autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: 2010 Porsche Black - Suggestions

2010 Porsche Black - Suggestions-fullsizeoutput_11a6-jpg

Well to update all that review and commented I ran into trouble on this one, my first and surely not the last 'oops' moment.

If you can zoom into the photo I discovered at the finishing point that the PPF film showed some type of either paint orange peel effect below the PPF or the adhesive was going bad. The owner took it in stride acknowledging that the previous person had purchased it as a 'Certified' used vehicle from local Porsche dealer. So did not think it had been repainted.

I took everyone's advice but still started with the Gyeon PPF Renew polish. Used a 3-in GG G8 running at speed-4 with the black pads (finishing). Did my test spot a 12x12 section on the hood PPF. Did my 6-section passes and commenced to wipe off the compound. To my surprise it was hazy and looked like nothing had been removed. In shock (or horror) I immediately tried another MF cloth and still the polishing looked horrid. I then remember something Mike Phillips had used on a soft plastic top and grabbed the Pinnacle Advance Finishing compound and tried it! Well something a bit better but could still see the pattern from the polishing. Reached now for my paint prep product, Carpro Eraser, to wipe and clean off the surface. It was better but still that fogginess remained. I put down a few dabs of the Blackfire One Step to see if it could clear up the mess. Nope, it was better but still off. While doing that I used the Eraser product to clean up the section and had the MF cloth sitting on the edge of the hood with my hand or fingers resting on the surface. Pulled up the cloth to revel my four finger prints showing up beneath the PPF. Now in a panic, I decided to stop and try the paint.

From that point on, Sizzle Chest and others had recommended using soft pads and just the BF One Step. Paint behaved very nice and my blood pressure started to come back down. Amazingly, my finger prints disappeared as well as the polishing marring. So I finished the job of a light polish and application of the BF BlackICE Hybrid Wax to the paint. I did apply the wax on the PPF but did that by hand.

Not shown in the picture, I used the DP Wheel and Glass coatings to finish up things as well as using some metal polish on the exhaust tips.

Final results looked great and the customer was pleased and paid me too! Whew! Cannot get the finish photo reduced so will try to post again with Tapatalk.

Has anyone ran into this with old PPF film and ways to resolve? Any experience to share? I have never seen this in all my 5-years using PPF on my autos before this older film.

Live and learn, sometimes under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Porsche Black - Suggestions

Here are before and after

Last on might show defects in PPF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PPF can be tricky. A lot depends on the brand/etc. Heat is the #1 killer/issue with it IMO. Put too much on/into it and it will/can react poorly. Need to take it slow and low, and definitely least aggressive first.

Glad it worked out for you. Nice work, 911 came out looking good!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

5. Thanks JustJesus, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I treat PPF like the worst softest paint I've ever laid my hands on. It definitely depends on the quality of the PPF itself as well as how good the installer is. Just because it's a porsche doesn't mean the dealership didn't hire the cheapest guy they could find to do the PPF either.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

7. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see things worked out for you.

All the best man

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12