autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New lighting project finished - PAR 38 - 5000K LED Upgrade

Tony, sweet upgrade. Once again you're a bad influence (or a good one if you let my wife tell it). Looking at your pictures I've just now decided to add lights in my garage. My garage needs sheet rock overhead and lots of finishing work. I'll take pics. soon to show you. My wife has wanted me to do this for some years now and just because I want lights to detail i'm gonna have it done. I should be so lucky that the whole project would cost me 500 bucks. This may very expensive. I have those halogen lights made by Husky and they are 5000 watts. When I think of my electric bill I wince and don't really use them. I think the LED light is the way to go.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great idea i have bee n trying to find lighting for my garage for a long time. I have 2 leds on a stand but i need a lot more that what i have know. I will be looking in to this soon. Lowes has the leds on clearance now time to go pick some up. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Me want. Nice job.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Great idea!

Yeah, when I went to the closest Lowes in October they had one single Utilitech bulb left, on clearance at $28. They now only stock the Sylvania 5000K PAR38 bulbs.
    Yep, I noticed the Sylvania bulbs on the site, but even finding them at my Lowes (in 5000°K) is hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Great job, agreed with second comment / laughed with first, but both relates my thoughts here.

Would you mind taking a look at my 'lighting indecision' thread and give me a 0.02$?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-included.html

Thank you so very much in advance.

Kind Regards.
    Thanks for the comments. Yep, Grow House.... that's us.

I commented just now in your thread btw.

Quote Originally Posted by rms64 View Post

I will be using that one in the future.

Nice job on the new lighting!
    Maybe we could call it StarBrite StarLight Grow House. Might ring up the Space Station and have them give a look see on their next pass.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Looks great in there, have you been contacted about a GA detail day, LOL
    Come to think of it.... I HAVE NOT!
    Sounds like a good idea though, maybe when it warms up a bit.
    Don't see me ever adding AC to the garage, or heat for that matter. But what I *do* get to do is open the door from the kitchen and pump heat/AC from the house with several floor fans to keep it moving around. (Well that and I do have enough portable heaters to keep it warm enough for coatings in the winter.)

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Looking good Tony!
    Thanks brother.

And to think, you got the prelude shots to these.

I'm just glad I know basic electricity. Hiring an electrician would have run a FORTUNE!
    Especially when it came to the 'knockout' on the end of the ceiling fixtures. The size predicated using electrical conduit, threaded, nut on the back. But the outdoor boxes I modified (by drilling a hole in the side) to fit ¾" Sch 40 PVC. The hole in the fixture was WAAAAAAY too small. Took quite a bit of Dremel work, (and 4 different grinding & sanding bits) to get them all the right size. Heck.... I spent $20 just on those darned things!

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Tony, sweet upgrade. Once again you're a bad influence (or a good one if you let my wife tell it). Looking at your pictures I've just now decided to add lights in my garage. My garage needs sheet rock overhead and lots of finishing work. I'll take pics. soon to show you. My wife has wanted me to do this for some years now and just because I want lights to detail i'm gonna have it done. I should be so lucky that the whole project would cost me 500 bucks. This may very expensive. I have those halogen lights made by Husky and they are 5000 watts. When I think of my electric bill I wince and don't really use them. I think the LED light is the way to go.
    I like that, "if you let my wife tell it".

One fixture I don't have yet, but I'll probably get, is a 4' LED fixture. It's a ceiling fixture, runs about $65. I'll hang it on the side of my detailing cart (or one of them) and move it around the vehicle. I've used a regular twin-bulb fluorescent before but it's stupid bulky, and not the right color temp. The little one I saw at Lowes is compact, curved on the face, very thin at the edges, and not but about 8" wide overall.

I have a twin head 1000W halogen, a single head, and the LED work light in one of the first photos. Don't see me not using the halogen EVER again, but it'll be much easier now.

I can't IMAGINE a 5000 watt MONSTER! That's peel skin from 6' away!!!! Holy CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by sayroger View Post
    Thats a great idea i have bee n trying to find lighting for my garage for a long time. I have 2 leds on a stand but i need a lot more that what i have know. I will be looking in to this soon. Lowes has the leds on clearance now time to go pick some up. Thanks
    Just pull up all your local Lowes on the site and you can find which ones have some left. I've found it depends on the real estate prices in the area as to whether or not there are any left, (at least that's the way it looks around my area). Ours only had 4, and 3 to the town just to the north of us. There is a place to the west that was out. The one to the NE was the closest place to have any, think it was 9 (I got 7). Then there was one in Atlanta, not a place that I would be after dark AT ALL, (and I carry TWO side arms) that had 23!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    Me want. Nice job.
    Thanks dude!

Me can fix for ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice upgrade!
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a boatload (about a doz) of these today at my Lowes, same brand, type, $25 a pop.

Still not a cheap bulb, but wouldn't mind grabbing at least two of these, and maybe make a homemade setup like you have, versus the Halogens I have, which I need Coppertone SPF40 on when I use them.

The heat from them in this weather would probably be welcoming in this cooler weather, but of course who's correcting paint when it's in the 40's outside? Not I anyway.

Being an old Midwesterner, I've learned the hard way to do basically all services on my vehicles in and out, oil changes, etc etc "before" the cold really hits.

I then like only doing the occasional wash jobs, vacuuming, check air in tires, and pump gas when it gets colder.

I like the little Plastic Junction Box with Power Switch. Such would be simple to rig on my existing Halogen Light Stand. Lots of interesting little electrical goodies these places have! :-)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    Nice upgrade!
    Thank you sir.
    Never can have too nice a place to keep my lil' Red G35 nice and spiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Seen a boatload (about a doz) of these today at my Lowes, same brand, type, $25 a pop.

Still not a cheap bulb, but wouldn't mind grabbing at least two of these, and maybe make a homemade setup like you have, versus the Halogens I have, which I need Coppertone SPF40 on when I use them.

The heat from them in this weather would probably be welcoming in this cooler weather, but of course who's correcting paint when it's in the 40's outside? Not I anyway.

Being an old Midwesterner, I've learned the hard way to do basically all services on my vehicles in and out, oil changes, etc etc "before" the cold really hits.

I then like only doing the occasional wash jobs, vacuuming, check air in tires, and pump gas when it gets colder.

I like the little Plastic Junction Box with Power Switch. Such would be simple to rig on my existing Halogen Light Stand. Lots of interesting little electrical goodies these places have! :-)
    Tell ya' what Mark.... if you saw a "boatload" then I got a shipload. Wow, at $25 though that's even better. Would have saved me almost another $50.00!

It's amazing what conditions that some will work in. I know I've been hauling and moving lights around more than I want. There's a high priced guy local guy that I've worked with that was doing all his.... in his in-laws garage for years with NO LIGHTS! Just one of those old fashion 8" square carport light fixtures with a couple of 60 watt bulbs in it, (and it wasn't even turned on). He had one rickety twin-head halogen (still does from some of his show-n-shines) that the top bolt was stripped and would fall off if you bumped it. That's all the light he had, period! Between having to put that thing right up against your back, and him not having a floor fan.... I know all about needing SPF40 to keep your skin from falling off.

I actually don't mind correcting paint when it's cooler, enjoy it actually. I really don't like sweating... that's why I have so many floor fans. Which is also how I heat and cool the garage. The biggest problem is getting some products to 'cure', especially coatings.

What I'd like to have is more lighting on the walls, well make that ANY lighting on the walls. I'm not running wires down the walls though to make that happen. That's where my twin & single halogens as well as that $100 LED work light will still get used.

Funny thing about those plastic work boxes. They come with 3 threaded holes, one on each end, one on the back. They are ¾" threads with adaptors for ½", as well as 2 plugs. What they DON'T have is an opening on the side. Which is EXACTLY where I needed it to be! Drilled that one out then took a Dremel to make it fit tight with ¾" PVC tubing. The first one I got a bit too large and the PVC cement wouldn't work. Ended up using silicone caulk on that one, and couldn't even touch it till the next day. I DIDN'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE again. You can actually put a faceplate on them that'd mount 3 flood heads, which I thought about. But that'd meant buying yet another box for the switch and mounting 2 end-to-end. Too much trouble. (But nowhere near as much trouble as all the Dremel work to get the holes just right on the ends of the overhead fixtures in that darned metal.)

Then again, that'd meant I could have put up TWENTY FOUR floods! Me thinks CarMomma would have put her foot down over that one.

You mention doing a rig with just 2 and a switch. That's what got me to thinking about doing this actually. There was a thread a long time ago where a guy did one on a photography lighting tripod and mounted his that way. You could do 2 switches in that same box, run a light out each end, power in the back. It'd be pretty easy. Those tripods are everywhere under $20 too.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool stuff! These lights are awesome, although I find they are more spot prone.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Very cool stuff! These lights are awesome, although I find they are more spot prone.
    Thanks Brandon.

Yep, they are not as wide as say the big square $99 single LED work lights (have some), but they are a great addition to them as well as my regular halogens. My son even gave me another single head floor sitting halogen for Christmas.

For now I only have 12 fired up in the garage, but do have 14 heads (the other two are CFL's for now, been experimenting with a different color temp) and will end up with 16 total heads up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast