autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class

I attended the second day of the Tacoma Roadshow Class on 7-28. It was a small class, 10 of us so I knew there would be A LOT of hands-on time and I was so right. Started off with an impromptu meet and greet in the parking lot as people showed up. Mike Phillips and Jeff Brown came out and chatted a bit before we went to the classroom. Jeff gave us a bit of a tour and some history of the Griot's facility that was a bottling plant for Coca-Cola before Richard Griot bought it. I did not know that and I'm up here 2-3 times a month (I'm 20 min. away). Anyway, we spent maybe 20 minutes in the classroom with an overview of the day before heading out to the wash bay to get started.

I could write all day about everything we did, so here the short list: Convertible top cleaning and protecting, chemical decontamination, wheel cleaning, and wash techniques. Then it was into the Griot's Garage garage (the R&D Shop where all the testing and video/photo shoots are done) for more hands-on work. In here we covered: Rinseless and waterless washing, mechanical decontamination, paint inspection, taping off, test spots, one-step correction, multi-step correction, class polishing and sealing, wet sanding / deep defect removal, rotary polishers, and final inspections.

I consider myself to be a very good detailer and learned that I've been using my BOSS Finishing Sealant all wrong. It is a great AIO when teamed up with the proper pads (MF and Cutting Pads). Going into the class, being at Griot's I figured that it would be all Griot's products being used and that was fine with me as 85% of my products I use are Griot's. Jeff Brown and Sam Battersby, both R&D guys, were there as well. I did hear some grumbling about how it felt like a big infomercial for Griot's products. Well if we're in their facility for a detailing class, it kinda makes sense for them to showcase their products! I'm sure it was the same way last week at 3D too. Besides, It's not the products you came to the class for, it was the hands-on learning with Mike Phillips (and Jeff Brown!). It's the different techniques he had to offer and the safe and more efficient ways to detail. It can all be applied to almost any product you are using. There was some demo's of Griot's specific products like the BOSS Foam System that looks amazing and I can't wait to try out and I'll even write up a review on (I need to do more reviews).

Overall I'm very happy I made the investment I made to come to this class. I learned quite a few little tips and techniques that I didn't know and am really looking forward to trying them out! If you get a chance to make to a Roadshow Class or any of Mike's classes do it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!. ....and It's always a good day when you have Mike Phillips washing your truck for you!

My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_1719-jpgMy thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_1717-jpgMy thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_1726-jpgMy thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_1703-jpg

2. Thanks Brownie thanked for this post
    Likes TMQ, VISITOR, fly07sti, Thomkirby, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class

Dang...

I would've loved to be there for that one!

I'm currently using the Rupes system and I'm planning to switch over to Griots.

Thanks for posting this, Mike.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

4. Likes VISITOR, PaulMys, Brownie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Dang...

I would've loved to be there for that one!

I'm currently using the Rupes system and I'm planning to switch over to Griots.

Thanks for posting this, Mike.

Tom
    You'll love the BOSS system! Let me know if you have any questions on it!

Mike

6. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, Brownie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live just a few minutes from the Griot's headquarters in Tacoma and I've been there for events and training more times than I can count. But taking Mike's Roadshow class there was a treat. Not only did we get the benefit of Mike's wisdom, we got to hear Jeff Brown (head of Griot's product development) talk about how to use Griot's products.

Both days of the class were great. For me, one of the big benefits was meeting some local area detailers like Firehouse Mike.

Bill

8. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, Brownie liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post

I attended the second day of the Tacoma Roadshow Class on 7-28. It was a small class, 10 of us so I knew there would be A LOT of hands-on time and I was so right.

Overall I'm very happy I made the investment I made to come to this class. I learned quite a few little tips and techniques that I didn't know and am really looking forward to trying them out!

If you get a chance to make to a Roadshow Class or any of Mike's classes do it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!. ....and It's always a good day when you have Mike Phillips washing your truck for you!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for attending the class at Griot's in Tacoma, Washington. It's always a pleasure to put a face to a forum friend.

I just finished un-packing from the California class and next up, packing for the Wisconsin class.

Also - thanks for letting us use your cool truck for the BOSS Foam System session!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class

I had a great two days of learning from Mike, Jeff, and Sam too! I am a hobbyist taking care of my cars and learning both the process, tools, and Griot products was really a treat. GG products are effective and reasonably priced and their team is trying to improve each product. Jeff shared with us that the Boss polish products had over 140-formulas so their chemist was busy thru that major update. Mike is really dedicated to the professional and the novice in sharing his experience to keep us all efficient and ways for the detailer to market their services.

Next to Mike and Jeff, you both created an amazing learning series. Just as we would get the black Mazda shiny you try us a 'oops' and back we went to bring back the shine again. Lastly, the late Saturday wet sanding demo sparked my better judgement and I had to try it on the wife's car. Rock chips needed touch up so I grab paint scratch kit from AutoZone and did my best to mask some of them and left some paint using the method seen on a recent video. Anyway the 2000-grit came out and took care to get the surface back smooth, yet a bit hazed. Next came out the GG Perfecting Cream and Finishing Sealant. Guess what it worked just like your demo at the class. Amazed the wife!

After sanding
    My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_2155-jpg

After polishing.
    My thoughts on the Tacoma, WA / Griot's Garage Roadshow Class-img_2158-jpg

Luckily the hood has lots more rock chips to practice on. And of course, I am having fun in the garage. Thanks Griots!

11. Thanks Brownie thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

I had a great two days of learning from Mike, Jeff, and Sam too!

I am a hobbyist taking care of my cars and learning both the process, tools, and Griot products was really a treat.

Hi Thomas,

It was a pleasure working with you over the course of the two day class. Thank you for the second sentence above, so many people think these classes are ONLY for detailers when that's simply not the case. They are for both detailers and enthusiast.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like it was a great experience! Thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology