autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Behind the Scenes at My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

Behind the Scenes at My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

AJ, one of the camera crew members at My Classic Car took some random photos and a few short video clips using my iPhone while we were shooting some new shows for 2013 so I stitched them into a short video clip.

Behind the Scenes at My Classic Car
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9NoCAjAo2E&hd=1]Behind the Scenes at My Classic Car - YouTube[/video]

Dennis and crew are great to work with and we had some really sweet cars to work on for the show including Bill's 1966 Nova...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Behind the Scenes at My Classic Car with Dennis Gage

Mike, any old caddy's on deck for a show? That Nova is sweet.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Finemess View Post

Mike, any old caddy's on deck for a show? That Nova is sweet.

I have a few high resolution pictures of the Nova in the studio and I'll post them tomorrow plus another short video clip. As for Cadillacs, we don't have any scheduled for My Classic Car for next year but possibly a future show.

I have a car buddy with a 1948 Cadillac that was previously scheduled to be here for a Thursday Night Live Broadcast but the owner had to cancel. I do plan on trying to reschedule for a future date here at our studio.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Nova. I use to have a 68 in high school.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Very cool Nova. I use to have a 68 in high school.

This one shook the air around it when the engine was running...

Post Thanks / Like

Stand in front of it when he revs it Mike and im sure it would consume you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This one shook the air around it when the engine was running...

You can say that again, Mike. It did sound good didn't it?
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Huge thank you to AJ over at My Classic Car for taking pictures with my trusty, dusty Canon Rebel, it's a bit on the worn-out side but a few pictures came out in focus...

Huge thank you to Max for all he's done for me since coming to Autogeek from Meguiar's. I have a passion for detailing cars and just a strong a passion for showing others and Max saw this in me when he flew me out to teach my Meguiar's class here at Autogeek in 2009 and then afterwards asked me to come work for Autogeek for which I took him up on his offer.

Because of Max I've been able to work with some of the biggest and best names in the TV Car World including one of the guys I admire the most, Dennis Gage. So thank you Max...

These are just random shots AJ took over the course of a full day of shooting 4 new segments for the 2013 season. We'll post the dates for these shows before they air as we get the schedule from My Classic Car.

All the years I buffed out cars, starting early in the morning, finishing late into the day and being dirty, sweaty and tired, I never thought it would lead to someday working with Dennis Gage...

I wrote this article backing 2010 and I think it's just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it...

Do you want to have a career in the car industry?

Here's Dennis in the background helping to organize the display of Pinnacle products to look their best when the camera pans across them. He's the definition of a perfectionist.

The guy to the left holding the camera is AJ... (thanks AJ for all your help that day)

In this shot we're sciencing out where each person will be and then do a dry run for this segment...

Here's John opening the wing window for this segment, I wrote a little article about this here,

Removing the Other Guy's Wax

The guy in the left of this picture is Brian Clark, Cameraman #1

The guy in the back panning across products is John Gerard, Cameraman #2

During lunch break all the lights get turned off to allow them and the room to cool off...

Here I'm showing Dennis the new Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads which we're going to use on Scott's 1966 Corvette...

In-between shots it's fun to talk with Dennis as he's very personable, just like talking to a long time friend...

The first time I demonstrated the "Cruel Master" aka the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light he thought it was pretty cool. When it came time to shoot this segment he used it to light up a patch of scratches so the camera guys could pick them up on camera.

We walked through our lines and we're ready to go...

Dennis has a really good eye for detail and pointed out a piece of lint on the Velcro hook-n-loop so I'm picking it off so it doesn't show up on camera when I switch pads...

After removing the scratches using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with the Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pad I switched over to a 4" white CCS foam polishing pad and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to restore and maximize gloss to the affected area.

After we finished this segment the film crew pushes the Corvette out just to avoid getting exhaust fumes inside the building...

After lunch we moved in Bill's 1966 Nova with a blown Small Block Chevy, this engine was radical...

Nice stance...

The guy in the back adjusting the lights is Mike Seib and he's Grip #1, this guy can do anything and do it fast...

Glass Care Segment
    For this segment we shared how to machine polish glass using Pinnacle Glassworks Water Spot Remover followed by Pinnacle Glasscoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent.

We used a Porter Cable to apply the water spot remover but you can also use it by hand or with a rotary buffer. Afterwards we shared using Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent to maintain clear glass and the repellent coating.

This was the last segment of the day and afterwards we took this picture with my first how-to book. Here's what Dennis said about my book when I asked him for a recommendation...

"Mike really knows his stuff when it comes to detailing and after you read this book, you will too!"

Since I'm e-mailing the link to this thread to Dennis...

Thank you Dennis!
    I had a great time working with you and look forward to working with you more into the future...

Mike Phillips

Here's the crew during a lunch break from our work at MCC last year. Starting with the young man sitting at the front left hand side of the table and going in a clockwise pattern...

Ben Woehler - Producer
    Mike Seib - Grip #1
    Jarod Buente Grip #2 during filming, the rest of the year he's an Animator.
    Dennis Gage
    Max

Moving across the table from Max

Chad Hall - Production Truck Engineer
    Sheila Perkins - Vice President of Sales
    Brian Clark - Camera #1
    John Gerard - Camera #2

Max, Dennis and me...