autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with boat that is catogory 1

Hello,

let me start by saying I have read how to detail boats. My question is my boat has no oxidation and has a great shine to it. I have been using a one step non abrasive sealant since new. It isn't a real strong cleaner. I can't use it to get rid of the exhaust stains, I use Meguiars for that. I have two questions.

First, there are two scratches that someone put in while they were looking in my boat. You can't feel them, there hard to see but I know they are there.

Second. At night, with the perfect angle and lighting I can see what look like water spots in the paint. I can't see them any other time. I included a picture from inside the care looking at the boat with the headlights on. If I go to the back of the boat and look towards the front that's when I could see the marks. My question is should I just leave these marks and scratch so I don't take the chance of doing damage to the paint? I have a lot of experience my my porter cable for cars. I have been using it to apply the sealant on the boat.

I hope the pictures I have show the condition of the paint. My boat sits on the water from may to the beginning of October for the last 12 years. I wash it every week and always get compliments on how good it looks.

I don't have any pics of the spots. I will try to take a picture when I get my boat out of storage.

thank you,

Lou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with boat that is catogory 1-387-jpg   Help with boat that is catogory 1-img_1156-jpg   Help with boat that is catogory 1-img_0571-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with boat that is catogory 1

You have a PC, go for it. Gel coat is harder than clear coat, so you need a more aggressive polish and pad combo. Least aggressive first and do a test spot.

Mike Phillips

What products do you have for compounds and polishes?

Did you like the book?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the book is excellent. Having each category and what products to use for each, including specific polishers and pads makes it very simple and specific.

The polishes I have are griots perfecting cream and ultimate polish. I have a small amount of ultimate compound left. I have lake county green, orange, black, white and blue pads. I have no problem buying new polishes and pads if needed. I am including my small notes from the book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with boat that is catogory 1-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterman View Post
    Hello,

let me start by saying I have read how to detail boats. My question is my boat has no oxidation and has a great shine to it. I have been using a one step non abrasive sealant since new. It isn't a real strong cleaner. I can't use it to get rid of the exhaust stains, I use Meguiars for that. I have two questions.

First, there are two scratches that someone put in while they were looking in my boat. You can't feel them, there hard to see but I know they are there.

Second. At night, with the perfect angle and lighting I can see what look like water spots in the paint. I can't see them any other time. I included a picture from inside the care looking at the boat with the headlights on. If I go to the back of the boat and look towards the front that's when I could see the marks. My question is should I just leave these marks and scratch so I don't take the chance of doing damage to the paint? I have a lot of experience my my porter cable for cars. I have been using it to apply the sealant on the boat.

I hope the pictures I have show the condition of the paint. My boat sits on the water from may to the beginning of October for the last 12 years. I wash it every week and always get compliments on how good it looks.

I don't have any pics of the spots. I will try to take a picture when I get my boat out of storage.

thank you,

Lou
    i know this is a old thread but I wanted to post pics of my gel coat. I was able to get rid of the scratches I mentioned in my post. I’m not sure if the pictures are coming out clear enough to see. My question is something that needs to be corrected or should I just leave it alone.

Lou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with boat that is catogory 1-f09825a9-f5c2-403f-8da5-7e2c0adfb1af-jpg   Help with boat that is catogory 1-51abc521-b73f-4a18-9fc6-59143ee107e0-jpg   Help with boat that is catogory 1-8c2161be-cae9-4330-a9fd-fa757cfb2c3c-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

What did you use to get the scratches out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    What did you use to get the scratches out?
    Hello,

It was either Meguiar’s 44 or grits perfecting cream. Sorry I don’t remember which one. I used lake county white pad.