autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: To use SiO2 or not

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    so I have just applied the blackfire ceramic coating and am trying to figure out
    1) do I need a second coat and if its been several hours between can this be done
    2) the difference between the coating booster and the SIO2 spray and
    3) which to use when any advice would be greatly appreciated
    1) Not sure about second coat, will let someone else answer.
    2) The Booster is thinner. Some claim it’s hard to tell if it’s even adding value, it’s so thin. I myself can see an increase in glassy shine when applying it, but have no clue if it has any real longevity or not. The SiO2 Spray is much more substantial, way better as a standalone, can last weeks for some or months for others by itself. I believe this has a lot more sealant polymers than the Booster.
    3) Pick one and go for it, don’t buy a gallon of each like I did. The SiO2 Spray is more popular and will probably alter the look and characteristics of your coating more while adding some decent protection, and I would think using it every 1-2 months max would be fine.
    If you prefer your coating characteristics and look and only want a slight shine refresh without adding much durability/protection, I would recommend the Booster and you can use it probably as often as you want is my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

You can definitely use the new Sio2 sprays over carnauba wax products. Ive done it and Pinnacle even recommends it.

You probably won't get the paint to pop unless you polish. At the very least a paint cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

On a related note, I've been using the BF SiO2 Spray recently. Can I apply McKees Paint Coating over the top of it without removing the BF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    On a related note, I've been using the BF SiO2 Spray recently. Can I apply McKees Paint Coating over the top of it without removing the BF?
    This doesn’t sound like a good idea, not if you want predicted longevity from the coating. BF SiO2 has polymers in it besides SiO2 and, additionally, your surface isn’t squeaky clean anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that since s102 is a form of silicone, that it can go over or under any other silicone product. By the way polymers are also a form of silicone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I would think that since s102 is a form of silicone, that it can go over or under any other silicone product. By the way polymers are also a form of silicone
    Silicon and Silicone are 2 different things.

SiO2 = Silicon Dioxide

At least that what my Google Science 101 tells me To use SiO2 or not

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    1) Not sure about second coat, will let someone else answer.
    2) The Booster is thinner. Some claim it’s hard to tell if it’s even adding value, it’s so thin. I myself can see an increase in glassy shine when applying it, but have no clue if it has any real longevity or not. The SiO2 Spray is much more substantial, way better as a standalone, can last weeks for some or months for others by itself. I believe this has a lot more sealant polymers than the Booster.
    3) Pick one and go for it, don’t buy a gallon of each like I did. The SiO2 Spray is more popular and will probably alter the look and characteristics of your coating more while adding some decent protection, and I would think using it every 1-2 months max would be fine.
    If you prefer your coating characteristics and look and only want a slight shine refresh without adding much durability/protection, I would recommend the Booster and you can use it probably as often as you want is my guess.

Thanks so much I really appreciate the help- did put on a second coat and let it sit for another 24 hours then did the SIO2 over top will continue on with the SIO2 thanks for the advice about not buying another extra gallon I don't have any more room in my locker anyway

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12