autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Shop Lighting

After many searches and not really coming up with a good answer, I thought I would ask the group. I am currently trying to budget some money to add some much needed lighting into the garage/shop area. I have installed a couple of the cheap fluorescent lights from Home Depot/Lowes. They seem to do ok, but the bulbs seem to change the true color of things at times.
    My question is what type of lighting and fixtures are you using?
    Do you recommend 4' or 8' single or double row?
    Type of bulbs: T5, T8 or T12?
    Daylight, Neutral, Natural?

I am curious as most of my work will be done if the evening, I would like to see what you guys are using.

Any help or guidance wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop Lighting

What size is your shop? Mine is 22 x 20 and I have 2-4 ft t-8's on either side, 2 in the middle and two in the front. I think mine are bright white and I have plenty of light.

Stay away from t-12's and I haven't tried t5's yet but t'8's work great for me. Also 4 foot bulbs are much easier to handle.

This is not a very good picture but maybe it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.

Shop Lighting-image-jpg
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    What size is your shop? Mine is 22 x 20 and I have 2-4 ft t-8's on either side, 2 in the middle and two in the front. I think mine are bright white and I have plenty of light.

Stay away from t-12's and I haven't tried t5's yet but t'8's work great for me. Also 4 foot bulbs are much easier to handle.

This is not a very good picture but maybe it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.

Shop Lighting-image-jpg
    I have a 2 1/2 car garage. I have a lot of junk I am trying to clean out, but the area is 18' x 30'. The big issue that I have is that the ceiling is not very tall, so the lighting needs to be fairly low profile to clear the garage door.
    Thanks for the info on the lights, I do have a couple T8's, but we are switching over to the T5's at work. We have lights that are 30' mounted on the ceiling and you can get a sun tan off them at floor level, but the fixtures are $3xx each. Of course these are for industrial applications, not that I would need that. The only reason I was thinking was for the efficiency, they cost next to nothing to run.

Thanks for the pictures, looks like you have a really nice shop, I hope to have mine look that good.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

general use: t8 fixtures. fluro bulbs in the daylight spectrum with CRI of 90 or better

I also have a few CFL bulbs along the walls. still could use more horizontal lighting. and if I do interiors in the shop I wear a headlamp (IMO just can't duplicate how well natural lighting helps with interiors)

for paint correction I turn off the fluros and rely on a handful of LED flood lights I have mounted. PAR38 single diode LED bulbs in the daylight spectrum

more info in here

The Mr. Sparkle Garage - How it Started - Extreme Shop Makeover
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    general use: t8 fixtures. fluro bulbs in the daylight spectrum with CRI of 90 or better

I also have a few CFL bulbs along the walls. still could use more horizontal lighting. and if I do interiors in the shop I wear a headlamp (IMO just can't duplicate how well natural lighting helps with interiors)

for paint correction I turn off the fluros and rely on a handful of LED flood lights I have mounted. PAR38 single diode LED bulbs in the daylight spectrum

more info in here

Thanks so much guys, this will really help. I appreciate the suggestions. I never thought about turning fluros off and using the Halogens, I have three two bulb Halogens each on stands, I many have to dig out the other two and try that also.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my set up i use daylight bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of these some time ago. I'd like a few more. They really light things up nicely.

Lithonia Lighting Industrial 6-Light High Bay Hanging Fixture-IB 632 MVH at The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post

more info in here

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Here is my set up i use daylight bulbs.
    Todd, that looks great. I like the (4) bulb lights, I was thinking about that, they look like T5's. I am planning on pricing the fixtures out based upon all the feedback, some really great links. I would love to add the lights on the walls, almost like a light booth, but in my case this is not possible. I think I will just need to work with the Halogens for that. I saw post for the LED rope lights, this is intriguing.
    I think I will start with mapping the area out and as you have in your shop I also have duct work to work around as well as storage racks, tool boxes, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmanjohn View Post
    Thanks so much guys, this will really help. I appreciate the suggestions. I never thought about turning fluros off and using the Halogens, I have three two bulb Halogens each on stands, I many have to dig out the other two and try that also.

try large single diode LED bulbs. much less power and much less heat.
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast