autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Cover Questions

I have a black 2009 Cadillac CTS-V that is my daily driver. I like to keep this car as clean and detailed as I can. So nothing burns me more than spending hours over the weekend detailing my car then to go to work on Monday and have the car covered in an inch of dust when I leave for the day. So my first thought was to buy a nice car cover and cover the car all summer long when it doesnt rain in my garage then at work. So I would take car cover off in the morning, drive to work then put it back on, then at the end of the day take cover off, drive home (10 minutes paved road drive) then wipe car down and put the car cover back on. So I bought the Covercraft Ultratect car cover and did just that. I only had it for 4 days and it hazed scratched the hell out of my car. I contacted Covercraft and they are replacing with their nice car cover the Noah. I am going to have the car completely detailed and remove all the swirls and imperfections and then have it seal with opticoat. After this will my paint be strong enough to use the new car cover or will it continue to scratch the paint. Would I better off just wiping car down with a California Duster instead. Not sure what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Cover Questions

I have the same problem if I drive my car to work. Even in the garage it can get dusty. It takes alot of prep before I put the cover on. A full exterior detail to be more exact. If your using it at work after driving in you may be putting it over a contaminated car.How do you take it off, fold it and store it? Those things are also key. I treat my cover like gold and take care when folding it and storing it. I learned on here to fold it in thirds and roll it up. Fold the sides up to the middle of the car and roll it from hood to trunk. Outside only touches outside and inside only touches inside. Store in large new heavy duty garbage bag. I use a new bag everytime I store it. Good luck
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chosenone View Post
    I have a black 2009 Cadillac CTS-V that is my daily driver. I like to keep this car as clean and detailed as I can. So nothing burns me more than spending hours over the weekend detailing my car then to go to work on Monday and have the car covered in an inch of dust when I leave for the day. So my first thought was to buy a nice car cover and cover the car all summer long when it doesnt rain in my garage then at work. So I would take car cover off in the morning, drive to work then put it back on, then at the end of the day take cover off, drive home (10 minutes paved road drive) then wipe car down and put the car cover back on. So I bought the Covercraft Ultratect car cover and did just that. I only had it for 4 days and it hazed scratched the hell out of my car. I contacted Covercraft and they are replacing with their nice car cover the Noah. I am going to have the car completely detailed and remove all the swirls and imperfections and then have it seal with opticoat. After this will my paint be strong enough to use the new car cover or will it continue to scratch the paint. Would I better off just wiping car down with a California Duster instead. Not sure what to do.
    I hate to say it, but you will soon give up on the car cover idea and just wash over the weekend. What happens when it's really windy? I know it's summer, but what about the rainy season? Are you going to stand in the rain putting it on or removing it? Just try washing it as much as possible. I feel for you, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I hate to say it, but you will soon give up on the car cover idea and just wash over the weekend. What happens when it's really windy? I know it's summer, but what about the rainy season? Are you going to stand in the rain putting it on or removing it? Just try washing it as much as possible. I feel for you, good luck.
    This is true rsurfer . I put mine on for winter storage or when I know the car will sit for a week or so. To use it daily would be tough

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Covercraft NOAH for my 1997 Tahoe. Bought it last year, arounf early october.

I like the cover very much, it was a good investment.

I doubt you're going through 1/10th the dust, and wind issues I go through here, lying up against the Sacramento Mountains, in southern NM.

You wanna get a taste of what this area is like often, just watch Clint's "Fistful of Dollars", or "For a Few Dollars More".

My cover has been virtually 100% waterproof, had one small stitching flaw, but took care of that myself, at the passenger mirror pocket, as it was unraveling.

Dust can get under the cover with high winds, and dusts. That's what will mar paint.

The cover can be hosed down with a garden hose, left to dry, and after an hour or so can be flipped inside out, put back on the car, and the same process can be done again, hose it down, let dry, and after it is dry enough, put it back on the right way on the vehicle.

Takes a few hours, but is relatively easy, and negates the need of running off to the laundermat every other week with the cover.

Any billowing of the cover, due to winds, might be one cause of causing marring of the paint. The gust guards help hold the cover more securely on the vehicle, and help keep dusts, and dirts from geting underneath.

I think you'll like the NOAH! Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I have the Covercraft NOAH for my 1997 Tahoe. Bought it last year, arounf early october.

I like the cover very much, it was a good investment.

I doubt you're going through 1/10th the dust, and wind issues I go through here, lying up against the Sacramento Mountains, in southern NM.

You wanna get a taste of what this area is like often, just watch Clint's "Fistful of Dollars", or "For a Few Dollars More".

My cover has been virtually 100% waterproof, had one small stitching flaw, but took care of that myself, at the passenger mirror pocket, as it was unraveling.

Dust can get under the cover with high winds, and dusts. That's what will mar paint.

The cover can be hosed down with a garden hose, left to dry, and after an hour or so can be flipped inside out, put back on the car, and the same process can be done again, hose it down, let dry, and after it is dry enough, put it back on the right way on the vehicle.

Takes a few hours, but is relatively easy, and negates the need of running off to the laundermat every other week with the cover.

Any billowing of the cover, due to winds, might be one cause of causing marring of the paint. The gust guards help hold the cover more securely on the vehicle, and help keep dusts, and dirts from geting underneath.

I think you'll like the NOAH! Mark
    Good point! Great movies too!

Post Thanks / Like

I am unsure about the Covercraft Ultratech Cover, as I have never seen one to compare to the NOAH Cover, and what the differences of materials are? I know Covercraft states the NOAH uses Kimberly Clark's best material.

I think there's going to be many factors of the degree of benefits, and disadvantages of the use of any cover.

One, it might depend upon your location? Places like Florida aren't so much dust bowls, but there are other climate, and location factors. Blazing Sun, Sap-Pollen, Rain, and perhaps errant little things that happen to be passing by, to rub the finish. Here, it can be things like "tumbling tumbleweeds".

The degree of dusts present, also means not only does the car get dirty quicker, but so will the cover. With my NOAH, and with the high winds, with various dusts we experience here, my cover gets dirty quite quickly in this desert enviornment.

Those dusts and grits usually do not get under the cover in any great degree, but eventually they do. Those dusts (like maybe you had found) can act as abrasives, then the rubbing of the cover, or just the simple actions of removal-installation might cause micro-marring to the finish.

This of course is all compounded by the fact that it is a black vehicle. Having owned a couple black vehicles in my lifetime, the last being an all black brand new 1994 Lincoln Town Car Signature, I am very well aware that there is absolutely nothing on earth that will prevent the vehicle from looking like you haven't done nothing to it for weeks, in a matter of just a few short hours after a total cleaning and detail.

The upsides will be a vehicle that will have much lower interior temps in summer due to the cover sheilding the vehicle against much of the sun's rays.

I lived in Chicago when I owned the Lincoln, and even still, the car was impossible to get into on a hot summer day. Just like an oven. Always had to start the car, and stand outside for a good 5 minutes, while the AC on max brought interior temps down somewhat.

My Tahoe isn't a daily driver, and although a 1997, only has 39K on the odometer. If I had a garage, it would be a garage queen, but only have a carport. In my particular instance, the cover was a wise move, and my only regrets were that I didn't buy one years earlier, as I've been here in NM since 2003.

With the desert sun, the regularity of high winds, and the extreme amounts of dusts due to a very dry desert climate, I feel if I get 3 years of use from my NOAH, I'll be very happy.

About the only other thoughts that come to mind, about perhaps lessening the micro-marring caused by a cover on the vehicle, would be to look into the ultra hard protective coatings, possibly something like CarPro CQuartz.

I believe these are said to offer a better resistance to such.

Hope this helps. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have the car completely detailed and remove all the swirls and imperfections and then have it seal with opticoat.
    After this will my paint be strong enough to use the new car cover or will it continue to scratch the paint.
    Opti-coat will probably assist in keeping any further
    "car-cover-caused-scratches" from scratching the paint...
    But that doesn't entirely mean that the Opti-coat will be so fortunate.

Would I better off just wiping car down with a California Duster instead.
    Some folks use the California Duster...I don't. And wouldn't.
    Especially on a black car.

Speaking of which:
    Nice DD!!

Car Covers:
    I only use them under such specialized-occasions, as have been
    stated by hoyt66 in his above posts, for example.
    Never outdoors.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Opti-coat will probably assist in keeping any further
    "car-cover-caused-scratches" from scratching the paint...
    But that doesn't entirely mean that the Opti-coat will be so fortunate.

Some folks use the California Duster...I don't. And wouldn't.
    Especially on a black car.

Speaking of which:
    Nice DD!!

Car Covers:
    I only use them under such specialized-occasions, as have been
    stated by hoyt66 in his above posts, for example.
    Never outdoors.

Bob
    Not sure why anyone would say "never outdoors". I can understand for a daily driver, and those who have a garage, a cover might seem excessive, unless it is needed where one travels to (work-etc) for a number of reasons, such as construction, or a harmful enviornment.

I will agree that an improper type cover, an indoor cover, used as an outdoor cover can most likely do more damage, than good, if they trap moisture between the vehicle, and the cover. My Covercraft NOAH seems to be highly water resistant, yet breathes, and although I'm living in a drought stricken enviornment lately, when I hose the cover down to clean while on the vehicle, I have never seen evidence of trapped moisture.

For medium, or long term storage outdoors, an outdoor cover can both offer protection against the elements, as well as errant mishaps, such as children playing with balls, rocks, etc.

Agred for perhaps a daily driver, and for those who have a garage, a cover does seem more like an inconvenience, and might be excessive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Not sure why anyone would say "never outdoors".
    Too much beating and banging from the wind!
    And the contaminates it brings along with it.

Also...
    From the picture of your avatar (Tahoe):

I can only ascertain it isn't completely "outdoors".
    Therefore, IMO...Your above point is moot.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast