autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loss of pressure with my new pressure washer hose

Quote Originally Posted by CaveRacing View Post
    Oh wow. Frankly, I didn't even realize there were two different ones. My local Lowes had the 3100psi in stock. I bought online and just picked it up, actually.

I like the blue hawk because it looks and feels exactly like the Simpson, only with the proper specifications. While it is only 30', I really don't think I have a need for 50'. I'd be willing to bet it is made by Simpson (or by whoever makes the Simpson. It has a nice feel, is light, and also has quality bend restrictors. Overall, it should be quality hose.
    Thanks. I hope you used a 10% off coupon. I ended up saving $4.

I washed 3 cars yesterday and even though the 50' was long enough, it was maybe too long and coiled up. I would connect the SJ hose if I need more reach if I needed but no adapters work with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iazybandit View Post
    Thanks. I hope you used a 10% off coupon. I ended up saving $4.

I washed 3 cars yesterday and even though the 50' was long enough, it was maybe too long and coiled up. I would connect the SJ hose if I need more reach if I needed but no adapters work with it.
    I did!! It took a couple of tries to get the coupon code to work (I outing numbers in place of the Xs), but yessir!

I'm with you. When I was using the 50', I kept some of it out of the way to make it easier to use. 50' was just a little too long for my needs.

The adapter that comes with the blue hawk should work to connect the original hose to it. It is just an M22 male/male extension adapter.
    - Lee

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did!! It took a couple of tries to get the coupon code to work (I outing numbers in place of the Xs), but yessir!

I'm with you. When I was using the 50', I kept some of it out of the way to make it easier to use. 50' was just a little too long for my needs.

The adapter that comes with the blue hawk should work to connect the original hose to it. It is just an M22 male/male extension adapter.
    For whatever reason, the piece in the original hose is a bit wide and won't fit the openings of the M22 adapters. Didn't fit the Home Depot M22 quick disconnects or the adapter that came with the Apache.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. That's odd. Well, with the blue hawk, you could always pick up a another 25' or 30' and connect the two together.

And I just read my previous post. I have no idea how "putting numbers in place..." turned into "I outing numbers..." Ugh. I should've proofread! HA!
    - Lee

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. That's odd. Well, with the blue hawk, you could always pick up a another 25' or 30' and connect the two together.

And I just read my previous post. I have no idea how "putting numbers in place..." turned into "I outing numbers..." Ugh. I should've proofread! HA!
    So I picked up the hose. Quality seems better whereas the Apache was more rubbery. 30' is the perfect length.

The hose adapter that came with the blue hawk actually fits the original hose. The adapter has 15mm on one end and 14mm on the other (it's marked). So I'm able to extend if I need to.

Buying another 25-30' would go back to losing pressure. Not to mention cost more than the 50'.

Post Thanks / Like

While I haven't compared a 30' to a 50' (both 1/4" diam), I'm not sure there would be a noticeable loss of pressure. I believe the loss for me was mainly due to the larger diameter. When that was coupled with the longer length, it was probably even more significant.

A buddy of mine sometimes uses a 25' and other times uses two 25' hoses. He said there's no noticeable difference in pressure.

I'm glad you like the 30' blue hawk. I think you and I are in good shape now!
    - Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Just had this conversation with someone and we arrived at the conclusion that it all comes down to the tip. The rest is a vacuum that will build until you pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

So get this - In this thread, we discussed a longer hose for the SunJoe SPX3000. I gave my opinion of a hose I recently bought, the Simpson 50' 5/16" (inside) diameter hose. It's a great hose. It doesn't kink, it isn't heavy, and it got great reviews. Some others here have even purchased it on my recommendation.

Well... when I first connected it to my Greenworks 1500psi PW, I noticed that the motor would run for just a second or two longer when the machine was powered on or when releasing the trigger. Also, when I pulled the trigger, it would take juuuust a second or so longer for the spray to flow. What was different? Before, whenever I released the trigger, the motor would immediately stop. When I pulled the trigger, it would immediately spray. Oh, the old hose was a 1/4" diameter 30' thermoplastic Briggs & Stratton branded hose. I don't much care for the thermoplastic. It is hard, gets brittle, yada yada yada. It was just like the cheap hose that comes with all of these machines, only longer. Hence, the new hose.

Ok, so my PW was having some funky issues anyway, so I didn't think much about these changes when I installed and used the new hose. Today, however, I decided to connect the old hose to see what would happen. Yep, it made it a difference. The reaction of the motor when I pull/release the trigger is much quicker AND the pressure was drastically improved! My little Greenworks machine is back to normal!

I know that the length of the hose can make a difference in pressure, but the difference in 30' and 50' is minimal when it comes to pressure loss. I mean, we're talking about a few PSI... nothing to really notice. The difference, however, is in the diameter of the hose. Apparently, going from 1/4" to 5/16" inside diameter DOES make significant difference in the performance of the pressure washer. BAH!!

I read some postings where people suggested upping the inside diameter if you're going to extend the length. So that's what I did with this Simpson hose. NOOOOO! And today, as I was reverting back to the old hose, it dawned on me that pressure increases as the diameter decreases. So what I effectively did with the new hose was decrease pressure by enlarging the inside diameter AND by lengthening the hose (albeit a negligible difference, I'm sure).

Since I like the material of the Simpson 5/16" hose, I found a 1/4" version at Lowes. At least, it looks and feels exactly the same, has the same "Morflex technology," but is branded BlueHawk. That's for Lowes. So I'll likely get this one. There aren't many 50' 1/4" QUALITY hoses to choose from, so this is probably the best bet.

So for anyone that is using a similar pressure washer (electric, cold water, 1500-2000psi), I'd suggest sticking with a 1/4" hose to maintain optimum performance.

Anyone need a virtually new Simpson 50' 5/16" diameter pressure washer hose?

Thanks for reading!
    The pressure doesnt change its the volume of water. It doesnt matter pressure wise what size pipe its in.

Post Thanks / Like

Loss of pressure with my new pressure washer hose

So here’s a question, I have a 3200PSI 2.8 GPM Simpson gas washer.
    Should I use 3/8’s or use 1/4?
    I have 100 feet of both so I’ll sell whichever I should not need.
    What do you guys think?
    Danny

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DScherer14 View Post
    So here’s a question, I have a 3200PSI 2.8 GPM Simpson gas washer.
    Should I use 3/8’s or use 1/4?
    I have 100 feet of both so I’ll sell whichever I should not need.
    What do you guys think?
    Danny

Sent from my iPhone
    You prob have to read the manual if u don't know what size it came with

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast