autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How soon to wax 2015 X3

Wax/sealant/coating refers to the properties of surface protection. Wax is generally natural (carnauba), sealant is synthetic. They are widely varied as to benefits and properties. They last anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months with wax being at the lower end of that spectrum.

Coatings are also synthetic but last much longer and are a little more complicated to apply but you won't have to do it near as often, in some cases, once. It depends on what you're after in the way of looks and longevity and how much time you have to fuss with your car. You have a few months to get familiar with each.

Most people feel wax looks best but it has to be re-applied more often. Sealants and coatings generally don't have the warm look of a good carnauba wax but they last longer so are ultimately less work to keep up. If it's a daily driver, coatings offer the best protection and are the easiest to maintain. Since none of my cars go to shows or competitions, I gave up and Opti Coated them all. I am very happy with the results and it takes about an hour to return them to like new condition. More work on the front end since your paint has to be perfect and surgically clean, but way less work in the long run.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtndriver View Post
    If a 2015 BMW is produced in April and delivered in May is it ok to wax or do I need to wait awhile? Would be using Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Unless I see a need I don't plan to clay or use a gloss enhancing polish. Does this plan sound ok? Other suggestions for a new vehicle? Thanks
    ScotchGaurd your carpets while you're at it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Also a new car's paint is cured, body shop repaints there is a waiting period before it is recommended you wax. Probably varies for companies, but for PPG it is 90 days.

Side Note: if you do wax a repaint however, nothing really happens. Almost like they don't recommend waxing a coating. Not really a big deal if you do.

I thought the whole curing period was for the paint to outgas so it fully hardens and lasts longer? I know you probably know much more about painting and body shops than I do but that's what I heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years I think I'll stick with the Blackfire All Finish twice a year as I had good luck with this on prior cars. Not sure a sealant/coating will benefit me that much but I welcome any arguments pro and con.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some reading to get you started on coatings. I recommend that you do coat the X5. Maybe you have a vehicle that you could first start on to get some experience under your belt. Most coatings are extremely slick and have a self cleaning effect on themselves since hardly anything will stick to it.

How To Apply a Car Paint Coating

I have coated my wife's BMW wagon and will soon coat my BMW. Here is a review on the DP paint coating.
    Review: DP Prep Polish/Paint Coating

If you would like help at any point don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info on coatings, intriguing. The car is not due till May and since it is garaged and I like doing the Blackfire 2-3 times a year I may stick with that routine. Have maintained the paint very well even in the CO mtns with that routine. Hard to say what I would gain if I want to apply the BF twice a year - do not think the shine would be superior. Will continue to research coatings nonetheless. Thnx for links on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the info on coatings, intriguing. The car is not due till May and since it is garaged and I like doing the Blackfire 2-3 times a year I may stick with that routine. Have maintained the paint very well even in the CO mtns with that routine. Hard to say what I would gain if I want to apply the BF twice a year - do not think the shine would be superior. Will continue to research coatings nonetheless. Thnx for links on this.
    Sure thing. Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I don't coat my car...I like to wax it! Congrats on the new BMW!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Since metal seems to be the hardest part to keep from deteriorating I wonder if coating of the wheels and any metal on the car would be worthwhile? Didn't have much problem with my wheels as long as I detailed a few times a year but grill/metal parts always seemed to get away from me due to salt/mag chloride in winter. I've tried various metal protectants and none seem to protect it very well. Not so much metal on the front of the X3 as my Toyto 4Runner.

Post Thanks / Like

All wheels that come from BMW are clear coated just like the paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast