autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Blackfire Hand Application Advice, Please?

I own a 2007 Ford F150, Regular cab, Dark Blue Pearl Metallic. BFWD=Blackfire Wet Diamond
    Awhile back I was going to have my son detail my truck and then seal it with the BFWD sealant. But, I had a relapse with my BTK amputation and was put back in the hospital.
    I am now at a stage where I can help my son somewhat. My plan is to wash with Meguiar's Gold, clay bar, polish with NU-FINISH, then seal with the BFWD. I will be applying the BFWD by hand. I have several Meguiar's foam pad applicators to apply the sealant. Is this good enough to use? When applying, should I do a circular motion or side to side? What is the proper drying time before removing the sealant? After applying the sealant, I like to use a good detail spray to bring more pop to the finish. Do I have to allow the sealant some curing time before doing this?
    We will be under a carport doing the work. It will be very humid and the temperature will probably be in the upper 80's to low 90's with a heat index of about 100*-102*.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Hand Application Advice, Please?

you lost me at Nu Finish...

but the bottle has pretty clear instructions with cure times and such, its on the product page too. If i were you i would just stick with the nufish, putting Bfwd over it isn't going to do much.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking I read a post like this a month or so ago from you?

My advice, have him hand apply BFWD and be done with it. It will leave a nice shine and protect your vehicle.

Hope all comes out better for you
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I'm thinking I read a post like this a month or so ago from you?

My advice, have him hand apply BFWD and be done with it. It will leave a nice shine and protect your vehicle.

Hope all comes out better for you
    You obviously have me confused with someone else. I have been in the hospital for about the last 2.5-3 months.
    So, you suggest to just wash, clay bar, and apply the BFWD sealant and be done with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the megs foam pads will be fine for the BFWD. Circular or linear will work. I always feel like I get better coverage with circular application, regardless of the instructions. But when in doubt, follow the instructions. Apply it thin. I'd give it 24 hours or so before topping with a spray wax if you choose to do so.

I can't comment on the nu-finish, as I haven't used it. If it's a simple polish, you could top it with BFWD. But if it's got a sealant/wax component to it, the blackfire isn't going to exhibit its highest potential. In that case, I'd skip the NF and go directly to the blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEOVALFITTER View Post
    You obviously have me confused with someone else. I have been in the hospital for about the last 2.5-3 months.
    So, you suggest to just wash, clay bar, and apply the BFWD sealant and be done with it?
    I just read a little about the nu-finish. If you're applying BFWD, definitely skip the nu-finish. yes-- wash, clay, apply BFWD.

Post Thanks / Like

Skip the nu-finish, doubtful the blackfire will bond over it. Apply it THIN and since it's going to be so humid out it will probably be a longer amount of time before you can remove it. Swipe your finger across it and if it comes off and leaves streak free paint, it's ready to be removed. I'd skip the spray wax too, there's not much to gain and it will alter the slickness of the sealant.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies/advice. I am going to take some before and after pics and post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Blackfire Hand Application Advice, Please?

I know I said I would take some before pics, but, my son had started washing the truck before I had a chance.
    This is the end result of washing with Meguiar's Gold Shampoo, using a Meguiars clay bar kit, then applying BLACKFIRE WET DIAMOND paint sealant. The finish really needed a good clay bar job, which it got! And, the BFWD is some dayum good sealant!
    My cousin and his wife showed up just as we were finishing up and they were amazed at the out come.
    My cousin's wife own's an 2010 Lariat, red in color with a silver stripe on the bottom. That truck NEVER gets dirty! But, she uses Turtle Wax soap only on the outside. She has NEVER waxed it! So, my son clayed her front fender then applied the BFWD. I wish I could have taken a pic of her face! Long story short, we showed her how to clay bar and let her use the BFWD . She was going to do the work today.
    Anyway, here are some pics of my truck. I hope they're up to everyones standards here.
    BTW, all the work was done by hand. No machines were harmed in any way!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Blackfire Hand Application Advice, Please?

Here's a pic my son took that I did not know about until he sent it to me;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast