autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 batteries in 2 years, any ideas?

I'd have the alternator tested before I kept replacing the battery

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Do a load test on the battery, too, and see if you truly need yet another one.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Get an optima yellow top!

I had a jeep cherokee 12 years ago that had all sorts of things on it ie winch, light bar, cb, etc etc.. I too had a battery drain somewhere down the line. I was buyign cheap batteries from this crap hole auto parts store that had used engine blocks and oily transmission parts all over the place just leaking oil all over the place for 50 bucks a pop. I got tired of replacing the battery and my buddy at 4wheel parts hooked me up with a yellow top and that battery never failed me.

I dont know where you live but crap batteries dont do well when its cold out either. Another thing is where is this battery located? In the trunk or under the hood? Also is it in its original battery tray?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    My car is a 2006 Suzuki
    I think I may have located the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Sounds like your talking about a normal OE drain that is normal for the vehicle. New cars do have a lot of electronic junk on them - but most of it is switched off with the ignition.
    I would blame it on the crap "Delco" battery that came with the car (the second one lasted a little longer than the first) but then there's the dealer saying 2 weeks is too long to leave the car sitting--what are people supposed to do with their new car if they go on vacation for 2 weeks?

I don't want to argue with you but the "normal OE drain" now includes telematics systems trying to talk to the cloud to give you emails telling you what your odometer says and keyless entry systems listening for your fob. I'm not sure that the satellite radio isn't also listening for a push from space to give it the new channels, which it can't get in the garage. I may have contributed by leaving a charger plugged in or a radar detector on, but I go back to the dealer telling me 2 weeks is too long to go without starting the car. Sorry done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I'd have the alternator tested before I kept replacing the battery

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online
    I'll assume this is the first thing that came to everyone's mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that flashlight charger is on the ignition side of the electrical system. If thats charging while the car is off thats way too much drain without the car running. What kinda car is it? can you up grade battery type? Size? Ammount? I had a Chevy Avalanche My Brother has Tahoe they both have a second battery tray I installed a second battery in both deep cycle to counter different problems. Tahoe was weekend car left at a vacation house, Avalanche had a factory problem with battery drain that was a recall, they said a ECU/VCU reflash with new program would fix it which it did not. So I put second deep cycle in never had issue again with dead battery. Had sports car that was garage kept that kept killing its battery if you didn't drive it for 2 weeks did battery 2 times under warranty. Then they got pissy with me about it asked if I lock the car when I park it I said "ummm no its parked inside my garage why the hell would I lock it" they told me if you don't lock their cars its like leaving the key in the accessories position and it will kill the battery. Long story long I still forgot sometimes to lock it killed another battery this time went got my own when I removed the battery noticed the try was 6" wider than the battery did quick research there were 2 batterys same height and depth but wider with a lot more capacity upgraded it to the biggest one and never had problem again.

Post Thanks / Like

As for Optima Batteries, and their reputed long life, I've had them for years, and they too can be just as prone to failure and a short life failing before their time if the vehicle has charging problems, considerable parasitic draw, or is not being driven regularly.

That they too will sometimes not "come back from the dead" if they're kicked in the butt too many times.

Hope you get your problems resolved and let us know what your conclusions were.

As I understand it, and even under optimal conditions for a battery, all of them eventually bite the dust. One product that may help extend their usable lives is a good battery charger, such as perhaps a CTEK, or a Pulsetech like I have which "fully" recharges a battery, and the Pulsetech is also said to de-sulfate the plates while it charges.

Every once and awhile, I'll hook up the Pulsetech on either vehicle to "refresh" the battery for a few hour's time. Usually the Pusetech upon initial hookup only shows 75% charge on either. My Tahoe does have an Optima YellowTop.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know ... an '06 Suzuki, the heart of the problem. The light is hooked up to the battery side of the electrical system, not the ignition side, as it always has been and like I mentioned it has been that way since I bought the car with no problems until a few years ago.

Originally I was going to wire it up to the ignition side ... it would have been easier ... but after my cell phone kept getting drained after a day or two of being plugged in on the ignition side, I didn't want to have a dead flashlight when I might really need one.

I wanted to get an Optima, but finances are tight and I couldn't pull off an expensive (relatively) battery ... although I'm sure the diagnostics the shop is going to run aren't going to be cheap either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    but after my cell phone kept getting drained after a day or two of being plugged in on the ignition side
    Huh?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast