autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Samples?

Post Thanks / Like

Samples?

Will there be samples to try at detail fest. I have some really faded black trim that i would like to save. But not just buy and hope. The rubber trim that goes around the windshield on my mustang is shot.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Samples?

You don't need to "buy and hope"

You have 3 choices to buy that are 100% going to meet your needs/satisfaction if not exceed them

1) UTTG
    2) WETS
    3) PERL

instead of hoping to get a freebie sample, and a sample that is aimed towards specifically trim

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean, because I didn't want to buy one. I have trim that nothing I have has worked on. If I found one that worked, I would buy a FULL bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

The three I listed are pretty good, with the PERL being dilutable, UTTG/WETS is the same except WETS cost more

and if either of those do not impress you, Meguiars Trim Gel or Blackfire Eclipse Tire Gel have had great reviews

Post Thanks / Like

PERL works awesome. I've used it at 1:3 on plastic trims and it looks awesome after 2 application. 2 is good enough for me to not want to do 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive tried meguirs Back to black it works good. but Its a bear to get off your paint if you accidently get it on there.....
    2001-42 Turbo Steeda Focus
    1989 Merkur Xr4ti
    I am the Turbo Princess!!

Post Thanks / Like

Read this review Review: Solution Finish “Brings Black Back” (Trim Restoration Product).

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

And see if it sounds like something that would fit your needs. Not sure if it's meant for rubber.

I remember a nice post by Cee Dog (Corey), it might have been his PERL review, where he rejuvenated some rubber door seals by first "correcting" them like you would do with paint, e.g. rotary, pad, compound and then dressed them, and got good looks and durability, IIRC.

I've used PERL on plastic and rubber in the engine bay and on the wheel wells, door seals, and tires and it looks good and lasts a long time. It even seems to have survived quite a bit of rain on my the tires on my wife's car last time around.

A little segue, but the point being that the dressing lasts longer on external exposed rubber if the rubber is cleaned really well and dried well before applying the product and then letting that dry as well.

The following is how I got PERL to stand up to the rain on tires.

I cleaned them well with Optimum Power Clean diluted 1:3 (with distilled H2O) let cleaner dwell as I went around the car getting all tires. Then gave a quick brush with a stiff tire brush, rinsed, and sprayed them again with OPC (along with OPC on the wheels this time) and let the OPC dwell on the tires while I cleaned the wheels. Then rinsed both well and blew dry with a master blaster. Didn't get around to dressing them with PERL (diluted 1:1 with distilled water) until noonish the next day. It was sunny, 70's (the nicest day of the year till then, a winter blessing). Using a little 4 oz fine mist pump sprayer, (not the fastest way, but it's a fairly well controlled spray), sprayed the tires with PERL 1:1, then finished up the wheels with Megs M156 (UQW), and maybe 10 minutes after that sprayed the tires again (lightly, and avoiding the wheels) with PERL 1:1 again. After drying a bit more, I might have gone around the tires with a cheap MF lightly misted with PERL to sop up any that hadn't dried. At least that's how I remember it.

I think the extra cleaning on the tires, a clean and dry tire, and letting the PERL have time to dry really helped the stuff stand up to the rain vs. just hastily spraying 2 coats on there. Not that I wasn't in a hurry when I applied it, but I had cleaned the tires really well the night before.

Nothing new here, I was just doin' it as I was taught here on the forums.