autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Best Rotary Buffer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeWalt 849

6 15.00%
  • Hitachi SP18VA

14 35.00%
  • Makita 9227C

10 25.00%
  • Porter Cable 7428

10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Rotary

Post Thanks / Like
    Makita here,no complaints..

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I'll probably get the Hitachi from Autogeek, but is there an Edge 2000 adapter kit available for the Hitachi? I still have my E2k pad kit (with the PC adapter which won't get used anymore) so I want to be able to use it, and I'm a big fan of the Edge pads. Thanks in advance!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Malu59RT
    Ok, so I'll probably get the Hitachi from Autogeek, but is there an Edge 2000 adapter kit available for the Hitachi? I still have my E2k pad kit (with the PC adapter which won't get used anymore) so I want to be able to use it, and I'm a big fan of the Edge pads. Thanks in advance!
    Jason
    Hi Jason. All you need is the adapter in this link at Autogeek.
    http://www.autogeek.net/e206.html

The adapters between the d/a and rotary are different and the one above will definitely fit the Hitachi. And your 6" pads from the d/a will work nicely with the Hitachi. Autogekk also has a rotary kit onsale right now for $99 - 20% (GREAT BUY). Some people prefer the 8" pads and some don't. I have both the 6" & 8" pads and I also prefer the 6" for most of my rotary work, but that's just me. Here's the link to the Autogeek rotary pad deal.
    http://www.autogeek.net/edge-rotary-kit.html

Have a bright and shiny New Years!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Mikita. I love it to death, but I've never tried any other brand so I can't say it's better or the best. It is great tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qadsan
    Hi Jason. All you need is the adapter in this link at Autogeek.
    http://www.autogeek.net/e206.html

The adapters between the d/a and rotary are different and the one above will definitely fit the Hitachi. And your 6" pads from the d/a will work nicely with the Hitachi. Autogekk also has a rotary kit onsale right now for $99 - 20% (GREAT BUY). Some people prefer the 8" pads and some don't. I have both the 6" & 8" pads and I also prefer the 6" for most of my rotary work, but that's just me. Here's the link to the Autogeek rotary pad deal.
    http://www.autogeek.net/edge-rotary-kit.html

Have a bright and shiny New Years!
    See, I had looked at that edge adapter kit, but it didn't show the Hitachi as an option, and at the bottom of the hitachi page, it doesn't show a Edge2k kit as an option. If you are POSITIVE that it will work, I will order the hitachi and edge adapter. Thank you so much for your help!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Malu59RT
    ...If you are POSITIVE that it will work, I will order the hitachi and edge adapter. Thank you so much for your help!

Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Yes, I'm positive it will work on the Hitachi. I have a couple Hitachi's and use this exact same adapter on mine. Oh, and another thing you'll find is that your Edge pads will probably last longer when using them with a rotary.

7. Likes florenceccollinsc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Rotary

The rotary has the ability to leave a very clear, high gloss finish whereas on some paint systems, using the same pad and product, (as used on the rotary), you'll see haze left by the DA Polisher which is actually a type of scratch or tick mark.

The rotary of course can leave very fine, hard to see holograms which can be easily masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant. The haze or tick marks left by a DA Polisher can be removed by further polishing or they can easily be masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant like holograms by a rotary can be masked.
    he kit I got comes with an edge guide, plunge base, and the standard adjustable height base with the groove for attaching the edge guide.
    Setup is super easy. The latch lock makes changing the base a breeze, and allows for a lot of options during your projects. I was switching in and out of the plunge base for a recent project I did; it takes no time at all.
    The body is not bulky so it's very easy to maneuver. It basically feels like you're using a really fat pencil, which is great for more complicated routing endeavors. I was able to easily trace over some Chinese Calligraphy for a sign, just as if I was the one writing it.https://finalscope.com/makita-rt0701c-router/ I used it to make a Chinese Chess/Go game board, which, (if you've never seen one or either) involves a lot of intersecting lines. Using the edge guide for the perimeter made that a whole lot easier (I used a straight edge for the innermost areas of the grid.) Then switched to the plunge base to do the dots where your pieces go. Just set the depth and drop it where you want it.

Note these results are pre-SMAT technology. Haven't been able to polish enough cars with Super Micro Abrasive Technology to know for sure but this technology has so far looked like it can produce as good or better results finishing with a DA Polisher and the right foam finishing pad and technique as a rotary with out the haze or tick marks. Time will tell.

Always keep in mind that different paint types will react differently so what works on one paint system may not work on a different paint system. This is where it helps a detailer to have the knowledge, skill and experience to first do a test spot and insure your pad, product and process of choice will make a small area look good before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips

Kind of looking like spam to me?

You make this post about the rotary buffer but in the cent of it you start talking about wood working tools and then include a LINK to a website that sells wood working tools.

Quote Originally Posted by florenceccollinsc View Post

The rotary has the ability to leave a very clear, high gloss finish whereas on some paint systems, using the same pad and product, (as used on the rotary), you'll see haze left by the DA Polisher which is actually a type of scratch or tick mark.

The rotary of course can leave very fine, hard to see holograms which can be easily masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant. The haze or tick marks left by a DA Polisher can be removed by further polishing or they can easily be masked with a coat of quality car wax or a paint sealant like holograms by a rotary can be masked.

Then comes this part?

The kit I got comes with an edge guide, plunge base, and the standard adjustable height base with the groove for attaching the edge guide.
    Setup is super easy. The latch lock makes changing the base a breeze, and allows for a lot of options during your projects. I was switching in and out of the plunge base for a recent project I did; it takes no time at all.
    The body is not bulky so it's very easy to maneuver. It basically feels like you're using a really fat pencil, which is great for more complicated routing endeavors. I was able to easily trace over some Chinese Calligraphy for a sign, just as if I was the one writing it.Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 Hp Wood Compact Router review | Final Scope I used it to make a Chinese Chess/Go game board, which, (if you've never seen one or either) involves a lot of intersecting lines. Using the edge guide for the perimeter made that a whole lot easier (I used a straight edge for the innermost areas of the grid.) Then switched to the plunge base to do the dots where your pieces go. Just set the depth and drop it where you want it.

Moving forward - all your posts are being watched. We like to give people the benefit of the doubt but in the last 17 years I've been running discussion forums if it walks like duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck.

Then this part - looks like you copied and pasted someone else's post?

NOTE THE PORTION I CHANGED TO BLUE TEXT

Note these results are pre-SMAT technology. Haven't been able to polish enough cars with Super Micro Abrasive Technology to know for sure but this technology has so far looked like it can produce as good or better results finishing with a DA Polisher and the right foam finishing pad and technique as a rotary with out the haze or tick marks. Time will tell.

Always keep in mind that different paint types will react differently so what works on one paint system may not work on a different paint system. This is where it helps a detailer to have the knowledge, skill and experience to first do a test spot and insure your pad, product and process of choice will make a small area look good before going over the entire car.

In fact, I copied and pasted the first two sentences into Skynet and what do you know? You copied and pasted MY POST from this thread,

Final polishing step with a rotary or a DA?

NOTE THE PORTION I CHANGED TO BLUE TEXT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Wow!

Spamming our forum and plagerizing yours truly.

See ya....

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes Rotary is a fine machine. I’m waiting until AG gets the Rupes rotary polishes, they have the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Flex PE14-2 it’s light weight and a very well made machine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast