autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire One-step vs. Mckee's37 360 AIO

Has anyone used both of these products and can give some insight as far as how they compare or not?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire One-step vs. Mckee's37 360 AIO

Both very good products. I've more experience with 360 than Blackfire, though. Both products were very easy to use, and 360 gave 4-6 months of real world, daily driver protection. I will say that it stained the Griots BOSS pads I was using. Since I just re-introduced myself to Blackfire, I can't speak to it's durability, but I expect similar results. The Blackfire beat 360 as it pertains to gloss, with a slight edge also in slickness. Here's the link to my thread about Blackfire with a pic of the car I did with it:

I used to dislike Blackfire One Step...then this happened....

3. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used both an my observations to date:

- Mckee's 360 has incredible durability. I did a friend's car - one that is ONLY cared for ONCE a year (when I do it). I was able to get just shy of 10 months durability before beading gave in. I see the car weekly and was pleasantly surprised how well it held up. McKee's 360 also does a nice job glossing the paint. Has good working time, but not quite as much as BF. One drawback, it stains pads. The only cleaner that would remove 360 was Mckee's polishing pad cleaner (the yellow powder you mix with water). Pads still don't come 100% clean so do as I do and dedicate some pads to 360. Dusts just a little but only after working it for a while. As far as smell goes, it's a mix of cherry smell combined with some light chemical smell. Not in any way offensive or hard to work with - and has a little stronger smell than the original 360 (when it was Pinnacle XMT 360 - which smelled like pure cherry candy).

- BF One-Step just did a black car with this and WOW it has amazing correcting ability for an AIO (has the most bite of any AIO I have used) and finishes down very well. It also left the paint really glossy and incredibly smooth. Has excellent working time - you could polish for 10 minutes and not dry out. Very little dusting, I mean VERY little. It too stains pads, but not quite to the extend of 360. I would call dusting a tie with 360. As far as durability, that I cannot comment on because I have not used this on either of my vehicles and none of the cars I've used it on have been back. As far as smell, it has a very pleasant coconut/pina coloda'ish smell - very easy to work with.

I would say whichever AIO you go with, dedicate a few pads to it. 360, BF and HD Speed all are pad stainers (to some extent). The only AIO that I have used that does not stain pads is Griot's Finishing Sealant. That cleans out of pads VERY easily.

Hope this helps,
    ScottH

5. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

My Dad acquires a very nice 2005 red 50th anniversary Thunderbird that has been very neglected. I was going to work it over pretty good but due to his and my Mom's health my time is limited. Since he's proud of it I want to get it shined up for him. That's why I am thinking about going the AIO step to save me some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. New here. I just made my first post in the introduction section of the forum. I’m trying to figure out a plan of action to detail my fairly neglected 2010 Nissan Frontier. It’s black.
    These are 2 products that have caught my attention when reading posts for the last several months.
    I have seen numerous posts with differing information about these products staining ( leaving residue) on plastic trim and rubber weather stripping. What is the consensus on this issue with these products ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
    Hi. New here. I just made my first post in the introduction section of the forum. I’m trying to figure out a plan of action to detail my fairly neglected 2010 Nissan Frontier. It’s black.
    These are 2 products that have caught my attention when reading posts for the last several months.
    I have seen numerous posts with differing information about these products staining ( leaving residue) on plastic trim and rubber weather stripping. What is the consensus on this issue with these products ?
    You can dress the trim prior to polishing, making any accidental contact clean-ups easier. If you don't dress the trim before polishing, then tape the trim, polish the paint, then dress the trim.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    You can dress the trim prior to polishing, making any accidental contact clean-ups easier. If you don't dress the trim before polishing, then tape the trim, polish the paint, then dress the trim.
    Or just be REALLY careful around it.

But, expd has better advice than me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense guys. Thanks. But, sorry for the dumb question, what would I dress the trim with ?
    My plastic trim is fairly oxidized and chalky looking I’m really intrigued by the Solution Finish Trim Restorer. I thought I’d use that on all the plastic trim ( including bumper pads and windshield wiper cowl ) and rubber moldings after correcting the paint.
    Would I still need to cover the trim from stains even if I am planning on using this afterwards ?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Blackfire Tire & Trim sealant. It keeps plastic trim looking wet for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
    Makes sense guys. Thanks. But, sorry for the dumb question, what would I dress the trim with ?
    My plastic trim is fairly oxidized and chalky looking I’m really intrigued by the Solution Finish Trim Restorer. I thought I’d use that on all the plastic trim ( including bumper pads and windshield wiper cowl ) and rubber moldings after correcting the paint.
    Would I still need to cover the trim from stains even if I am planning on using this afterwards ?
    I've never used Solution Finish, so I can't comment on how well it could protect the trim from absorbing polish. Myself, I would just try to steer clear of the trim with the polisher by being careful, then dress the trim with Solution Finish. Normally it's advised to use tape if you are newer with a polisher though. Since polishes do dust a little bit, there is usually some dust on the trim that needs addressed after polishing, so I save my plastic trim dressing stage for after polishing, usually, so that I don't have to touch the trim twice.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast