor when it comes to automotive use.

For example, for both the boats I've owned when people entered the boat they would often step ONTO THE VINYL SEAT and then step into the boat.

Boats get wet (duh) and vinyl boat seats get wet and using the wrong vinyl dressing could create a slip hazard and thus an accident issue.

Just something that most people might not consider.

Mike Phillips

Also...

Your code was messed up with your contact info so I fixed it...

Take a look at it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    As for using marine specific shampoos, I am not sure I see much difference. I have used various boat soaps and car soaps washing our boats, to relatively equal results. Right now, I am using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red with decent luck. Our boats sit in the water all summer and get a little grungy on the bottoms, so in the fall when I pull them out of the water, I use MaryKate On&Off first to get the heavy stuff, then I have been following with the CG to wash and neutralize the acid.

In the spring, I will wash them with the CG again, and then polish and wax them prior to hitting the water. I just acquired some Marine 31 All-In-One Gelcoat Polish and Wax and some Final Step Polish to add to my arsenal to try. After the polish, hit them with Collinite and they are ready to go!

Just for reference, our boats are MasterCrafts from 1989 and 1981, so they are far from new. I have had the 89 since 2004, and my father just picked up the 81 last summer.
    Good information! I have OPT Car Wash I will start off with first for washing. The M31 AIO seems to be good, I may look into that. I have also read great things about Collinite! I read that their Fleetwax lasts a year or so. I will have to check these out!

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana. ben@innovativeautodetailing.com / www.innovativeautodetailing.com / 864-398-7167
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Optimum makes top notch products. I'd say stick with what you know and trust.

The Marine 31 line is also top notch so if you ever want to venture out then give them a try.

One difference I would note between automotive formulas and marine formulas when it comes to vinyl products.

A quality marine vinyl product is formulated to NOT make vinyl slippery when it's wet and marine vinyl gets wet. That's not usually a factor when it comes to automotive use.

For example, for both the boats I've owned when people entered the boat they would often step ONTO THE VINYL SEAT and then step into the boat.

Boats get wet (duh) and vinyl boat seats get wet and using the wrong vinyl dressing could create a slip hazard and thus an accident issue.

Just something that most people might not consider.

Thank you for the information Mike! That is another concern I have with the two product lines. I wondered if the vinyl cleaner needed to be stronger or any different for a boat and you cleared that up for me! Thank you for the contact information change! I hope my IPad keeps it saved. I would rather be safe than sorry!

I will probably pick up some Marine 31 products and test them on a buddy's boat vs. the Optimum products to see what all works for me.

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana. ben@innovativeautodetailing.com / www.innovativeautodetailing.com / 864-398-7167

Post Thanks / Like

Marine 31 Products?

My signature should be good now!

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana.

www.innovativeautodetailing.com

864-398-7167