autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures: Roadshow Class at Waxstock in England!

Pictures: Roadshow Class at Waxstock in England!

There's a LOT of work that goes on behind the scenes to teach our 3-day Competition Ready Detailing Class here at Autogeek.

• We have over 150 tools in the Show Car Garage so up to 25 students can use the specific tool that the class is covering in each dedicated class session.
    • There's are hundreds of clean microfiber towels ready to go.
    • There are HUNDREDS of pads from all manufactures in all sizes ready to go.
    • There is every product needed to run a full-bore, hardcore hands-on class with up to 25 students.
    • Our classroom is wired to have 25 electric polishers plugged in and under load at the same time.
    • There are more then enough heavy duty extension cords and power outlets to easily handle any class.
    • There is a classroom with seating for up to 50 people and a pro grade projector and 102" wide projector screen for the power point presentation.
    • That's just the big things off the top of my head and there's so much more equipment in the Show Car Garage ready to go for our classes like hot water extractors and steam machines etc.
    • We can also turn the air conditioning down to 68 degrees and keep everyone cool on the hottest South Florida summer day.
    • And cars? You bet. Our classes here at Autogeek set the standard for both cool show cars and daily driver cars for both show car detailing and production detailing. And best of all... we have the pictures from all our classes to prove it.

Conducting a hands-on class here at Autogeek is a cinch. Duplicating our class at an offsite location and running it just like we run it here takes dramatically more work and effort and teaching out class OVERSEAS takes even more work, effort and resources to pull it off in the style and standard we demand of our selves and our reputation with the collective car hobby and industry.

So we're very happy to say that the first full bore, hands-on Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing class held in Bishop's Storford, just outside of London, England, in conjunction with the 5th Annual Waxstock was a HUGE success. And we have the pictures and the testimonies to document it.

While it's a little time consuming to sort through the pictures and then process them in a way they can be shared on a discussion forum the benefit is these pictures will be here till most of us are long gone and will be a testimony to our sponsors and everyone that helped with the class and attended the class. These pictures will also help to set the bar for any class, anywhere including our next class.

I'm going to share the pictures in the order they come off the camera as this is also the order that unfolds the story of the first Competition Ready Roadshow Class that took place on Friday, July 22nd.

With that said.... onto the pictures!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from Autogeek's Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class at Waxstock in England!

Location - Location - Location
    We needed a top notch shop to hold this class. We also needed a shop that was large enough to hold our Training Cars, which are ALL genuine Detroit Iron! The shop also must have top notch security system in place for not only the cars but all the tools, pads, products and other equipment that will be at the shop.

Buff Monkey Garage!
    Our host for this class is my new good friend Aki Azemi and his shop the Buff Monkey Garage! This is a purpose built shop specifically for car detailing. This is the back entrance into the shop as this is where the car wash bay is located. As cars are worked on the come in through the back and then travel through to the front. By the time they come out they are shining like diamonds!

This is there light room for show car detailing.

We converted it into our classroom...

Projector for the Power Point Presentation

My good friend pj at Dodo Juice provided the projector. I couldn't bring our portable projector as it's 110 volt and England runs on 220 volt.

This also means all the polishers are 220 volt!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from Autogeek's Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class at Waxstock in England!

Thursday is set-up day!

The class is on Friday, we flew in from Florida on Tuesday and arrived Wednesday morning. After a good night's sleep and adjusting to the time difference, (England is 5 hours ahead of us on the East Coast of the United States), the next day is Thursday and time to head to the Buff Monkey Garage to meet Aki and his team and then start setting up. The training cars will also be arriving today and it's important to me to be there to meet the owners who are trusting in the Autogeek name and my name to leave their prized possession with at this moment - complete strangers!

Here's a shot from early Thursday morning...

You can see the FLEX polishers have arrived and we're busy setting up more tables to hold LOTS more supplies to be delivered and unpacked.

These are BRAND NEW tools by the way that FLEX provided for this class. They asked me to sign each tool after the class, which I did. If you want one of these signed units you can e-mail Stuart Colclough and he can process your order.

Stuart.Colclough@flex-tools.com

Yancy stoled the table you see above holding FLEX tools and turned it into his Tech Station for computers and cameras.

Then as the day progressed we sorted out all the tools, products and microfiber towels in to an order that would follow the flow of the class.

Mike Phillips

Now to share with you all the goodies needed to hold a first class class...

First up... car washing supplies as this class will start out just like I start out the Production Detailing Class I teach here in the states.

Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitts - The GOOD ones that Autogeek sells not the cheapie ones that fall apart. We shipped these to England because I like to show these for what I teach called The Aggressive Method for washing a car.

Here's some super high quality wash mitts - these are for The Gentle Method - that is for washing a car AFTER you've perfected the paint.

Wheel cleaning brushes

5 gallon buckets with traps to help prevent inflicting swirls and scratches from cross contamination when washing body panels.

Ah.... my absolute favorite car washing tool the Autogeek Foam Gun!

pj and Dom from Dodo Juice suppled the high sudsing Apple iFOAM Snow Foam Wash that works excellent in the Autogeek Foam Gun!

Iron Contamination Remover - Ferrous Dueller by Dodo Juice!

Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitts to Mechanically Decontaminate the paint during the washing process.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels - Also to Mechanically Decontaminate the paint during the washing process.

These types of products are not cheap so I share a tip I use to identify which side I'm currently using and which side is been worn out.

More to come!

Mike Phillips

Wet Sanding Tools

As we progress down the line of tables holding all the tools and products the next table after the car wash station is holding all our wet sanding products and tools. I'll be using these for a seminar with Kelly Harris at the Waxstock show on Sunday too....

Here at Autogeek we carry Mirka Abralon foam sanding discs from #500 grit to #4000 grit in both 3" and 6" and also 3M Trizact sanding discs in #3000 and #5000. This higher grit sanding discs are the best choice and the safest choice when machine sanding FACTORY THIN CLEARCOAT paints or refining your hand sanding marks after block sanding by hand.

Pictured below is a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher that I use to teach machine sanding with 3" sanding discs like the Trizact discs from 3M

Pictured below is a Soft Block hand sanding backing pad and a 6" backing plate for machine sanding

Below are foam interface pads in 3" and 6" for machine sanding and above them are 3" and 6" Nanoskin Hand Backing Pads for hand sanding with machine discs.

Meguiar's Finishing Papers - much higher quality than sand paper

3M tape - Blue Vinyl Tape and Green Painter's Tape

Can't work clean and do pro quality work without some pad cleaning tools!

Post Thanks / Like

Could you bring over some of those grit guards, I would like a green and yellow one, ofcoarse, British racing colors. I know they do the same as ours but I like stuff that's different. As long as its $20 or so I would like a green and yellow one if they are available in one of each color, thanks!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

LOTS of high quality microfiber towels

All the best tools and best work in the world don't mean squat if you're using poor quality microfiber towels. So we have a superb collection including some we sent from Autogeek to England and some provided by MotorGeek as well as the Buff Monkey Garage.

One of my favorites and the microfiber towel we use the most at our classes at Autogeek the Gold Plush Junior in 16" x 16"

Plus a variety of flat weave and super plush towels from MotorGeek and Buff Monkey Garage

Another one of my favorites that we use for all the final wiping here at Autogeek the Super Plush Rolled Edge Microfiber Towels.

Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels from Autogeek to dry water off car without scratching.

And if you aren't using microfiber gloves to grip your microfiber towels you're missing out! Courtesy of Autogeek

Microfiber Gloves! - I love the glove!

HUGE THANK YOU to Stewart Linn and his dad Ron Linn from Motorgeek in the U.K. for providing supplies from Motorgeek and for also recieving and transporting all the products we shipped from Autogeek to Motorgeek.

Thank you Stewart!

Mike Phillips

Cool tools like Paint Thickness Gauges!

Mike Phillips

More tools for Mechanical Decontamination!

Here's traditional detailing clay because in our classes you learn to do it the proper and correct way....

And Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

If you've read my book, "How to use the FLEX 3401 you already know what I think about these cool tools!

Mike Phillips

Compounds, Polishes, Waxes, Sealants & Coatings

Products from Wolfgang, Dodo Juice and RUPES

Wolfgang!

Dodo Juice!

RUPES Compounds and Polishes!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast