autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What towels should I be using?

Do the drying towels ever get rinsed? It seems that dirt and debris particles would get trapped in the mf and then cause scratching when they are used before washing/rinsing
    2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6 (Black)
    2012 Subaru Outback (Dk. Blue)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    Do the drying towels ever get rinsed? It seems that dirt and debris particles would get trapped in the mf and then cause scratching when they are used before washing/rinsing
    Used before washing/rinsing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    The paint should be clean by the time the drying towel touches the paint. Recently another member posted about the Gary Dean Wash Method. There are multiple videos on youtube showing his rinseless wash method. Check them out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. So How about this. Using the Supreme 530 towels for buffing off sealant and applying QD to the paint. Then using a Supreme Guzzler waffle weave to dry when washing. Then using the MF towels that I already have for windows, wheels, exhaust, interior, etc.

EDIT: or should I use the guzzler HD for blotting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgill76 View Post
    I'm going to be using chemical guys citrus wash and gloss for the really dirty washes (sheepskin mitt and waffle weave to dry).

When I use ONR what should I use to wash and then dry? (I know microfiber to dry but which one)
    There are many opinion to this, but I like shaggy microfibers, like the 600 gsm purple Cobras:

...Or similar green ones from Microfiber Tech:

I think that fluffy towels will drag less dirt on the surface. Some people use sponges or waffle weave drying towels, but I don't see how they could be better. Once the panel has been cleaned, then use a waffle weave towel to dry it.

When I use sealer what should I use to apply and then buff off? (the CCS applicators? and then which microfiber to buff off)
    Again you will get many opinions and there isn't a wrong answer as long as you get an even thin coat down. To apply, I tend to like foam ones a little better. I thing the CCS ones are a little large, but when I use them I just use the edge. The round yellow foam disks work well:

...And if you want something really nice - get the Dodo Juice Supernatural Foam Finger Applicators:

... Just don't use them when it's really hot, as they will make your hands sweat. The P21S foam applicators(firm, good for applying harder waxes) are EXCELLENT:

...And the Chemical Guys Red UFO applicators are great as well, they have a beveled edge:

To apply wax or sealant, try to avoid anything that looks like this:

Because they are super flimsy and tend to scrunch up like this:

To remove, a medium weight microfiber that is very soft is good. One in the 300-420 gsm range. The gold Cobra Jrs :

aren't bad and all vendors sell towels in this range. The new AG Woobie towel looks good for this as well. Towels of 100% Korean origin are extra nice ( and more costly)

Korean Towel from MF Tech:

Korean Towel from Rag Shack:

I'm just kind of confused as to all of the microfiber towels there are and I'm trying to get the correct ones I need.
    Maybe this will help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so how about this.

Use a waffle weave HD guzzler to blot with

Then use the supreme 550 to dry the left over if there is any, buff off sealant, and use for QD.

Are the CCS red applicators not that good for applying sealant to paint? And what would I use to apply sealant to wheels/exhaust? (currently just have foam applicators)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12