autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire & Trim Restorer on 12 year old Forester =\

So many suggestions, one thing is for sure, there are so many variables with trim; without even getting into variations of age and weathering, it seems like even on the same vehicle there are usually multiple types of material which may respond differently.

The product that works in the most number of situations for me is WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant).

Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado - that's one helluva before after. To compare, it's like taking single stage paint and just removing the oxidation. Thx for this post. Interesting...

3. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd show a picture of my actual bumper, but the forum nor app will upload them. I get a upload failure =\

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be down in Monmouth Cty. on Saturday, I'd bring my WETS and meet up with you somewhere if it wasn't going to be back to WINTER on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

-Having prepped (collision shop) and worked on many of the afformentioned Subaru Foresters, the bumpers and trim are textured raw plastic of a polypropylene mix, usually PP+EPDM.

-The wheel opening flares on the older Tacomas have typically been a color impregnated plastic of a different makeup and blend, the same was used for the spare tire covers on the Rav4's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    -Having prepped (collision shop) and worked on many of the afformentioned Subaru Foresters, the bumpers and trim are textured raw plastic of a polypropylene mix, usually PP+EPDM.

-The wheel opening flares on the older Tacomas have typically been a color impregnated plastic of a different makeup and blend, the same was used for the spare tire covers on the Rav4's
    I know you have previously provided some great reference material on the range of plastics used in modern vehicles.

For a typical vehicle, how many different types of plastic would you estimate there are, that we would consider "trim" that would need to be dressed and handled differently from painted surfaces?

I mean, if I have a typical modern vehicle, and I have polished the paint, cleaned the glass and the chrome and the shiny black plastic, and now I have my trim dressing in hand and am going to go around the vehicle and treat all the remaining door and window trim, cladding, wiper cowling, etc., how many different materials am I going to encounter that might react differently from each other?

Post Thanks / Like

JK, awesome info!

So given that, " textured raw plastic of a polypropylene mix, usually PP+EPDM", what product is designed to be effective at restoring it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I've listened to that podcast, however it's irrelevant in regards to the pieces on the Tacoma because this smooth plastic trim is non porous. Neither Solution Finish, TW Endura, not Ultimate Black, Armor All, or anything else is going to be able to penetrate it at all.

Anything that's applied will simply lay on top, and if the surface is oxidized or contaminated it'll wear off in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I commend you for finding what works on the Tacoma trim. Just saying that all plastics are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    I appreciate all the advice, really! I intend to clean the plastic with IPA and then try a test spot with the Solution Finish.

I've noted the other methods and products suggested and will work my way through them until something works.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Check on the solution finish page on how to prep the surface.

i'd show a picture of my actual bumper, but the forum nor app will upload them. I get a upload failure =\
    Try using photobucket for the meantime to host your photos.

JK, awesome info!

So given that, " textured raw plastic of a polypropylene mix, usually PP+EPDM", what product is designed to be effective at restoring it?
    Try a test spot with SF. Top it with whatever trim protectant you have as SF is not that great at repelling water.

Post Thanks / Like

I called Solutions Finish and I was given a bunch of tips:

- wash down plastic with a 70-90% alcohol (can do a 50/50 mix with distilled water)

- it should work quite well for the PP+EDPM plastic. It actually works by dissolving the impurities and additives in the plastic that have broken down and replaces them with oils and a UV inhibitor.

- treat whole car (bumpers, trim, mirrors, etc.), then go back to the start and buff off residue with MF towel.

- The less that comes off the towel is an indicator of efficient application. You don't want to over-apply the stuff. Spread it on and keep spreading until the effect starts diminishing, then add another dot of product to the MF pad and continue applying.

- It doesn't work as well on new plastic since there isn't as much or any oxidation.

- can apply coating/sealant over Solutions Finish (silicone-based or other)

So, with all that, I'm quite excited to try this product! My wife (it's her car) will be extremely thrilled to see this plastic come back to newer appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I know you have previously provided some great reference material on the range of plastics used in modern vehicles.

For a typical vehicle, how many different types of plastic would you estimate there are, that we would consider "trim" that would need to be dressed and handled differently from painted surfaces?

I mean, if I have a typical modern vehicle, and I have polished the paint, cleaned the glass and the chrome and the shiny black plastic, and now I have my trim dressing in hand and am going to go around the vehicle and treat all the remaining door and window trim, cladding, wiper cowling, etc., how many different materials am I going to encounter that might react differently from each other?
    There are easily over a dozen different formulations of plastic used in a single vehicle. But, for what you will encounter through detailing, there may only be two or three different types of reactions for the given materials. Ideally for repair purposes, the plastics are separated into three groups: ones that boil when introduced to heat (when trying to hot weld a crack-i.e. cannot be welded/repaired), ones that melt and smear when introduced to heat or grinding (once again pertains to hot welding a crack or the like-i.e. can be effectively welded/repaired-most bumpers and textured exterior trim items), and then your structural components that tend to have fibers in them for structure/strength-these typicaly do not get repaired if broken.

I did leave out light lenses on this. We know that if they break that they cannot be permanently repaired to be un-noticable, but we can always sand and buff them if they are scratched or hazed. Not to mention the fact that headlight lenses are actually comprised of two layers of different types of plastic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast