autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire questions for new truck

I recently replaced my 12 year old pickup with a new one. I have two Blackfire products that I had used on a 2014 Corvette about two years ago. Since then, that car has been ceramic coated.

My questions concern the products, if they are still good and the process I plan to use on my new truck. On the vette, I had first used a Mothers Speed Clay 2.0. I then used Blackfire Total Polish and Seal with a white pad. The final coat was Blackfire Crystal Seal.

Are the Blackfire products still okay to use? I have kept them stored inside.

Since the truck is new,should I do all three steps again (Speed Clay, Total Polish and Seal, Crystal Seal)?

I am concerned about rust and having the truck rust-proofed this week. Should I add a coat of a good wax too?

I tried some searches but with all of the information available, I was confusing myself so I thought I would ask for advice here.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire questions for new truck

The products should be fine as long as they smell ok and are not permanently separated (shake them rigorously to see if they mix to a normal consistency). My guess is they are fine.

Crystal Seal should be serving as your “wax” to prevent weathering. But you certainly could apply a finishing wax on top of that. I would apply Crystal Seal every few mo the and maybe every 9 months to a year you could refresh with BF TP&S.

Post Thanks / Like

the condition of your paint will determine what steps are needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
    I am concerned about rust and having the truck rust-proofed this week. Should I add a coat of a good wax too?
    Are you planning on wax before or after the rust-proofing? I'd check with the guys doing the work to see what they say. The rust-proofing material may not bond well if the vehicle is waxed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Are you planning on wax before or after the rust-proofing? I'd check with the guys doing the work to see what they say. The rust-proofing material may not bond well if the vehicle is waxed.
    I interpreted OP’s post as using LSP for “rust proof”. I didn’t think he was getting anything special sprayed on but your post begs the question.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have been clear. I am having a spray-on rustproofing material applied to the underbody of the truck. My plan was to have that done first and then begin the work on the paint. I will check the Blackfire products as advised to here.

The condition of the paint is very good from what I can see and what I expected it would look like on a new vehicle. Since the vette was a few years old when I worked on that, I used the process I mentioned in my first post. I was mainly wondering about the Total Polish and Seal phase and whether it would be recommended.

Thank you for your replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
    I should have been clear. I am having a spray-on rustproofing material applied to the underbody of the truck. My plan was to have that done first and then begin the work on the paint. I will check the Blackfire products as advised to here.

The condition of the paint is very good from what I can see and what I expected it would look like on a new vehicle. Since the vette was a few years old when I worked on that, I used the process I mentioned in my first post. I was mainly wondering about the Total Polish and Seal phase and whether it would be recommended.

Thank you for your replies.
    Just my opinion, but I would personally polish even new vehicle paint. Those dealers probably washed the truck a number of times with less than ideal techniques. BF TP&S will do that for you, probably wouldn’t need any aggressiveness. Or any other polish could do the job as well. Then Crystal.

But if you don’t want to polish, it’s not the end of the world.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will polish with the TP&S, Crystal, then a finishing wax. I may not need it but winters here are rough.