autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Drop lights and work lights

Hey guys I've been looking for a good drop light that puts out decent light but doesn't heat up. Maybe l.e.d. I'll be using this drop light for interior work only. I don't currently have a shop or garage so my buddy lets me use his shop as greatful as I am that he lets me use his shop his lighting isn't adequate enough to light up interiors or to do proper paint corrections. I was thinking a double headed stand with two 500 watt lamps. I understand it's going to put out a ton of heat which is ok for the winter months but will that be good enough light to see swirls or any other defects? I'm currently borrowing a stand with two 500 watt lamps I'll be trying them out for the first time tomorrow. I'm just looking for a little advice on some other options if there are any for future reference. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drop lights and work lights

They make corded flourescent and LED lights that might work. Also, there are clamp-on lights that might serve your purpose, but you'll have to wrap the clamps with foam to prevent scratching.

I just got the thought that you could put one of those clothes hanger bars on the hooks in the back, and hang the corded light from that.

Hope this gives you an idea of something that will work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Best Price on ATD Tools 80351 Work Light at ToolPan.com

These are the best interior lights i have ever used

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at some led clamp lights and I don't think the ones I saw will put out enough light. The last vehicle I detailed at his shop that included interior would I had to use my buddies drop light. He has one of the old school ones that's basically a bulb with a cage around it. It put out the amount of light I needed it too but it got much too hot after a while and I had to keep shutting it off here and there. Because it was too hit and I had it hooked up to the hanger hooks I didn't want to do any damage to the plastic with the heat. Could you share a link so I know exactly which lights you are talking about? The ones I come across look like desk lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you run that light across the ceiling from door jamb to door jamb? Do you pad the hooks or are the ones on it good?

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought this one form Home Depot work great for interior.
    Husky 5 ft. 800-Lumen Portable LED Work Light-K40010 at The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

That's light looks funny lol. It almost looks like a space heater in the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Just bought this one form Home Depot work great for interior.
    Husky 5 ft. 800-Lumen Portable LED Work Light-K40010 at The Home Depot
    I use this light for interior detailing as well. Works great and nowhere near being too big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use a standard 200 watt bulb on an adjustable tripod for now. I believe it was an old photography light fixture. Although it isn't perfect, it definitely helps.

Not to hijack the thread but I too find it hard to see around in interiors with dark colors. I do have adequate light on the ceiling (tilted, hanging lights) but I find it hard to penetrate inside the car. How many of you use a headlamp for interior work that way the light is directed exactly where you want it? Just curious. I have seen some people on here use headlamps for paint correction work as a hands free swirl finder light. If so, what brand and model do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread from Autopia Forums has some excellent ideas for garage lighting in general, but further down in the thread there are some posts of specific task lighting using single diode flood bulbs from HD or Lowes with a photography stand--either double of single. These single diode bulbs do a fantastic job of showing marring in the paint and make excellent spot lighting while polishing with no heat.

Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there... - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast