autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Polisher

Hey! Sorry I missed this thread. I just went through what your going through!

I purchased a HF DA and I needed supplies. First thing I got was a 5" Backing plate.
    Then I went on to spend $150+ Be prepared...

I don't want to give you any tips since i'm going to be starting tomorrow.. Never actually did a car. However if you want to know what I got as a beginner I can try and help. PM me.

As to your question on what product to use to get the spiderweb scratches out.... You'll get a million opinions. I myself cannot tell from experience but I can tell you from the 300+ reviews I've watched and read. PM me.

I went for the best brands at a budget. Except the clay kit I got xD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMcWilliams View Post
    Is it common to need all those pads to polish a car? Would I run through all 6 in any given polish?
    You will easily run thru 3 per compounding/polishing step. Some would even say 6; it depends on how easily your pads get cleaned on the fly & the size of the vehicle. It also depends on whether you plan on correcting the whole car in one day. Personally, I have to break my wife's Pilot up into 2-3 days so I don't need anymore than 3 pads/step in a sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DaneMcWilliams View Post
    I don't consider it to be needing extreme paint correction but what products should I use with these new pads. I know I can read how-to's and do my own research but I need the expert opinion based on my truck's paint job. Thanks again!
    Since this is your first rodeo, I strongly recommend using Megs Ultimate Compound for your compounding step and Megs Ultimate Polish for the polishing step (if need-be). They have a long working time, barely any dusting, and can be found at your local Wal-Mart if you need to grab more on the fly. Megs UC finishes very well so you might not even need the UP.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyfella View Post
    Hey! Sorry I missed this thread. I just went through what your going through!

I purchased a HF DA and I needed supplies. First thing I got was a 5" Backing plate.
    Then I went on to spend $150+ Be prepared...
    I suppose it's a good thing I saved some money on the DA! Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    You will easily run thru 3 per compounding/polishing step. Some would even say 6; it depends on how easily your pads get cleaned on the fly & the size of the vehicle. It also depends on whether you plan on correcting the whole car in one day. Personally, I have to break my wife's Pilot up into 2-3 days so I don't need anymore than 3 pads/step in a sitting.

Since this is your first rodeo, I strongly recommend using Megs Ultimate Compound for your compounding step and Megs Ultimate Polish for the polishing step (if need-be). They have a long working time, barely any dusting, and can be found at your local Wal-Mart if you need to grab more on the fly. Megs UC finishes very well so you might not even need the UP.
    Clicking over to that section of AG right now, thanks! I'll definitely consider breaking up the polishing over a few days. I'm sure you're right about that especially considering that my F150 has more surface area, might be a beating! Thanks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked one of these up today. Wanted something to learn on without spending too much. Used the 20% coupon which lowered the price. Walked out the door with it for $47.73, decided against the extend warranty.

Now just need to do all the mods I have seen on this great forum and order the five inch backplate.

Post Thanks / Like
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    (other stuff)

When I grabbed my HF polisher I also grabbed good sized bottle of the Meg's 205 while I was there. I already had some Ultimate Compund and CDoT is right, the UC is great stuff, I can only imagine the UP is as well. For your daily driver needs that will do a great job.

Be sure to look around for threads on cleaning pads and also cleaning them on the fly. A quick clean with a older towel and/or a brush will get you a long way. and when you are done for the day give them a nice soak and clean, spin them dry and they will ready to go.

Don't skip the decontamination steps either. A store bought 20 dollar clay kit will do wonders for getting off that old grime before you start machine polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Blackie View Post
    Don't skip the decontamination steps either. A store bought 20 dollar clay kit will do wonders for getting off that old grime before you start machine polishing.
    I'm a big fan of the Speedy Prep Sponge or towel (FINE) grade.
    I use Iron-X (Lemon Scent) then a Nanoskin Speedy Prep.
    I rarely use a clay bar any more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast