autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Chirping Sound in 3401 Flex Polisher

I have noticed a chirping sound coming from my Flex 3401 polisher that I haven’t heard before. The sound is heard when I first start using it and after a while the sound goes away. Any idea what this could be. The polisher is about 1-1/2 years old and I have only buffed out about 5 vehicles.

I took the backing plate off and it is still making the chirping/squeaking noise. The noise is not too loud but I never heard it before.

Here's a link to the diagram of the parts:

http://www.powerhousetoolparts.com/s.../XC3401VRG.pdf

I took off the Lower Eccentric Housing (322164) and the gear housing is well lubricated and still has plenty of grease from the factory. I tried running it without the housing and it was very quiet and smooth. The sound must be coming from the parts in the LE Housing. It seems to go away when I run it in full speed for more than a minute. When I let it sit for a while is when I hear the chirping/squeaking sound at a low setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chirping Sound in 3401 Flex Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by fosaladrigas View Post
    The sound must be coming from the parts in the LE Housing.
    I really don't see any parts within LE Housing assembly that you could possibly do away with...
    Not even the: "Ausgleichsgewicht unten" (part# 322.156).

-Sometimes bearings (even "sealed" bearings) will emit a chirping sound (i.e. a race getting ready to fail).
    -Any undo amount of "parts-rubbing" may be resonated through the LE Housing assembly as a chirping sound.

Quote Originally Posted by fosaladrigas View Post
    It seems to go away when I run it in full speed for more than a minute. When I let it sit for a while is when I hear the chirping/squeaking sound at a low setting.

The chirping noise is out of some Human-being's hearing-range...at full speed...

If you lack the temerity; or you are experiencing apprehension to the point of it seeming to be unnatural...
    I suggest to call upon a Flex repair facility...before continuing to use the 3401 for "polishing paint".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I'd contact Flex.
    I did about about 50 cars with mine and never heard any chirping noise.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a couple of threads on this topic so posting here too:

Ok guys, this took me a long time to figure this out. Finally found this forum and it got me going on the correct path. If your FLEX 3401 is making a squeaking or chirping sound here is how to fix it. Or at least how I did.

Take the backing plate off. Then take off the four screws that hold the houseing. Obviously, this is beneath the backing plate. After you take the housing off you will see a gear that spins sticking out of the middle of the unit. I sprayed the hell out of that with some Fluid Film Lubricant. Sound went away! You can run the buffer with everything off to confirm before putting it back together.

So relieved as I thought I was going to need to send in for repair or buy a new one. Not sure if the fluid film will last. I should have had the correct machine grease whatever type that may be but I did not have any. I'll post back and let you know how long this lasted. But if you don't here from me the fluid film is still working. Maybe someone can let us know what is the correct grease and where to buy it.