autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Cordless DA Review

Ok so I have to admit, when I saw Griot's announce this, I jumped on it and ordered one. I've been waiting for someone to come out with a cordless LSP applicator.

So after using it a couple of times, here is my honest feedback:

Pros:

Convenient. I can take this with me to a car meet or show, and apply a wax or sealant with the speed of a DA anywhere.

Battery lasts more than enough for one whole vehicle when using it for its intended purpose, which is spreading a LSP.

It does what it advertises - spreads your LSP thin and makes it convenient to do after a wash without having to break out the extension cord and buffer.

Cons:

Awkward to hold. I found it difficult to hold because the handle "knob" at the top of the unit is so small while the pad itself is easily 3x the diameter. It makes it tiresome to hold, because you really have to grip it tighter to control

It's heavy. I understand that with a battery it is going to be heavier than something without - but this tends to make the above point (awkward to hold) that much more apparent. It is definitely heavier than it looks.

It spins a bit too fast/powerful/noisy than it needs to. This causes ALOT of vibrations and I got the classic numb arm after using it for a few minutes, the same one you get from using a PC7424 or Flex 3401.

It's expensive. For what it does I did not expect $239. To me, it should honestly cost somewhere in the $89 - $119 range. That's almost double the price of a Griot's 6" DA for weakened cordless convenience.

Needless to say, I returned mine. I love the concept, but way overpriced for what it does. It also needs to be redesigned. Put this unit's internals into the Griot's 3" DA casing and you will have a unit that is alot easier to hold and handle, then drop the price $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Cordless DA Review

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaJae View Post
    Ok so I have to admit, when I saw Griot's announce this, I jumped on it and ordered one. I've been waiting for someone to come out with a cordless LSP applicator.

So after using it a couple of times, here is my honest feedback:

Pros:

Convenient. I can take this with me to a car meet or show, and apply a wax or sealant with the speed of a DA anywhere.

Battery lasts more than enough for one whole vehicle when using it for its intended purpose, which is spreading a LSP.

It does what it advertises - spreads your LSP thin and makes it convenient to do after a wash without having to break out the extension cord and buffer.

Cons:

Awkward to hold. I found it difficult to hold because the handle "knob" at the top of the unit is so small while the pad itself is easily 3x the diameter. It makes it tiresome to hold, because you really have to grip it tighter to control

It's heavy. I understand that with a battery it is going to be heavier than something without - but this tends to make the above point (awkward to hold) that much more apparent. It is definitely heavier than it looks.

It spins a bit too fast/powerful/noisy than it needs to. This causes ALOT of vibrations and I got the classic numb arm after using it for a few minutes, the same one you get from using a PC7424 or Flex 3401.

It's expensive. For what it does I did not expect $239. To me, it should honestly cost somewhere in the $89 - $119 range. That's almost double the price of a Griot's 6" DA for weakened cordless convenience.

Needless to say, I returned mine. I love the concept, but way overpriced for what it does. It also needs to be redesigned. Put this unit's internals into the Griot's 3" DA casing and you will have a unit that is alot easier to hold and handle, then drop the price $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! Nice one. Yeah, the cons seem to outweigh the pros, not good.

Mike Phillips

Here's my take...

It does exactly what Griot's says it will do and that's apply a coat of wax or sealant without having to hassle with any electric extension cords.

A single battery holds enough charge to machine wax a full size truck and then some...

It's really best for applying a finishing wax or a finishing sealant to paint already in new or excellent condition. Remember, a finishing wax or a finishing sealant are both products that don't offer any cleaning or abrading ability.

I think a person could use it successfully with a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant for daily drivers that are regularly waxed and when using a light cleaning cleaner/wax.

I don't have anything to say about the price except for as long as I've been posting to forums I've seen people asking for and sometimes even begging for a cordless dual action polisher.

I remember my first laptop from Hewlett-Packard didn't have anyway to input data or connect to the Internet and it had a black and white screen interface but hey... I wanted a laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's my take...

It does exactly what Griot's says it will do and that's apply a coat of wax or sealant without having to hassle with any electric extension cords.

A single battery holds enough charge to machine wax a full size truck and then some...

It's really best for applying a finishing wax or a finishing sealant to paint already in new or excellent condition. Remember, a finishing wax or a finishing sealant are both products that don't offer any cleaning or abrading ability.

I think a person could use it successfully with a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant for daily drivers that are regularly waxed and when using a light cleaning cleaner/wax.

I don't have anything to say about the price except for as long as I've been posting to forums I've seen people asking for and sometimes even begging for a cordless dual action polisher.

I remember my first laptop from Hewlett-Packard didn't have anyway to input data or connect to the Internet and it had a black and white screen interface but hey... I wanted a laptop.

I got one better Mike when VCR`s first came out and they just fit on top of your TV I wanted a VCR Beta / VHS

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO!! I remember when I used a computer we had to punch holes in a punch card to program the computer. I remember the 1st calculator I bought too. Instead of the normal 8 digit in a typical calculator it was 6 digits!! It cost $75 too!! 8-track Stereo and cassette was in!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    LMAO!! I remember when I used a computer we had to punch holes in a punch card to program the computer. I remember the 1st calculator I bought too. Instead of the normal 8 digit in a typical calculator it was 6 digits!! It cost $75 too!! 8-track Stereo and cassette was in!!

Maybe that's why we are senior members here on AG we remember the old times