autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Over spray

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Over spray

What is the easiest and quickest way to remove over spray from a steel dash in the car?

Mike Phillips

Re: Over spray

Quote Originally Posted by Caymandave View Post

What is the easiest and quickest way to remove over spray from a steel dash in the car?
    I hate to assume but since you didn't say, I'm assuming you're talking about a PAINTED steel dash?

I would say the safest way would be a fine grade detailing clay.

Use lots of lube to avoid scratching so you won't have to then polish the dash.

Mike Phillips

Here's an old 2-door Ford I detailed to review some new products back in 2017....

I clayed the dash and then polished the dash. Documented everything too. Sorry no pictures of me claying the dash or the rest of the car but I did this after a waterless wash.

Paint looks good here doesn't it?

My personal, trusty dusty SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light...

Frame-up the shot....

Ouch!

Well at least the dash is good to go....

Nope - I typed too soon....

AFTER

Blast from the past - full write-up here,

Review and How-To: Gyeon Compound, Polish and Primer - 1932 Ford Roadster detailed by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I supplied a dust cover but the car sat in a paint shop for the better part of 11 months with no cover so I am assuming it has overspray everywhere. I’ll give it a shot. Dave
    Yes the rooster does look good but it needs to be buffed out??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caymandave View Post
    Thanks Mike, I supplied a dust cover but the car sat in a paint shop for the better part of 11 months with no cover so I am assuming it has overspray everywhere. I’ll give it a shot. Dave
    Yes the rooster does look good but it needs to be buffed out??
    If you have a lot of overspray I would invest in a real good clay bar that is on the more aggressive side. The benefit is that you need less aggitations to get the overspray off and that you cut down some time with it too. Use a great claylube like Dodo Juice Born Slippy clay lube concentrate or Carpro Immolube. To minimize the clay marring. The need of a light polishing is needed I think after it has been sitting in the bodyshop for so long. If you have heavly overspray I don't think a clay alternatives is effective enough to clean it up. Maybe a medium grade clay disc on the polisher could work. But that is also very aggressive and you will need to be polishing it afterwards.

3M Perfect-It III Cleaner Clay, 3m 38070, a paint-cleaning detailing clay that grabs foreign particles as it glides across the paint.

Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive - C2100

Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate, born slippy clay lube, detailing clay lubricant, clay lube concentrate

CarPro ImmoLube 1 Liter

Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad

https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-au...pplicator.html