autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Mike Phillips, AG, & Lake Country for putting together the 2-Day Roadshow class. Two of the most rewarding days I've ever had learning the art of polishing paint. Yes, it cost me money but I'm certain I'll recoup that and then some with the knowledge that was gained. Planning to work smarter, not harder, and not going to sweat the small stuff.

A customer is bringing in his black F150 tomorrow and I'm actually excited to tackle that black paint. If you're on the fence about taking one of these classes, get off the fence and into the classroom!

My favorite vehicle? Hard to top that F250 and the body lines on that rental car...sick(sarcasm alert). Loved the '39 Chevy, the '68 Dart, and the Van but for my money, it's gotta be the GTO's. Here's the '67 with owner Jesse, a certified IDA detailer...

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017-dsc_5349-jpg

Loved the paint on the Dart too...

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017-dsc_5314-jpg

Some serious coin sitting in the parking lot...

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017-dsc_5308-jpg

Thanks to Dave and the guys at Lake Country. Great facility in which to work. One suggestion if LC hosts another class. Please consider providing a gift bag to each student as a welcoming or parting gift. Whenever I attend a convention, training, or even a chamber of commerce event, I usually get a "swag bag" - a pen or a flashlight with a company logo on it, etc. Perhaps LC could provide a mf towel or a pad or even a backing plate. That student goes home, uses it, likes it and eventually purchases additional items. A win for LC, a win for AG, and a win for the detailer. They get hooked(and looped) on LC products.

Finally, it is worth noting and I may take some heat for this but we're all adults, right? I was disappointed that a few of the students spent the majority of the two days loudly talking to each other WHILE Mike was teaching, instructing, or demonstrating a technique. I lost track of how many times he needed to say "let's bring the focus in". Incredibly rude not only to the teacher but to the other students who paid big money to attend the class. Years ago, a college professor told a group of loud students, including me, that he has yet to find anyone who can learn while THEY are talking. Think about it. You learn by listening, watching, observing, and in the detailing world - by doing. Ask questions during the class? You bet - fire away. BTW, Mike answered every one. Jaw-jacking with your buddy? Do that on your time. A teacher/instructor with a resume, pedigree, and a list of accomplishments like no other detailer that I'm aware of, it seems to me he deserves a student's UNDIVIDED attention. He's earned it!

David B
    Dave's Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Remind me, which 15mm Polisher did you like best?

For me it was a toss-up between the Griots and the Rupes... Since I already own a Griots G15 I'm going to stick with that as my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    I met a lot of very nice genuine people.
    -Al was extremely helpful, my partner for the end of the first day and all the second. I'm 29 and was the second shortest person there, almost outdone by Mikey who's 12! Al was the second tallest man there and a whole foot taller than me, but I digress. Awesome person and want to send a thanks to him as I believe he's on the forums.
    -Really all of the students were a great group of people.

-David(the shortest of the 3 there!)
    I'm humbled by your nice comments David... thank you. You may be short in "stature" but you are big in "character and passion" and that will go a long way toward creating a successful detailing business. Best wishes to you for the future!

Al
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Someday I'll get to one of these

Mike Phillips

Here's the final results for the 1969 GTO Judge.

I took a picture of Yancy driving all the Show cars!

Next up - the 1970 Chevelle 396 SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dig the Ford Econoline Van! Way cool!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Dig the Ford Econoline Van! Way cool!
    My favorite too even though I really liked the orange GTO Judge and the fact that the owner trusted us with this $100.000.00+ dollar car!

Mike Phillips

A little bit about our classes....

We train on 2 cars at a time for each tool set.

A tool set is a specific BRAND and/or TYPE of tool.

Entry Level Orbital Polishers

The first tool set was 8mm free spinning orbital polishers and for this session we used the Griot's Garage 6" Orbital Polishers as these are a great value for your money and also a great tool to learn the craft of machine polishing.

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

1970 Chevelle SS 396 - Training Car - Swirls and Scratches

Besides the 1969 GTO Judge we also used the factory original 396 Big Block SS Chevelle. A Judge and a Chevelle - not bad for WARM-UP cars!

Here's the Chevelle being worked on by this class.

For the 1969 GTO Judge and the 1970 Chevelle we used Pinnacle products including,

Pinnacle Clay Lube
    Pinnacle Advanced Compound
    Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro Foam Pads in Orange - White - Black
    Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads in Orange - White - Black
    Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Carnauba Wax
    Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax
    Clay used was from Mothers

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike,

It was truly an honor and a privilege to attend you course last weekend in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. To see the eloquent, world renowned and most published detailer in action was an incredible experience.

I found your willingness to answer or demonstrate all my questions refreshing and never once did you belittle or scoff at my most basic question.

Initially, I had reservations about spending the money for the course but the 2 days in which I was mentored by you and your years of experience and expertise was worth every single penny.

P.S.
    Yancy thank you for all your instruction and assistance

P.P.S.
    David Patterson and Scott were marvelous hosts with a fantastic facility. I would encourage anyone to attend this 2 day event in Oconomowoc and to use Lake Country pads as they worked flawlessly and worked beyond my expectations.

The thinpro pads were excellent with the standard 8mm DA and the HDO with the long stroke DA superb. I definitely thought better than the Rupes or Griots garage.

George

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by precisionx View Post
    Hello Mike,

It was truly an honor and a privilege to attend you course last weekend in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

Hi George,

It was a pleasure and an honor to both meet and work with you at the class last weekend. We really had some great people and also some really cool cars to train on.

I'm playing a lot of catch-up with office work today and tomorrow off to Orlando, Florida to the Ace Café car show but I'll continue to post the pictures I took with my iPhone on Thursday and Friday and finish getting all the pictures posted by next week.

Thank you for the kind words, I'll be sure to share the link to this thread with Yancy and all the staff at Lake Country.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017

[QUOTE=Mike Phillips;1516835]Remind me, which 15mm Polisher did you like best?

The Griot's Garage Boss G-15 was the smoothest, least vibration, my favorite then the Rupes Big Foot 15 and the worst vibrated the most was the Flex XFE7-15

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast