autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a high quality air compressor

I'm looking to buy a high quality air compressor for my mobile operation. 4-6 gallon 150 psi. I have went through a few of the cheap ones in one year. I'm not as familiar with who makes the best and why, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a high quality air compressor

I am in the market for a new compressor to,I would be interested to hear any suggestions also. I have been using the large compressor from Home Depot for the last 5-6 years. It has worked perfectly,but always wondered if there is anything better out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much any made by ingersoll Rand is really good. Oilless compressors usually have a shorter life span than oiled.

Compressors to me are more about cfm than pressure or size. Any above 6 cfm @ 90 psi will work most air tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking for a portable one?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're really looking for high quality check out the Quincy line at Northern Tool. Quincy is competing with Ingersol Rand. Ingersol Rand has been the top quality compressor for decades so if you're competing with them you have to have top quality. With top quality comes top price though.

Any oil-less compressor is going to wear out in quick time if you use it more than just every once in a while so I'd suggest stepping up a little and going with a cast iron unit. Problem is that the cast iron units tend to start at around 20 gallon sizes. The size that you are looking for pretty much limits you to cheap compressors that fall in well below the high quality mark.

I'd suggest stepping up to something like this

FREE SHIPPING — Quincy Single-Stage Air Compressor — 2 HP, 26-Gallon Vertical Tank, Model# Q12126VP | 2 - 9 CFM Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I was going to recommend Dave. 20 gallon will serve you very well for lots of jobs. Its not quite as portable as a 6 gallon 2 HP model.

I had a 2 gallon, 6 HP Porter cable for about 5 years. It did most what I asked until I bought a tornador.

If you do buy one of the smaller ones from HD or Lowes, just purchase the 2 year replacement plan. If you change it out every year, just repurchase the extended warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out California Air Tools - Best compressor I've ever owned, hands down.

California Air Tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to recommend Dave. 20 gallon will serve you very well for lots of jobs. Its not quite as portable as a 6 gallon 2 HP model.

I had a 2 gallon, 6 HP Porter cable for about 5 years. It did most what I asked until I bought a tornador.

If you do buy one of the smaller ones from HD or Lowes, just purchase the 2 year replacement plan. If you change it out every year, just repurchase the extended warranty.

We all see these air compressors at the big box stores and home improvement stores etc. but what most don't realize is that they are all china made "throw aways" or "replace the pump" units. When you get into real high quality units, you typically get a replacement parts list that is actually useful as in available made in America parts, and the price pretty much quadruples for real high quality compressors.

In a business setting where you actually use your air compressor daily, once you go American made you never go back to throw away units unless it's just for a temporary use while your high quality unit is being serviced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joz132 View Post
    Check out California Air Tools - Best compressor I've ever owned, hands down.

California Air Tools
    Wow!! Those compressors are in an entirely different league than most others. The comment I made above about oil-less compressors will not apply to these units.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast