autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Cleaning Method on Road Trip

I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as my final sealant on my 2016 Dodge SRT. My question is, when I'm on a road trip or otherwise don't have access to water and bucket, etc. what is the best way to clean the car? In the past I would use a self serve car wash and just use plain water from the wand and then use a micro fiber drying cloth and water blade on windows. I have never had a problem with swirls although those cars were usually silver. Now I have Granite Crystal darker color car. I just want to do an occasional clean up from road dust, etc. while traveling.

Could I just use the Blackfire spray detailer after washing off with with water and drying? Or is drying a no no if I haven't actually cleaned the finish but just sprayed off with water? I'm not familiar with the waterless wash as I usually use the traditional soap and bucket when at home. Thanks for suggestions.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Cleaning Method on Road Trip

For longer road trips, I usually take a 5 gallon bucket filled with rinseless solution, my big red sponge, a few waffle weave towels, and a handful of crap towels. With this, I can do a rinseless wash and wipe down wheels twice. I usually don't worry about going anymore in depth on a long road trip. Before I leave, I will do a good detail including a deep tire clean and fresh tire shine.

For shorter, a good waterless wash and towels will serve you well. I love Ultima Waterless Wash +. Absolutely amazing product.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtndriver View Post
    I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as my final sealant on my 2016 Dodge SRT. My question is, when I'm on a road trip or otherwise don't have access to water and bucket, etc. what is the best way to clean the car? In the past I would use a self serve car wash and just use plain water from the wand and then use a micro fiber drying cloth and water blade on windows. I have never had a problem with swirls although those cars were usually silver. Now I have Granite Crystal darker color car. I just want to do an occasional clean up from road dust, etc. while traveling.

Could I just use the Blackfire spray detailer after washing off with with water and drying? Or is drying a no no if I haven't actually cleaned the finish but just sprayed off with water? I'm not familiar with the waterless wash as I usually use the traditional soap and bucket when at home. Thanks for suggestions.
    Take a good simple Rinseless wash option kit with you. I don't do waterless but rather rinseless.

Blasting it off at the DIY is great but not enough to avoid scratches. It's not a difficult and a very safe process. Here's a link to my system/method:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1345425

Each wash for my car after say a nasty rain storm, etc. would require I bring the following. Sounds like a lot but honestly everything fits into (1-2) 5 gal buckets I have equipped with lids.

If possible I find a DIY wash place to blast off the gunk. I then typically drive back to the hotel and park in a well lit area. This way I have access to water and can have a safer well lit area to work.

Very worse case I at least like to wash off the front end of the vehicle if there are ton of bugs on it.

• (6-8) 480gsm MF Rags for the painted surfaces.
    • (2) cheaper MF Rags for wheels
    • Wheel brush
    • (2-3) gal. size bucket for wash
    • (2) 5 gal buckets w/lid for wet or dirty towels & as a carrying system for everything
    • Rinseless wash solution. I bring 3 oz or so. 1 for the spray, 1 for the bucket and extra for spray bottle use if needed.
    • Power Sprayer or 1 gal size garden sprayer for dispensing solution
    • (1) 16-32oz Spray bottle of RW Solution for wheels and touch ups
    • (1) large drying towel
    • (2) smaller drying towels
    • (2-3) 480gsm MF Buffing towels
    • Detail Spray of Choice
    • Tire Dressing & Applicator
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of gear for a road trip. Seems like a water wand at a car wash kept a safe distance away, wet the car, and then go with a product from there, wipe and go. Great suggestions, just seems cumbersome when I just want to wash off the dust or some road film from driving in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtndriver View Post
    That's a lot of gear for a road trip. Seems like a water wand at a car wash kept a safe distance away, wet the car, and then go with a product from there, wipe and go. Great suggestions, just seems cumbersome when I just want to wash off the dust or some road film from driving in the rain.
    Two five gallon buckets is all it is. Everything fits inside those two buckets. I suppose I could condense it to a single bucket if I created travel size products but I take the gear right out of my cabinet instead. I also pack more rags/towels than needed but again, I always have room for it.

I just packed mine up for a road trip that will keep me away in Michigan for 4 nights and 5 days. May or may not use it but I have plenty of room in trunk and it only takes me 1hr to do the entire car from Mud to Pristine including wheels.

I get up at 5am, workout/run until 6pm, hydrate myself and then wash from 6-7am, shower and dress and am out the door by 8-8:30am.

I'm crazy like that but with downtime in the evening or early morning, nothing beats being able to go out on business in a perfectly clean car even when I'm on the road. Customers and coworkers appreciate it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)