autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick question....can I use a Porter Cable on a boat?

Get a rotary. Hf parking lot sale this weekend. I wouldn't think of trying to cut oxidation off Gel without one. Even a harbor freight although I hate the speed control but I have a couple for back ups. Makita fan myself.

On the water note. I have done several boats sitting on the rails of boat lifts with extention cord(not the plugs) running through the lake. I get Hazzard pay for this of course. Never had an issue. I bring GFI with. Never had it trip. Your mileage may vary.

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post

my father just purchased a nicer boat and wants me to detail it.

Nicer boat?

Does it have light oxidation and staining? Or worse?

I cover the Porter Cable and all condition of gel-coat boats, painted boats and even aluminum pontoon boats in this how-to book

Paperback book - How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

It's no coincidence that car guys also tend to be boat guys!

The two hobbies go together well when it comes to having fun and also when it comes to detailing and maintaining both cars and boats.

This how to book contains more in-depth information on boat detailing than any other book ever written on this topic. This is without a doubt the most complete and information rich how-to book I've ever written. (I have 5 paperback how-to books in print and 3 ebooks available).

This paperback book on how to detail boats goes over every surface of a boat both inside and out. It also covers every conceivable condition a boat is in with specific steps for correction.

It covers all these tools,

Flex 3401
    Flex PE14
    RUPES BigFoot 21
    RUPES BigFoot Duetto
    RUPES TA50
    Cyclo polisher
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    DeWALT 849X
    Makita 9237CX2
    Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
    3M Air DA Sander

Working by hand
    I know most people start out working by hand so I included hand techniques for every topic.

Plus all the pads, brushes and sanding discs to use with the above tool.

Instead of typing out all the topics covered in this book I've simply taken pictures of the index which shows you just how in-depth this how to book truly is...

Many of the topics covered also apply to car detailing so it's a valuable resource even if you don't yet own a boat.

If you're familiar with my writing style in the forum world you'll find the same style of writing in all my how-to books. That is I explain in simple terms how to perform a process plus why you're performing it and it's a combination of including both types of information that helps you to do the best work possible.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ellens2 View Post

Get the Lake Country Thin Foamed Wool Pads

5 1/2 Inch Thin Foamed Wool Pad (2-Pack)

I show these pads in the book.

Also, for gel-coat boats in category #1 and #2, (see the book for all 4 categories), a person could use the extremely sharp and fast cutting ThinPro pads like the grey and orange shown in this article,

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek

Gel-coat finishes tend to dull down when using soft foam for correction but they love hard sharp foam.

Of course, soft foam waxing pads work perfectly fine for machine applying a wax or sealant to perfect gel-coat finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Boat isn't in awful condition, it just needs a detail. It's been out of the water for 2 years while for sale, my father bought it and put it in the water for a bit this late summer in Cape Cod and now it's going to his primary residence and into the garage next to the Corvette's for a detail.

Post Thanks / Like

A handy item if you are working around water a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufac...on%2Bcord&th=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Nicer boat?

Does it have light oxidation and staining? Or worse?

I cover the Porter Cable and all condition of gel-coat boats, painted boats and even aluminum pontoon boats in this how-to book

Paperback book - How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

It's no coincidence that car guys also tend to be boat guys!

The two hobbies go together well when it comes to having fun and also when it comes to detailing and maintaining both cars and boats.

This how to book contains more in-depth information on boat detailing than any other book ever written on this topic. This is without a doubt the most complete and information rich how-to book I've ever written. (I have 5 paperback how-to books in print and 3 ebooks available).

This paperback book on how to detail boats goes over every surface of a boat both inside and out. It also covers every conceivable condition a boat is in with specific steps for correction.

It covers all these tools,

Flex 3401
    Flex PE14
    RUPES BigFoot 21
    RUPES BigFoot Duetto
    RUPES TA50
    Cyclo polisher
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    DeWALT 849X
    Makita 9237CX2
    Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
    3M Air DA Sander

Working by hand
    I know most people start out working by hand so I included hand techniques for every topic.

Plus all the pads, brushes and sanding discs to use with the above tool.

Instead of typing out all the topics covered in this book I've simply taken pictures of the index which shows you just how in-depth this how to book truly is...

Many of the topics covered also apply to car detailing so it's a valuable resource even if you don't yet own a boat.

If you're familiar with my writing style in the forum world you'll find the same style of writing in all my how-to books. That is I explain in simple terms how to perform a process plus why you're performing it and it's a combination of including both types of information that helps you to do the best work possible.

Deosnt get get any better than that on info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12