autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Speedy Prep Sponge or towel (FINE) grade.
    I use Iron-X (Lemon Scent) then a Nanoskin Speedy Prep.
    I rarely use a clay bar any more.
    Used Iron-X Lemon for the first time earlier this summer...I think claying with the SpeedyPrep Fine Sponge literally took 5 min, if that. Iron-X makes a huge difference.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody have a speed selection to respective RPM conversion for the Harbor Freight variable DA buffer?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if there are any RPM conversions out there, but I typically use the same recommended speeds people recommend for Porter Cable units. Those machines seem to have a 1-6 speed scale as well, and by using the same speeds I've been very successful so far.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I don't know if there are any RPM conversions out there, but I typically use the same recommended speeds people recommend for Porter Cable units. Those machines seem to have a 1-6 speed scale as well, and by using the same speeds I've been very successful so far.

I purchased a Meguiars DA microfiber correction system kit and it mentioned setting RPM. I was guessing when I used it lol. I looked at the RPM range HF listed in their instructions and kinda guess what number would achieve a given RPM. It would be nice to know for sure. Could I use an RPM scope to find out? I could make a mark on my pad, like many do to tell if the pad is spinning. Does that seem logical?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I purchased a Meguiars DA microfiber correction system kit and it mentioned setting RPM. I was guessing when I used it lol. I looked at the RPM range HF listed in their instructions and kinda guess what number would achieve a given RPM. It would be nice to know for sure. Could I use an RPM scope to find out? I could make a mark on my pad, like many do to tell if the pad is spinning. Does that seem logical?
    You might be over complicating things here. I don't use the MF pads, but there may be some discussions on this board where members have discussed what settings they used for the DA's and just go with that rather than getting too wrapped trying to calculate RPM.

Looking at the HF, the Porter Cable, and the Meguiars DA's, I don't see any of them with an RPM scale like a rotary polisher. They all seem to have a simple 1-5 or 1-6 scale.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You might be over complicating things here. I don't use the MF pads, but there may be some discussions on this board where members have discussed what settings they used for the DA's and just go with that rather than getting too wrapped trying to calculate RPM.

Looking at the HF, the Porter Cable, and the Meguiars DA's, I don't see any of them with an RPM scale like a rotary polisher. They all seem to have a simple 1-5 or 1-6 scale.

That's what was so confusing. I've seen so many "set your DA to # blah" for this and the kit was talking RPM lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure this is known by many, but it surprised me. I used a 4” pad setup on my Harbor Freight polisher and it does much better with the smaller, lighter pads. I used Adam’s Polishes pads and a backing plate. The 6” pads I was using didn’t allow for much pressure at all before it would lose its spin motion. I might pickup a 5” set from somebody and see how they perform with it on my wife’s Envoy.

IG: @ab_mach1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I’m sure this is known by many, but it surprised me. I used a 4” pad setup on my Harbor Freight polisher and it does much better with the smaller, lighter pads. I used Adam’s Polishes pads and a backing plate. The 6” pads I was using didn’t allow for much pressure at all before it would lose its spin motion. I might pickup a 5” set from somebody and see how they perform with it on my wife’s Envoy.

IG: @ab_mach1
    5" is definitely the way to go on that machine. The thin pads tend to work better also.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

9. Likes KBsToy, Azure liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123