autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Best Rotary Buffer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeWalt 849

6 15.00%
  • Hitachi SP18VA

14 35.00%
  • Makita 9227C

10 25.00%
  • Porter Cable 7428

10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Rotary

Post Thanks / Like

Best Rotary

Well, before I go off spending money without asking again, which is the best? I have (at least) 3 years experience with a very nice rotary, so there is no question about my comfort level with a rotary on my cars. I just would like to know which one is recommended by users on this board. I was favoring the DeWalt 849, but I want a buffer with a good warranty, not too much vibration, and a good value. (If I can't have all that, I want as much as I can get). Also, I have the 6" E2K pad kit, and am contemplating the 8" Wave Pad kit from edge. Opinions? Thanks guys, this forum rocks!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    They really are all good tools and they all will delivery stellar results in the right hands. I don't think there's one best choice for everyone, which is why I'm glad we have many choices. I've used all the rotaries listed here and more. I chose the Hitachi because I was able to get it locally at a very good price (before AG sold them). It also had the best warranty (5 years) as opposed to 1 year for most of the other polishers. It was also 0.4 lbs lighter than the Makita, but I would have been just as happy with the Makita.

Some people prefer the DeWalt, but the Hitachi is 2 pounds lighter, has a more powerful motor, a better warranty, etc. One guy I know will only buy DeWalt and doesn't like my Hitachi because he prefers a heavier tool, but then he'd probably really hate the Metabo rotary because it weighs in just shy of 5lbs. It's also very expensive, but some people swear by this machine just as some swear by Fein, some by Makita, etc.

I have the Edge pads in both 8" and 6", but I prefer the 6" pads with my rotary unless I'm doing a larger flatter surface. I find that the 6" pads work the tighter contours and smaller areas better for me. And I find myself sharing the the 6" pads between my PC and rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've only used the Hitachi, so I can't comment on the other brands. That said, I really like the Hitachi. It's light, runs smoothly, good warranty. No complaints.
    Last edited by Sevenrd; 12-27-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hitachi is cheap, has the best warranty, lightest in weight, and most power. Seems like an underdog, except its green in color.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Hitachi and couldn't be happier with it. I love how it is light weight and it is a lot quieter than the old Dewalt I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Dewalt Rotary. It is noicey and a little heavy. I have never had a problem with it. I recently purchased a Hitachi Miter Saw and it also had more features, more power and was less money then the Dewalt. I think most of the Hatachi tools are a better value then Dewalt. I have not had much luck with Mikita Tools. I have no complaints about any of my Porter Cable tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the Makita, and own a Dewalt. I like both. no complaint from either.
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    How is the Porter Cable 7428?
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    never heard of the PC 7428
    WWZS - What Would Zinn Say

Teacher by Day: Speed Dreamer at Night

Post Thanks / Like
    none.

Metabo is the only rotary specially designed for polishing, it has a nice procetag, but it is without a doubt a beautifully balanced machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast