autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet Steam and PSI/ Dupray Hill vs VX5000 Steamers

I have been thinking about a steamer for quite awhile but trying to be diligent to purchase the correct product the first time. I have questions for owners of either steamer above in regards to wet steam and psi.
    I will use this product mainly for auto interiors. I want a steamer that a professional detailer would want for quality and durability.

I have just watched a video of the vx5000 and my first impression was the steam was fairly wet.

Questions:

1) Is wet steam ok and actually helps a bit in detailing?

2) PSI ideal for interiors. Is the Dupray Hill injection too powerful for interiors or is it's extra psi of 121 helpful as compared to the vx5000.

3) Any other thoughts that are helpful in use in practical use of these units?

Thank You!
    Last edited by silvermesa; 10-05-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Correct pucntuation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet Steam and PSI/ Dupray Hill vs VX5000 Steamers

Going to bump this thread a bit since it has been several days and further refine the question a bit.

Does the VX5000 do everything you wish it could for interior work or do you wish for more power for certain tasks?

Does the Dupray Hill Injection have too much power for interior work?

Thank you all in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

The Dupray has 3 settings for steam. On the handle there are two steam buttons that can be switched on and then a third button that can be pressed for the injection.

I use the single steam button only for interiors. In my opinion if both steam buttons were switched on there would be way too much steam coming out. Start with least aggressive(1 steam button pressed) and use the two if you feel it is needed.

The dupray comes with multiple tools to assist in cleaning jobs. There is a triangle tool you can attach a terry cloth or mf around. It works great on seats or carpets. Also, using the single steam option to spray a surface and wipe with a mf.

The hill injection would soak an interior. I have never found a use for it on interiors. It works great for grime build up in door jambs or around the gas cap.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply, Wors.

Have you cleaned headliners and leather with your dupray hill on the low setting? I assume these might be the most sensitive areas in an interior. How did you feel about the power level for these sensitive areas?
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I have not cleaned headliners with it yet. Other members suggest to be careful with a steamer on headliners. It can separate the glue? Again, no experience cleaning a headliner with the Dupray.

From reading recommendations of others I do not clean leather seats with the Dupray either. I stick to leather cleaner and conditioner specific products. Dupray has videos showing leather seats being cleaned with the steamer. It would be best if you verified with them the settings to perform leather cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermesa View Post
    I have been thinking about a steamer for quite awhile but trying to be diligent to purchase the correct product the first time. I have questions for owners of either steamer above in regards to wet steam and psi.
    I will use this product mainly for auto interiors. I want a steamer that a professional detailer would want for quality and durability.

I have just watched a video of the vx5000 and my first impression was the steam was fairly wet.

Questions:

1) Is wet steam ok and actually helps a bit in detailing?

2) PSI ideal for interiors. Is the Dupray Hill injection too powerful for interiors or is it's extra psi of 121 helpful as compared to the vx5000.

3) Any other thoughts that are helpful in use in practical use of these units?

Thank You!
    I don't think you could call the steam out of any of the higher priced steam cleaners wet. On a hot day in a hot interior you are not going to get much condensation. I like to spray an APC and then hit it with a blast of steam, this works well. I have not used a VX5000 but I do know I appreciate the output of the Dupray. While I sometimes give it a fast pass over leather, just to add some moisture I have never tried to clean leather with steam. When applied from a few inches away I find steam works well on headliners, I really like it on glass.

The Dupray Hill Injection is as much power and quality as you can get in a 120 volt package. The first time I saw it I was really surprised at how small it is. If cost is not a factor Dupray is the way to go. If you are trying to make money the VX5000 at about a third of the price makes more sense.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never used the dupray - but can comment on the vx5000. We never use it on headliners first off, due to the heat loosening up the glue. The power of the vx5000 is more than enough for interiors and can still be too much at times (have to get a feel for distance and how long to hold steam to area being cleaned). Ive never understood why people jack up the power - only because the stock power can damage plastic areas and gentle carpets. There are two switches that blow steam from wand - first shoots dry steam out, the other gives the steam a boost but also becomes more wet. Either way, we have been able to successfully turnaround horrible interiors using the vx (which is why we have 2). Hope this helps man
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

VX5000 is great for interiors and basic steam work. More than enough power, however if anyone hasn't told you tools are way more important. Get horsehair and start scrubbing safely. Duspray is a bit more heavy duty IMO.