autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

newbie looking for some advice

hi all i am i newbie out of new york, i have been lurking around a couple months now.i have never did any detailing before, it has been something i want to learn and start something with my life. i have done lots of research and people seem to say rupes is the way to go. i know some might say i should start off with a griot garage polisher or a pc, the thing is i rather spend that money once on a better machine. so my issue is should i buy the rupes LHR12e or get the 21mm with the 5inch backing plate? thanks for the help

here is a list of some goodies i have purchased on black friday:

- optimum no rinse
    - nanoskin towel, sponge foam pads
    - sonic carnaubavore wax
    - menzerna FG400 and SF4500
    - sonax net shield
    - black label surface cleansing polish
    - carpro ironX
    - mircofiber towels
    - chemical guys car wash soap. ( glossworkz, citrus wash, honeydew snow foam)
    - chemical guys snow foam cannon.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is, if you go Rupes, you will likely need 2 machines. One for 5"+ pads (Duetto / 15 / 21) and one for sub-5" pads (Mini). If you go Griots, all pad sizes up to 6.5" can be used with one machine (you will need the appropriate BPs). So, Rupes may be a hefty initial investment. I'm not saying it's not worth it, because it is.

However, there isn't much a Rupes can do that a Griots 6" can't do in the right hands. So, now you talking $150 for a GG6 - or $700 for Rupes machines. The Griots comes with a no hassle LIFETIME warranty. Rupes - 1 year I believe.

If your going Rupes and doing this for a business I think the 21 & a Mini may be your best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: newbie looking for some advice

Go for the GG. I started out with a PC but when i used the GG it didn't bounce as much as the GG. Since then i moved on to a Flex.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like
    If your wanting the Rupes then I say go for it.
    As for the GG6 is concerned it has done more than I thought it could.
    I've corrected some of the worst paints with it with outstanding results.
    Have my rotary too.
    That being said I too usually buy the best tool the first time because I know how I am in that I'll spend more money down the road if I buy second best.

I've never used a Rupes but love what it can do for you with it's massive throw.
    The throw is its best feature IMO even though I never had one in my hands.

You won't regret by buying the Rupes.
    Get it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

get a CG and a mikita 9227 or cheaper rotary.

there are always going to be jobs a rotary makes very short work of.

Even with a good DA & pad/product choices, a rotary has its place.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm thinking about getting the 21mm with the 5inch backing plate, rupes blue, white and a microfiber pad. I am also thinking about the griot garage 3 inch kit with a two pack of microfiber pads, am I missing anything ? I plan on ordering this before 12 so I get the 15%and free shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to briefly chime in if I may...first, you can't go wrong with either machine, but you should consider the warranty of both the Rupes and GG. Rupes only comes with a one year warranty, while the GG comes with a lifetime warranty. I have first hand experience with GG and their customer service as my 2nd gen GG6 broke. I contacted then, sent the polisher in and a week later I received the 3rd gen GG6. Can't beat that!

Like others have said, the GG6 is very versatile. I have a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and a 3" backing plate for 4.5" pads.

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJW Detailing View Post
    I'd just like to briefly chime in if I may...first, you can't go wrong with either machine, but you should consider the warranty of both the Rupes and GG. Rupes only comes with a one year warranty, while the GG comes with a lifetime warranty. I have first hand experience with GG and their customer service as my 2nd gen GG6 broke. I contacted then, sent the polisher in and a week later I received the 3rd gen GG6. Can't beat that!

Like others have said, the GG6 is very versatile. I have a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and a 3" backing plate for 4.5" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Some of these recommendations are pretty extreme for someone who is just starting out. I'd say let him grow at his own pace. He has some great products. I'd start with a PC 7424xp or on the cheap a Harbor Freights DA machine.
    Then after a period of time if he wants to move further, deeper, into detailing do it after some experience, don't jump into the deep water right off the bat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    Wow. Some of these recommendations are pretty extreme for someone who is just starting out. I'd say let him grow at his own pace. He has some great products. I'd start with a PC 7424xp or on the cheap a Harbor Freights DA machine.
    Then after a period of time if he wants to move further, deeper, into detailing do it after some experience, don't jump into the deep water right off the bat.
    The PC is a great machine, but the nominal price difference between the PC and GG6' make this an easy decision. The GG6 is perfect for individuals new to detailing and the professionals.

Click through the pages of KJW Detailing and follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast